Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 12, 2005, 2:27 AM   #1

Is this true:

www.pcmag.com says : you can find review on its pages:

ip5000 has LOWER photo quality than ip 4200 ???

Difference between ip4200 and ip5000: Do they use the same print head?

What is better for printing photos: epson r220 or canon ip 5000 ip 4200 or ip 4000 ??

I think ip 4200 can not be manuall ink refilled : this CAUSES ing detection and guarantee disabled ??

Thanks
velikigrizli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2005, 3:57 AM   #2

velikigrizli wrote:
Quote:
Is this true:

http://www.pcmag.com says : you can find review on its pages:

ip5000 has LOWER photo quality than ip 4200 ???

Difference between ip4200 and ip5000: Do they use the same print head?

What is better for printing photos: epson r220 or canon ip 5000 ip 4200 or ip 4000 ??

I think ip 4200 can not be manuall ink refilled : this CAUSES ing detection and guarantee disabled ??

Thanks

I can't say anything about quality... i've not seen them used side by side. However the specs are different between the two pritners. This in it self could mean different heads or it could mean the ip4200 doesn't use as many nozzles as the ip5200.

According to what i'd consider an unreliable resource, some guy doing an amazon review... the ip5200 uses the qy6-0061. The ip4200 uses the qy6-0059 according to a more reliable resource, varous parts catalogs. The ip5000 is qy6-0057. -000 to all these to reflect a new part.

-nozzle count-
Black cyan magenta yellow dye black
ip5000 bk 320 c 256 m 256 y 128 b 128 qy6-0057
ip4200 bk 320 c 256 m 256 y 128 b 128 qy6-0059
ip5200 bk 512 c 512 m 512 y 256 b 256 ?qy6-0061?

But this is canon we are talking about and they could actually still be the same head. In fact, I have an ip3000 and mp760 basicly an ip4000. one takes 5 tanks the other takes 4 tanks. While the inktank holder is clearly a differnt size, there seems to be the exact same amount of nozzles sugesting that they might be the same head slapped on another part... just one set totally not used. I don't know this for a fact, i'd have to bolt it on and see if it fits but it makes sence, mass produce one head rather that having two or more seperate dies. The only way we'd know if they are similar or different is if someone reviews the printer and has a good solid scan of the head... like you tend to see on stevesdigicams.

I've heard the ip5000 described as others as a printer who doesn't have vivid mode on by default. One of canon's claim to fame are vivid colors... unrealistic in my eyes but people like that sorta thing.

Software has changed, v1.90 for the ip4200 and the ip5000 is still at v1.80 according to the canon site. I've tried v1.90 on my ip3000 but it simply doesn't work so I suspect the same would hold true for the ip5000. But drivers can affect quality. I'm not aware of the xp64 edition of the drivers for the ip5000.

Ink has changed. The ip4200 uses chromalife100 where I think the older bci-6 ink was called chromalife25. The japanese have been using chromalife100 for a while in bci-7 tanks IIRC.

These are many words for "I don't know" but hopefuly I gave you enough info so you can do your own homework.

-how the ip4200 can be different than the ip5000-
1. Color management
2. Software v1.80 vs v1.90 for win 32 [x64 version number not available]
3. head design
4. ink

But do take all pcmag reviews with a grain of salt. The target audence is your average consumer so they don't get into the technology too deeply and only do the most superficial reviews based on the out of the box settings.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 10:31 AM   #3

The iP4200 has the 1 picolitre dots like the iP5000. Steve thought the photo quality was excellent on the iP4200, so if you are making a choice based on price the iP4200 probably has the edge because of the ChromaLife inks.

There is a possible caveat. I have read that Canon has changed their ink level system with a chip in the cartridge. I have also read that it is like the Epson chip that disables the cartridge when it is almost empty according to calculated use. I don't think that is a big problem with wasted ink and you get a more accurate display of actual ink levels rather than the full or empty on the iP5000.

I have refilled my own cartridges for years with good quality ink, first with an old Canon, then two HPs andthen twomore Canons. A chip that disables the cartridge complicates the process. And unless there is a way to reset it so it starts calculating again for a full cartridge, you have no low ink warnings. The system in the iP5000 is perfect for refilling.

I am about to print 300 color newsletters for an organization I belong to. I don't even bother submitting an expense report for them as it is so cheap to print them with refill ink. Cost would be a real factor if I weren't filling the tanks as the newsletters will likely empty all of my tanks. And it is nice to start such a project with full tanks. I also like to top off my large black tank for a large two sided print job like a manual instead of having the print job stop in the middle with an ink warning. I find refilling actually more convenient than stocking spare carts. I would want to know more about whether the iP4200 has the new chips I have seen discussed.

But if you don't refill I think the iP4200 would be the better choice. The ink in the iP5000 fades rather quickly when exposed to indirect sunlight without glass. That is true for both Canon and aftermarket inks.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 5:51 AM   #4

What about epson r220 when lookig at photo quality??

Which is better ip5000 (ip4200) or r220 ..

Manuall ink refill or cheap non oem catridges COMES FIRST
velikigrizli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2005, 12:46 PM   #5

if ip4200 is hard to refill, is there continous flow system available?

i'm currently searching for decent ink jet printers which allow me to use continous ink/flow system and i don't like epson. since epson requires high maintenance.

how about HP printers, anyone recommend them?

thanks
XoMartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2005, 8:26 PM   #6

XoMartel wrote:
Quote:
if ip4200 is hard to refill, is there continous flow system available?

i'm currently searching for decent ink jet printers which allow me to use continous ink/flow system and i don't like epson. since epson requires high maintenance.

how about HP printers, anyone recommend them?

thanks
At present near as I'm aware there are not. The issue isn't the printer isn't easy to refill... it's as easy as before. Just you need cartridges with chips which only exist on OEM tanks, and those presently can not be reset, only through the driver software can the metering be disabled once the chip reaches empty... and you accept a message that says "canon usa isn't responcible for damage".

Near as I'm aware there are not continious flow systems for the ip4200... chips are required for the printer to print whether they are empty or not.
zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote