Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 19, 2005, 1:04 PM   #1

Hi guys, I would be so grateful if anyone can help me out with this as it's so depressing having such a nice looking printer as this one just sitting next to my computer not working properly.

Basically, last week I purchased a refurbished Canon Pixma IP5000 (U.K. version) from an authorised licensed Canon seller off eBay and received it in the post today.

Even though I have areasonablygood knowledge of I.T., I meticulously read through all the instructions as I know how fickle printers can be when setting them up. I should note that I am using Windows XP and have tried drivers from both the Canon supplied CD and the Canon website to troubleshoot my problem.

The problem I am having is when I try to print anything, no matter what colour the picture is, the result is always yellowy. The black ink seems to be working fine with text appearing bold and without any deformities. All 5 ink cartridges installed are brand-new, just out of the sealed package and official Canon versions.

I first noticed the problem after connecting the USB, turning the printer on and installing the driver. The on-screen instructions tell you to automatically setup the print head. So I clicked "execute" and the process began; the printer took the paper from the top sheet feeder and 'sucked' it down a bit with the print head moving. But after about 3-4 seconds the print rollers seem to move the sheet back up again to where it had just came from. Then, afteranother few seconds of the paper moving up and down, the printer just scrolls it down all the way through right out to the paper tray at the front. There is nothing on the paper; no black or colour.

The printer's amber light flashes 11 times then goes green and continues to flash 11 times and goes back to green again. In the IP5000 user guide it says this is a "print head error". I have tried setting it up manually but only column A prints out normally, all the other columns are empty.

The print nozzle checks only correctly prints the first row "3eBK" whilst the remaining rows don't even print. I have tried cleaning and deep cleaning the printer numerous times as well as base cleaning, however I still experience no improve regarding colour.

I think clearly there is something wrong with the print head from these symptoms. However, I just looked at the "print test page" results (they comes out fine in black ink; the windows colour logo in the top left hand corner comes out in yellow) that I just made and compared them with the "print test page" done by the canon techincians and which was supplied with my printer as proof it works supposedly. Both indicate that the driver version is 8.09, but also both indicate the environment is "Windows NT x86". Now is this correct regarding my system since I am running Windows XP Professional (service pack 2)? Are the drivers on Canon's website labelled XP actually incorrect? This might be something which is causing the colour problem since if the print head was truly faulty I doubt it would print the black ink so well?

Well I do apologise in advance for this lengthy post but I thought it would be more helpful if I explained my problem in more detail since you guys might get a better picture of the situation. Thanks for anyone who replies and tries to help me out, I am truly grateful!

Tony

TonyTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2005, 2:22 PM   #2

TonyTee wrote:
Quote:

I think clearly there is something wrong with the print head from these symptoms. However, I just looked at the "print test page" results (they comes out fine in black ink; the windows colour logo in the top left hand corner comes out in yellow) that I just made and compared them with the "print test page" done by the canon techincians and which was supplied with my printer as proof it works supposedly. Both indicate that the driver version is 8.09, but also both indicate the environment is "Windows NT x86". Now is this correct regarding my system since I am running Windows XP Professional (service pack 2)? Are the drivers on Canon's website labelled XP actually incorrect? This might be something which is causing the colour problem since if the print head was truly faulty I doubt it would print the black ink so well?

Tony

Righto, the driver version i'm running is version 1.8. 1.9 for example does not work very well at all except on the new pixmas but the x64 edition which is listed as an option for the ip5000. My status monitor reports v1.8 and reports the OS as being XP or 2000, not NT. I'm running 1.8a on my ip3000 and 1.8b on my mp760... and actually i'm running B simply because that's what came on my ip3000 disc and I accidently put that in when installing my mp760. Silly me. Version 8.09 sounds like that's for win98/me, but that driver version is 8.4, not 8.09. Perhaps you downloaded the BJC-5000 driver and not the iP-5000? In fact I don't know at what point or what printers were supported in 8.09.

Quote:
This might be something which is causing the colour problem since if the print head was truly faulty I doubt it would print the black ink so well?
Well, If I run v1.90 x32 on my machine, I get unusual symptoms which would include tweeky color and double sized print... But black text is OK. Keep in mind that black text, the pigmented black, has not changed all that much since well... I don't know really... i'm thinking the i550. So even if it's not dealing with basicly ascii with font info... given the resolution is well the same as older models, the drop size the same as older models... this is the most likely to work.

To test this theory you should visit http://pixma-faq.periastron.com/4.html . Technicaly this page was written for north american users to enable cd-printing but it has the keystrokes to get your printer into service mode and do some self tests. If you want more info knightcralwer from his page has a link to the service manuals with all the options
http://hosted.filefront.com/knightcrawler/1412193
http://pixma.webpal.info/index.htm

It's the ip4000 but the menu options are the same.

Windows selftest is kinda worthless, try a nozzle check from the driver to give you some indication whether all your nozzles are firing. But at this point, I think you have the wrong driver installed.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2005, 3:21 PM   #3

Hi zakezuke, firstly thanks very much for responding and taking the time to try and help me out with regards to this really frustrating problem.

I must first correct something about the driver version I am using. Initially, I read the driver version off the XP printer test page which says 8.09. However, I didn't realise that on that test page the actual driver version for the .dll is in fact in the brackets next to "Additional files used by this driver:.." section. Next to all the .dll files (eg. CNMD56d.dll) in this section of the test page it says 1.80.2.90. Furthermore if I have a look under "help" in the status monitor it does in fact say:

ABOUT
--------

Microsoft Windows XP and Windows 2000
Canon BJ Status Monitor
Version 1.80

Therefore it does seem like I am running the correct driver and you are very much correct that windows' selftest "is kinda worthless" (In fact the driver was initially installed off the supplied CD so it should be definitely correct).

Maybe tackling the printer with diagnostic self-tests from the sites you mentioned could dig up something wrong with the machine. I'll have a look at those links.

Thanks very much again for your great advice, it's most appreciated.
TonyTee is offline   Reply With Quote