Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 13, 2005, 3:16 PM   #1

i'm in market for new printer. i've narrowed it down to these 2 models, although i'm open to suggestions. printer will be used only for color photos, mostly 4x6.

which would you choose? i'm leaning towards the 6000 because the printer is cheaper and inks are definitely cheaper.

is the better quality of 6600 and chromalife worth the cost difference? there's no way around the ink chips?
draggoon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2005, 5:39 PM   #2

The 6600 is suppose to be a much better printer. A friend who had the 6000 and then upgraded to the 6600 says it's a lot better. There were a couple of bugs with the 6000 that don't exist with the 6600.

He plans to refill the carts with bulk ink so the new carts aren't a big deal to him.

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...odelid10=11864
KnightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 4:35 AM   #3

draggoon01 wrote:
Quote:
i'm in market for new printer. i've narrowed it down to these 2 models, although i'm open to suggestions. printer will be used only for color photos, mostly 4x6.

which would you choose? i'm leaning towards the 6000 because the printer is cheaper and inks are definitely cheaper.

is the better quality of 6600 and chromalife worth the cost difference? there's no way around the ink chips?
There is presently no way that i'm aware around the chips, though the metering can be disabled... this is likely logged on the printer's firmware but I don't know this for a fact. I'm sure this will change at some point.

I had a theory setting the printer to japanese mode might resolve the issue, but alas this has been tested and failed on bci-6 bci-3e cartridges. bci-7 and bci-9 (japan only) are presently untested... but none too practical.

Given the choice between the i960 and the ip6000... i'd go the older model the i960. It lacks cd printing and can only be found on closeout but it's got more nozzles at the same resolution meaning less work per page.

The i6600D at least has a higher nozzle count, the drivers support a couple of paper types the old drivers do not, most notable is hagaki paper, and you can rotate your printing 180 degrees, a feature i'd actually use on my ip3000 if the driver had it.

I can't say anything about the quality between the two printers as i've not seen them side by size. Only you get 5pl and 1pl nozzles on the ip6600D and 5 and 2pl on the 6000D.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 7:13 AM   #4

I contacted MIS about bulk ink and carts for the new models and was told that they are studying the IP4200 in a lab but won't release any products for it until January.

Old Dec 19, 2005, 11:51 PM   #5

I work for Canon and I have printed lots of Photos off of HP, Epson, and Canon printers. I have done a comparrison between the ip6600d and the ip6000d, the ip6000d seems to have a more magnta cast over some images where the ip6600d does not. Also the dark areas where Canon has usually struggled is corrected, even to the point of creating a better photo than even the ip8500 or even the Epson R800. The colors are dead on. There is however a 2min. time wait for the color to absorb into the paper to get the final sharp colors. The ip6600d, is much sharper and there are less 'dots' seen. The new ink lasts 4 times longer. The ip6600d also can remove red eye without a computer.
StatiC Memory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 1:00 AM   #6

StatiC Memory wrote:
Quote:
The new ink lasts 4 times longer.
Really? I thought the older bci-6 ink was rated at 25years under glass and the new ink rated at 30 years under glass. This 4 times figure might refer to keeping it in an album on the premium paper refered to as dark storage in the fine print... but I don't think that was even tested on the bci-6 ink. Don't get me wrong a 20% improvement is something.... but we are not talking anywhere close to HP vivera inks or Epson's durabright or ultrachrome.

I guess you could mean resistance to ozone... but again 10 years on chromalife100 on what I presume to be canon's internal tests isn't all that great.

Old Dec 20, 2005, 1:06 AM   #7

zakezuke wrote:
Quote:
StatiC Memory wrote:
Quote:
The new ink lasts 4 times longer.
Really? I thought the older bci-6 ink was rated at 25years under glass and the new ink rated at 30 years under glass. This 4 times figure might refer to keeping it in an album on the premium paper refered to as dark storage in the fine print... but I don't think that was even tested on the bci-6 ink. Don't get me wrong a 20% improvement is something.... but we are not talking anywhere close to HP vivera inks or Epson's durabright or ultrachrome.

I guess you could mean resistance to ozone... but again 10 years on chromalife100 on what I presume to be canon's internal tests isn't all that great.

I would like to see any picture actually last 100 years without fading. It's just not going to happen even professional pictures fade.

PS: Check out the ongoing fade test: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=634

I bet we get some real surprises in how long those 60 to 100 year pictures will actually last.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 1:46 AM   #8

KnightCrawler wrote:
Quote:
I would like to see any picture actually last 100 years without fading. It's just not going to happen even professional pictures fade.

PS: Check out the ongoing fade test: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=634

I bet we get some real surprises in how long those 60 to 100 year pictures will actually last.
Keep in mind that the 100 year number is "dark storage" "in an album" in an reasonably air tight container on the premium paper. The test you are refering to are decent meters but are not going to meter an image away from light and air stored in an acid free book at a temp of 65F. Given those conditions.... and some of the older books I have as a vague reference point... but I do have a couple that have lasted 100+ years in simple box storage.