Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 18, 2005, 10:48 PM   #1

I have an Epson 1270 I haven't used in a couple of years now and am wondering if it is likely to be any good. The color ink light out flashes and I guess it needs a new color and probably black ink cartridges. I know about the orange shift problems it had. I just recently got back into digital photography and have started printing again with another printer.

If I were to buy new ink would this printer be likely to still print good? Don't really want to waste the time and money if its not going to work well. The old cartridges have been in there at least two years if not more. Would the nozzles be clogged too bad for it to ever work right. Also with newer papers and inks does this printer still have problems?

I have an R300 I use now that seems to do pretty well.
waxking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2005, 5:08 AM   #2

waxking1 wrote:
Quote:
I have an Epson 1270 I haven't used in a couple of years now and am wondering if it is likely to be any good. The color ink light out flashes and I guess it needs a new color and probably black ink cartridges. I know about the orange shift problems it had. I just recently got back into digital photography and have started printing again with another printer.

If I were to buy new ink would this printer be likely to still print good? Don't really want to waste the time and money if its not going to work well. The old cartridges have been in there at least two years if not more. Would the nozzles be clogged too bad for it to ever work right. Also with newer papers and inks does this printer still have problems?

I have an R300 I use now that seems to do pretty well.
I'm not too fluent in all the epson models, but I would hazzard to guess this is one of the decent ones worth exploring the possibility of using. The drop size would be larger than your r300, 4pl IIRC but given IIRC it's an a3 superB printer that's quite acceptable. I believe this printer was dye based, taking a single black and a 5 color multi tank. It's something if I saw second hand I'd consider picking up as I wouldn't mind doing posters, and epson is actually really good with color.

There is a man who posts on the newsgroups that offers epson cleaning manuals. Never used it my self but it's worth looking into. He would know much more than I about the subject, and actually likely to be familar with the specific issues.

http://groups.google.com/group/comp....1654fef6779b22

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2005, 10:04 AM   #3

Thank's for the advice and link. I guesss it is worth a shot. I will just buy some new cartridges first and see how it prints or if it will print.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 10:57 AM   #4

I put new ink cartridges in the 1270 and it is working again. When comparing to the R300 the 1270 prints look a lot better. I was surprised by the difference.

The latest driver for the 1270 is from 2001. Seems like Epson would have an updated driver. I was having problems printing 4x6 on Premium Photo Glossy paper. The printer is printing too wide with a border on 3 sides and part of the picture missing on one side. I'm not sure if this is a printer or driver problem. I think I may have been using Windows 98 the last time I used this printer and I had it hooked up with a parallel cable. Last time I used it, this was never a problem. I now am using XP with a USB cable.

I tried an 8 x 10 an it printed perfectly, so maybe the printer is not recognizing the paper size on the smaller prints, I'm not sure. Anyone have any ideas on how to correct this problem?
Old Dec 20, 2005, 5:23 PM   #5

waxking1 wrote:
Quote:
I put new ink cartridges in the 1270 and it is working again. When comparing to the R300 the 1270 prints look a lot better. I was surprised by the difference.

The latest driver for the 1270 is from 2001. Seems like Epson would have an updated driver. I was having problems printing 4x6 on Premium Photo Glossy paper. The printer is printing too wide with a border on 3 sides and part of the picture missing on one side. I'm not sure if this is a printer or driver problem. I think I may have been using Windows 98 the last time I used this printer and I had it hooked up with a parallel cable. Last time I used it, this was never a problem. I now am using XP with a USB cable.

I tried an 8 x 10 an it printed perfectly, so maybe the printer is not recognizing the paper size on the smaller prints, I'm not sure. Anyone have any ideas on how to correct this problem?
Quote:
Amazing isn't it... to be honest I wasn't fluent enough in these epson models to judge, I was only willing to wager spiffy enough to do posters. The r200/r300 from my experence... well while not all that great... the output was fab... esp considering it was a sub $100 printer... vs an older sub $400 printer. Epsons have been really spiffy for a very long time, generally speaking. Part of the reason the r200/r300 according to what I got from an authority is it's using an older head. Makes sense... something already in mass production being reused for the next generation models while the $400 models get something more spiffy.

If you have issues... which well Epsons IMHO do tend to have issues... do contact "Arthur Entlich". via the prior link for the cleaning manual. This sucker is worth, while not lots of bucks, at least equal value to your r300. More so if you take into account the fact that anything super-b sized new is going to at least cost double the value of the r300.

Quote:
The latest driver for the 1270 is from 2001. Seems like Epson would have an updated driver.
If it's not broken don't fix it. Seriously... I know it's hard to believe in this age where new software comes out ever 1.5 years but assuming the software works well, does it's job, and no real reason to add any wiz bango nifty new features... there is no real reason to come out with a new version... well except for windows x64 which would require new device drivers which if i'm not mistaken come stock with the newest version of windows... or at least xp64 pro. *note* i'm not saying they're going to be better, improve problems, only newer designed for a different platform. They may cause problems, features may have been dropped, but something *written recently* exists for the next operating system.

Quote:
I was having problems printing 4x6 on Premium Photo Glossy paper. The printer is printing too wide with a border on 3 sides and part of the picture missing on one side.
The first thing that comes to mind is when I do 3x5 cards sometimes I accidently hit landscape... a mistake I tend to make on a3 printers as well since letter 8x10 etc are fed in landscape style typicaly speaking... or should be for the sake of speed and the least amount of stokes per page.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote