Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 24, 2005, 4:36 PM   #1

I have been using this printer for some time now and have noticed that the ink levels in the status monitor never seem to go down. I know that the Canon printers are supposed to be very sparing with ink but this was ridiculous. Well I found out the other day that the graphic for the level doesn't really represent the level of fill left in the cartridge. Instead, it shows full until nearly empty and then reads almost empty when getting low. Then you can print a bunch more until it finally runs out. It seems really awkward to me. Anyone else have this issue?? Other than that, the pics are really great!

H
bigboyhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 24, 2005, 7:13 PM   #2

I have the IP4000 and the same thing.

It just tells you when the Liquid side of the ink tank is empty but you still have the sponge side still full of ink.

I don't have any problem with this. When I get message, I know it's time to order more ink if I don't have any left from the last order.

I order about 3 sets of ink at a time from swiftink.com and get free shipping. I then reorder when that batch is gone. No big deal for me.

I got my sister and Mom MP780's for X-mas, IP4000 for my niece and nephew, and an IP6000d for my other niece and her husband. So we all are using the same ink. Now I will just order in larger quanities.
gwheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2005, 4:04 AM   #3

bigboyhf wrote:
Quote:
I have been using this printer for some time now and have noticed that the ink levels in the status monitor never seem to go down. I know that the Canon printers are supposed to be very sparing with ink but this was ridiculous. Well I found out the other day that the graphic for the level doesn't really represent the level of fill left in the cartridge. Instead, it shows full until nearly empty and then reads almost empty when getting low. Then you can print a bunch more until it finally runs out. It seems really awkward to me. Anyone else have this issue?? Other than that, the pics are really great!

H
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...p4000_pg2.html

This review shows pretty well what's going on with the status meter. Basicly... it's got a reservoir and a sponge, sponge holds 20% and at the bottom of the reservoir it's got a prism. It doesn't show empty till such time as the prism is exposed... and when that happens you have 20% left in the sponge. That's the metering system, which isn't scaled in any way really. I have noticed a 1/2 full reading on my mp760 but on my ip3000 I get "full" and "empty". While a tad primitive other systems estimates... and this prism system came out when other systems were of if it don't print get more ink type. Newer systems use both an estimate allowing you some gadge as to how much ink might be left, and the prism that will tell you if you don't have any in your reservoir from my understanding... I lack experence to verify this.

Other than that it's a somewhat reliable system, unless you get a drop of ink on your sensor then it just doesn't work, but it's mostly reliable if a tad spartain.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2005, 3:26 PM   #4

In the review, there is a screen shot of the status monitor and it is showing the magenta and cyan cartridges as being half full. It would be nice if the levels actually showed something like that to give you an approximate place where you are with ink level. The capture is from a 4000 and I was wondering if the monitor is different from the 5000...

H
bigboyhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2005, 5:23 PM   #5

bigboyhf wrote:
Quote:
In the review, there is a screen shot of the status monitor and it is showing the magenta and cyan cartridges as being half full. It would be nice if the levels actually showed something like that to give you an approximate place where you are with ink level. The capture is from a 4000 and I was wondering if the monitor is different from the 5000...

H
Yes, it shows 1/2 full.... in fact i've seen the 1/2 full estimate once or twice on the mp760. But from your description you seem percieve fullness the same way that I would... reservoir level which empty is about 25%. I'd have to studdy prisms under water but I would imagine there is no way technicaly speaking for the prism to register anything till at least 10% reservoir, which would be 25% total capasity or so... and if you'll note the image the 1/2 full is more like 1/3 than 1/2. But I hardly ever even see 1/2 full, it's always full or empty.

While I don't know for a fact, I can take a leap and say the science between the ip4000 and ip5000 is going to be the same... full or empty or if you are lucky 1/4 that looks like 1/3. It's not the best system except for the fact that there "is" positive feedback that the reservoir is empty vs other systems that estimate and are often wrong. The modern systems are going to estimate your use and I assume check with reality when the reservoir is empty, then estimate for 1/5th the tank life, rather than epson which estimates 100% the tank life.
zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote