Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 25, 2005, 8:29 AM   #1

hi.i'm considering purchasing a 4200 or maybe even a 5200.can i expect a significant improvement in print quality compared to my i850 using photo paper pro and is there a generally a noticable difference in print quality between the 4200 and 5200.my new camera is a 350d and i'll be printing up to a4 .thanks
davelerave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2005, 1:50 PM   #2

Had a Canon I850 and upgraded to I4000. Differences are not not great except for photo printing. Before I got rid of my I850, I printed a picture on both printers using Canon Photo Paper Plus Glossy, 4x6. The I850's picture was much grainier and its colors were much duller. The I4200 is just an I4000 with updated ink and printhead.

If you don't print photos, hang on to your I850 until something goes wrong. If you like printing photos on your printer, photos from my I4000 compare quite favorably with photos printed at Costco or Walgreen's, get the I4200 or I5200
Deadzone1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2005, 5:33 PM   #3

thanks for the reply,the upgrade would be solely for photo printing with my new camera as i think the i850 may not do the 350d justice.i may keep the i850 for general work with generic cartridges
davelerave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2005, 5:48 PM   #4

davelerave wrote:
Quote:
hi.i'm considering purchasing a 4200 or maybe even a 5200.can i expect a significant improvement in print quality compared to my i850 using photo paper pro and is there a generally a noticable difference in print quality between the 4200 and 5200.my new camera is a 350d and i'll be printing up to a4 .thanks
The i850 IIRC is pretty much the same as the ip3000 in terms of the same head and inks. There does seem to be a benifit to using my mp760 (ip4000 based) even though the only ink that is added is a dye black. Though oddly enough sometimes the blacks look better on my ip3000, except when it looks like a dash of pigment gets used on photo paper. I still mostly use my ip3000 and am most pleased, so much so i'm holding out for at least a year before i consider an upgrade. From my understanding the dye black gets used when the black intensity is 80% or higher.

I lack experence with the ip5200/4200 but I can say it uses 1pl and 5pl nozzles, rather than 2pl and 5pl. So the dithering will be finer, but it's not going to have the same fine mode that the i850, that nozzle size that would be inbetween simply does not exist. I can't remember if it offered pictbridge or not, so I don't know if you would have to invest in a lame camera to go into your local shop with your favorite paper to test and see if there is a benifit to your photos.

What you have is reasonably spiffy. Oddly enough the older i960 is worth considering as well if you can find it. The ip6000 less so IMHO. The ip6600 looks interesting but isn't so decent as a general purpose printer as it lacks the pigment black. The ip7500 near as i'm aware isn't an option in north america nor europe, and i've never met it but it at least offers the pigment black and the light dye inks like the mp900/mp950.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote