Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 15, 2005, 6:53 PM   #1

I went to my local retail store and Canon ip5000 model printer was discontinued....After reading all the printer forums, I had decided on getting this printer, because of it's attributes and features. What's the closest printer out there to the ip5000 that I could get....

Ssalibian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2005, 8:04 PM   #2

First, just because your local retailer does not have the canon ip5000
in stock does not mean the printer can't be had from other vendors.

But it is correct that Canon has discontinued this fine printer--hoping to suck you in to buying their now chipped sucessors------the ip4200 and ip5200. Which may be slightly better technology at the cost of buying into chipped cartridges.---which means that using third party cartridge vendors is out and using refilling is more difficult.------at least until a workwaround is found for the chips.----but if you plan to use OEM Canon cartridges anyway, by all means get the ip5200.

But the Canon ip5000 was somewhat the flagship of the previous generation of Pixma general purpose printers.---consisting of the ip3000, 4000, and 5000.----the pixma ip3000 has one text black cartridge and the three primary color indivual cartridges. The ip4000 adds just a dye based photoblack to the mix. While the ip5000 dropped the ip3000&4000's drop size from 2 pl to 1 pl while retaining the photoblack of the ip4000.

Higher number Canon's start to be dedicated photoprinters and drop the text black cartridge.-hence becoming less general purpose and more photoprinters only. And the newer ones are chipped also.

So decide what you want your printer for---decide if you want previous generation Canons that use the BCI-3&6 cartridges. And then look to online vendors if you can't find one retail. Let your fingers do the walking----still lots of ip5000's under store shelves.----its a real fine printer.
Osage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 8:21 PM   #3

So3 questions then,

i) is it worth it to get 5200 rather than the 5000. I would need black text printing as well as colour. That's what i loved about the 5000 vs 6000. you could do both well on the 5000 rather than the 6000 which focuses only oncolor printing.

ii)What is this new chipped technology on the 5200..

iii) Why wouldCanon discontinue such a great printer?

Old Dec 15, 2005, 9:08 PM   #4

I have the IP5200R (wireless model) and it prints plain text extremely well, and mixed text and color graphics quite well.

On the photo front, it prints photos better than stuff I've sent to Snapfish, and better than my 3-in-1 inkjet.

The results are pretty much what you'd expect than if you sent your prints out to a high end photo printer service (ie. more upmarket than Walmart).

So, I'd very much recommend the IP5200R.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 10:28 PM   #5

To answer your questions in reverse order.

3. Why did canon discontinue the ip5000?---my answer is that they want you to use the new chipped Canon printers so they can force you to use their ink..---their selling point is the slightly better cromalife ink

2. Whats with the chips?----the long and short of it are the CLI-8 colors and the BCI-5 text black are very similar to the BCI-3&6 cartridges they replace--except Canon adds a chip at the cost of $2.25 extra per cartridge. Which means you can no longer use third party non-oem cartridges--no Canon chip no print. In terms of refilling, they can still be refilled but-----the chip counts nozzle fires and when the chip says you should be out of ink----it shuts that cartridge down even if its been refilled. You can navigate some nag screens but its at minimum a pain----and Canon will know you are refilling if you have a warranty claim--although the extent to which it voids the warranty may be dubious. But for someone like me who likes using third party prefilled cartridges, its a somewhat fatal flaw--at least until a workaround is found.----see other posts on this forum for more detail.

1. As the previous poster stated, the ip5200 is a great general purpose printer. No doubt about that------but all in all I would opt for the non-chipped ip5000 if I planned to use anything but Canon OEM cartridges.------the R version adds wireless networking for more money----otherwise both versions print the same.
Osage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2005, 6:13 AM   #6

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...modelid9=10439

Check out the difference between the 5000 vs 5200 , the 5200 is pretty awesome. The only downside is the microchip in the carts stops you from buying carts from places like www.swiftink.com.

You can still refill the carts though. Some people are just lazy ortobusy to be bothered.

If you take the average 100 people, 90 will buy OEM carts, 9 will buy generic carts and 1 will refill. The microchip carts stops the 9 people who buy generic carts.
KnightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2005, 9:00 AM   #7

Cool.. thanks to everybody who replied.. It was in-depth and informative. Especially Knightcrawler who replied at 7:13 in the AM to help me out..

Cheers
Old Dec 16, 2005, 9:19 AM   #8

The ChromaLife ink is evidently better if you plan to use Canon refills.

There is a downside to refilling the chipped carts even though you can get around the shutdown in the driver (unlike Epson). You lose the low ink warning and can burn up your print heads if you aren't careful. I like having the low ink warning. The low ink warning can also keep you from wasting photo paper and ink on a bad print. The Canon warning goes off when the tank empties but there is still plenty of ink in the sponge. I like having the warning.

It didn't take the aftermarket cartridge people long to make chips for the Epsons. You will find aftermarket tanks for the Canons soon. They are a little pricier than without chips, but considerably cheaper than OEM.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2005, 2:29 AM   #9

They are not gone yet .......... There are several locations in Canada for under $150.00 CDN ... I bought one for a back up the other day ... ( ip4000 was at $119.00 CDN also but it was pick-up ) .. These are new and not refurbished ... now if you seek the UK roller and tray equiped model then ... I do not have a clue .. but would recomend a Yahoo UK search :-) Just cked ..they seem to have eleven left :-) Free shipping in Canada ... So no problem for someone in Canada to get you one ...
rocor98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2005, 3:20 AM   #10

Backup ip5000 delivered today ... UPS ... "If" I sell the OEM ink on eBay I have a backup print head and a complete body for very little over the cost of a new printhead ... I already have a few trays ..so the way I see it I have good coverage for awhile :-)

Not my intention to sell the ink ... will keep for awhile and may feed my stock printer a taste of OEM after 6 months .. so I am not soliciting requests .. just pointing out value

I have always wondered just how well these printers stand up over time with all the gear turning to lower and raise the carts for printing disks ... is there less adjustment if not using the bottom paper feed

Comments welcome

rocor98 is offline   Reply With Quote