Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 27, 2005, 1:35 PM   #1

Can't find one in our local area...is it still worth getting or is HP coming out with something newer to replace it? None of our local stores have the HP 8450 for me to look at and check out. It's been on my "WANT" list for a long time and with the GiftCert's I received, thought it might be a good time to pick up a new printer.

Thanks in advance.
cameanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2005, 2:32 PM   #2

The HP8450 came out well over a year ago--so its no spring chicken and HP marketing brings out new models at incredable speed. So its not surprising local stores have moved to newqer models. I note the HP 8450 is available on line from numerous vendors and a $150. price point is not unusual.
Just google HP 8450

The real question is why you would want an HP8450? There is no question it delivers good output-----but ink jet consumable costs are not very good compared to the
more popular Canons.--when you consider that an 8x10 color print can eat a dollars
worth of ink or better-----you can have a lot of money wrapped up that way if you do much photoprinting.----those on this and other forums reduce the ink consumable costs to a dime or so on a 8x10 color print using refilling or third party cartridges.
But that economy is usually only acheived on the non-chipped Canons.

But if you are dead set on an HP you might want to look at the newer HP 8250.
And I also note that this forum has a review of the HP8450.

In the relm of inkjet printers, some on line research can really help you make better decisions and save money.------look way beyond initial purchase price. Its the ink consumable costs that get you in the long run.-----in my opinion the HP 8450 blends
a high initial purchase price with high consumable ink costs.-----and that is a bad combo.
Osage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 4:34 PM   #3

I agree with Osage. HP 8450 is a good printer, but HP's tend to use up ink like crazy, whereas the Canons use cartridges that are both more economical and less expensive to replace. When choosing b/t the HP 8450 and the Canon Pixma iP6600, I chose the Canon. It's a little more costly to purchase, but will be less expensive to operate and will save you money in the long run. I paid $158.95 with free shipping for the iP6600, as it comes with a $25 mail-in rebate and free shipping from Dell.
Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 4:35 PM   #4

I agree with Osage. HP 8450 is a good printer, but HP's tend to use up ink like crazy, whereas the Canons use cartridges that are both more economical and less expensive to replace. When choosing b/t the HP 8450 and the Canon Pixma iP6600, I chose the Canon. It's a little more costly to purchase, but will be less expensive to operate and will save you money in the long run. I paid $158.95 with free shipping for the iP6600, as it comes with a $25 mail-in rebate and free shipping from Dell.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 4:35 PM   #5