Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 17, 2005, 10:03 AM   #1

Hello all -

I'm having a problem with a slight smudging when I print DVD's with my modded Canon IP5000. My DVD label design is quite simple, several lines of text at the bottom and a small square picture on the top, all on a white background (ie, the unprinted white surface of the DVD). My printed discs look great, except that there is a fine smudge of blue which extends left one-quarter inch or so from the left margin of the photo.

This is definitely a printing problem, not a 'wet ink getting smudged after the disc leaves the printer' problem; the smudge is present on every disc as it is ejected from the printer, and the completed discs are fully resistent to smudging in all other respects (ie, the ink has dried properly and is adhering nicely to the surface of the disc).

The smudging is the same whether I use the OEM Canon tray or my own homemade cardboard tray. I use Canon OEM ink, and Ritek Ridata white printable DVD's. I'm printing from CD-LabelPrint.

Any suggestions about how I might eliminate this problem?

Thanks,
Zack
Zack23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 23, 2005, 3:09 AM   #2

New printer Zack ... first prints ?

Some of the printheads come with a cyan colored fluid in the head ... may have been a lot in your case ..

1. I would confirm your cyan tank is not leaking .. remove it and have a look at the bottom of the print head ... see if you have a spill .. never have the tank out for longer than 10 min or you can get ink drying in the print head

2. Do a cleaning ( light clean ) and see if it continues ..

3. If this was after your first cyantank fill ... some instructions onsites do not suggest you cover the air intake on the cart ... I do not cover it but I also use a cart holder and just swab the bottom of the cart after filling to be sure there is not a large drop of ink that will create an excess

Post some more info so you can get help .........

rocor98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2005, 10:15 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I checked the cyan cartridge, and everything looked fine. It's a new OEM Canon cartrdige so there aren't any refilling issues. I'll try doing a head clean, but I'm out of printable DVD's just now, so I'll have to wait until I can buy some more.

Incidentally, I forgot to mention this in my original post, but the problem only exists when I print discs; the same design printed on paper is fine.

Zack
Old Dec 26, 2005, 1:05 PM   #4

try doing a bottom plate cleaning. That seemed to clear up my smudging problem.
weapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 12:06 PM   #5

I've tried the bottom plate cleaning before, it didn't seem to make any difference. I don't think that head cleaning was the issue, since there was no equivalent smudging when I printed on white paper.

However, I think I solved the problem. I had been printing on Ritek white printable discs, which have a very smooth surface. I just tried printing on some Taiyo Yuden white printable discs, which have a rougher surface, and the smudging problem disappeared. I switched to the TY blank discs because of reports of quality issues with 8X Ritek blanks (I had been using the 4X, which are no longer available), and resolving this slight smudging issue is a nice bonus. However, the smoother surface on the Ritek blanks gave a really nice, professional appearance to the printed discs which I will miss!

Zack