Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 21, 2005, 7:04 PM   #1

Hi

I appear to be having a problem lately when printing onto printable discs. The problem may also exist with paper and photo paper but i really dont want to waste anymore.

When printing, it looks as if the black ink isnt coming through properly and isnt being printed, thus gettin a rather light print, if i use the clean head within the printer properties, it will print out fine but only for 1 or 2 prints then it will have problems with the black ink again.

Ive checked the cartridge and there is plenty of ink in there. It is a compatible ink cartridge and hasnt been in there for long. Ive only had this problem today whilst ive been printing on quite alot of printable discs. I had noticed one or two strange prints on photo paper previous to today, but i believed this to be down to changing one of the ink cartridges and hadnt charged properly between prints etc... though the problems with those prints appeared to be with the black ink. Ive printed numerous nozzle checks and all appear to be fine, though the black ink does appear to be grey rather than black, though im not sure whether this has always been the case?

Unfortunately i dont have any spare ink cartridges at the moment to see whether it is just that ink cartridge being problematic.

Im considering manually cleaning the printhead if this is likely to solve this problem but id like to know what is the best and safest way of cleaning.

Any help is much appreciated on the problem topic and any recommended ways to fix the problem.

Mark
djphatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2005, 9:28 PM   #2

If your text isn't printing dark black at standard and almost black at draft you don't have good ink. You say it is "compatible" and I take it that means it isn't Canon. Try a Canon cartridge before assuming something is wrong with the printer.

I'm not an ink snob that says you have to use Canon ink – I have refilled for years and currently refill both my iP4000 and S9000. But I use good ink from a vendor I trust. All aftermarket ink isn't equal.

The best way to clean the print head is to soak it head down in ammonia. Very hot water also works but I haven't seen that recommendation specifically for Canon.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2005, 10:13 PM   #3

slipe wrote:
Quote:
If your text isn't printing dark black at standard and almost black at draft you don't have good ink. You say it is "compatible" and I take it that means it isn't Canon. Try a Canon cartridge before assuming something is wrong with the printer.

I'm not an ink snob that says you have to use Canon ink – I have refilled for years and currently refill both my iP4000 and S9000. But I use good ink from a vendor I trust. All aftermarket ink isn't equal.
Agreed.... I too refill and have to agree that the Canon bci-3e is actually very spiffy, so is the bci-6black. Those two are hard to find anything close to equal in aftermarket. I don't know the pgi-5 or the cli-8 personaly. And if you have issues with your printhead, you can tell canon honestly that you bought new OEM ink recently and tested it with the same result.

I use MIS personaly though I have the ip3000, so I don't take the bci-6bk. The pigmented black though does have a slower drytime, and doesn't seem as dark. I use it, i'm pretty happy with it, but i'd be lying if I felt it was 100% equal.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2005, 11:17 PM   #4

My iP4000 actually came with weak pigmented black ink from Canon. Several others on the board reported having to increase their quality to best to get really black text. I refilled it with some WJ1010 pigmented black from Oddparts and the black text was great, even in draft mode. My latest pint of pigmented black is from MIS and it seems about the same as the WJ1010. I get my color ink from MIS because it comes in containers smaller than a pint and the ink seems competent.

Canon evidently corrected the problem as I got a new large black Canon cartridge after about 10 refills to avoid problems and found it about the same as the refill ink.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote