Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 11, 2005, 9:02 PM   #1

I am looking to buy a printer so that I can print photos at home. I have been doing some reasearch, but for the most part I am new to this so I thought I'd ask for some opinions. I have $200 to spend on a printer so I am assuming this means that I'll be looking at inkjet printers. I also assume that I should get a Photo Printer as opposed to say an all in one printer but I don't know that for sure. I see canon printers score well in reviews as far as quality and reliability. I also noticed while looking through some of the topics on this forum that canon printers seemed to be liked. Id like to be able to print up to 8.5 x 11 and dont really need to print much other than images and photos. So any suggestions for a $200 printer?

Thanks
mezark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 11, 2005, 11:27 PM   #2

You don't say which dollars you're spending, so I'll assume US$.

You are correct to assume you'll be looking at inkjets.

If you don't propose printing a lot, probably one of the Canon range (try and check the output of the sub-$200 units before deciding.)

If you'll be using the printer regularly, one of the Epson "R" series will give you excellent prints plus they come with (IMHO -- others may differ :-)) the most reliable software.

They also seem to have the best choice of aftermarket (read cheap) inks.

Do note, though, that Epson inkjets in general don't like being left unused, and the lower range units can be temperamental.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 12:11 AM   #3

Idle did touch on one reason many don't like Epsons--printhead clogging
especially if not used regularly. The Canons not only don't clog as easily
but their printheads are user removable and cleanable.

But for $200., you have a wide variety of choices and being a Canon fan, I will recommend some Canon models. I will also note I own a Canon ip4000 and an MP730.

If you want a non-chipped Canon, the ip 4000 or ip5000 would fall well below
$200. In recent weeks the MP 780, which is based on the ip4000 printer engine has been on sale at office max and staples at exactly $200.----and can usually be found at a buy it now price of $200. shipped on ebay. It prints, copies, faxes, and flat bed scans.--plus has a ADF.

For the chipped Canons--the ip4200 and 5200 will fall well below $200 and are really good also--except for the rip off chip that won't be a consideration if you plan to use OEM cartridges only.

$200 will also take you to the low end of photo only printers with a six color printer lacking a text black.-----I'll let others advise you there.

I will also disagree with Idle on one thing------the non-chipped Canons need not play second fiddle to Epson on cheap after market cartridges. I pay $1.39 on my color cartridges and get great quality.

But in my mind, that is what Epson and Canon have over HP and Lexmark-access to really cheap after market cartridges that make color photoprinting affordable.

Osage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 5:38 PM   #4

Thanks Idle and Osage both for all the info.

Osage... can you explain any more about what "chipped" and "non-chipped" is in the canon printers.

And I see the iP6600D has a rebate offered right now bringing it under the $200 mark, are you familiar at all with this model?
Old Dec 13, 2005, 3:21 PM   #5

Well I've read a bit more from various sites and forums and it seems I'm looking at either the ip5200 as Osage suggested or the ip6600d.

Everything I read about the ip5200 makes it sound like a good printer to start with, but I really like the idea of the 3.5-inch LCD and the media card slots on the ip6600d for my wife to be able to use with her camera and with the rebate its not that much more in price.

So can anyone say how it prints in comparison to the ip5200? I have read on several sites of the images printing slightly on the red side but others mention great images.