Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 14, 2005, 6:54 AM   #1

A few weeks ago I bought a brandnew Canon IP4000 because of raving reviews earlier this year and the availability of good quality aftermarket inks. By now I understand that the newer IP4200 uses a more lightfast ink (ChromaLife 100) however. According to a German website (http://www.druckerchannel.de) the new CLI ink cartridges are backwards compatible with the older printers. So I would be able to use the new ink on my 'old' IP4000. This seems logical as the new Canon ChromaLife inks are still dye based and the new printhead has smaller nozzles then my 'old' IP4000 (so clogging just because of ink particles is not possible).

The relevant German text on that website reads as follows:

Die neuen Patronen sind abwärtskompatibel, lassen sich also in die alten Drucker einsetzen. Wir haben das mit einer CLI-8Y und einem Pixma iP4000 getestet. Umgekehrt lassen sich die alten Patronen jedoch nicht in den neuen Druckern verwenden

UNQUOTE

Has anybody tried this for some time? Would be nice if this is indeed possible without causing damage to the old print head! Any sharing of expierence with the resulting color balance also very welcome.
Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 14, 2005, 7:34 AM   #2

A couple of users have tested this and the CLI-8 do fit and print fine with IP4000. I suppose Canon see it as a way to sell the better ink to people who have the older models.

KnightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 7:47 AM   #3

Daddy wrote:
Quote:
A few weeks ago I bought a brandnew Canon IP4000 because of raving reviews earlier this year and the availability of good quality aftermarket inks. By now I understand that the newer IP4200 uses a more lightfast ink (ChromaLife 100) however. According to a German website (http://www.druckerchannel.de) the new CLI ink cartridges are backwards compatible with the older printers. So I would be able to use the new ink on my 'old' IP4000. This seems logical as the new Canon ChromaLife inks are still dye based and the new printhead has smaller nozzles then my 'old' IP4000 (so clogging just because of ink particles is not possible).

Has anybody tried this for some time? Would be nice if this is indeed possible without causing damage to the old print head! Any sharing of expierence with the resulting color balance also very welcome.
There are things I know, and things I don't know.

I know Japan has the bci-7 and bci-9 for their printers including the ip6600d... and near as i'm aware they had those new spiffy chromalife100 inks for the ip4100 and ip5100 on the same head as far as i'm aware. The key difference is the model designation... i.e. you have to enter service mode to trully make an ip4000 a pixus ip4100.

What I don't know is if the cli-8 and the bci-7s are 100% the same. They could be different on a whole other level, and I would not know this as i'm not in japan nor have I taken the time to order from a site like amazon.co.jp.

I imagine one could ask canon japan... in that sort of "I plan to buy a pixus but plan to move to the states where they don't sell bci-7. Would cli-8 do the trick".

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 5:16 PM   #4

Hi Nightcrawler,

Many yhanks for your input. Do you know if any of those members posted details/outcome of their experiment somewhere on this forum? If have tried a number of searches but unfortunately could not find anything. Are you willing to post a link to their postings if they made any?
Old Dec 14, 2005, 5:30 PM   #5

Hi Zakezuke,

Thanks for your appreaciated input. I did find a comment by Canon (no link for now as I forgot how/where I found it...) stating that the new cartridges were unsuitable for the 'old' printers because the new cartridges have a chip. Ehhh... this sounds likeCanon is stating: YES from a form, fit and ink point of viewthey are backwards compatible but we do not want to advertise that fact.

Well, anyway, by now I have decided to try it for myself as soon as I have used up my current stock of BCI-6 compatible cartridges. The worst thing that can happen is that Iprematurely wearout the IP4000 print headandall I risk in that process is about $80 for a new print head or a new IP4200 printer either of which will not bankrupt me.

I will post my resuls with scans of the output.