Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 28, 2005, 5:31 PM   #1

I have a Canon I9900 was thinking of getting a CIS , but there is so much talk how dye based inks wont archive as long as Pigment (epson) Was looking at Lyson system they use an ink called Fotonic for the canon which is supposed to be archival. But just wondering since these ink tanks and systems are external what happens if you add Pigment ink in the tanks but use it in the canon any clue?
Geminichild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2006, 2:15 PM   #2

The dye based inks will give better color photos. They will last 70 years. If that is not long enough just print another from the storage media. The printers will be better then anyway. You will get a better picture in 70 years if you need to reprint.

Where is that sign "NO PHOTOGRAPHS" located. Some person who thinks everyone wants his photo or a defense department installation?
tmcnevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 6:35 PM   #3

So your saying the Dye based that canon uses will last 70 years? I hear so many different comments on this. I hear how with in a year or two you will notice is faded and not to sell prints using the canon dye based cause customers will be coming back complaining to use an epson instead with pigment inks? So much controversy on this.

The Pic is from an abandoned Asylum.
Geminichild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 7:58 PM   #4

I missed the Canon brand I guess. I use Epson and there is a very good article on Epson inks on the net. I will see if I an find it when I send this. I contacted Epson and asked if I could use the pigmented ink in my R300. The rep said the dye would give me better color and would last 70 years. Let me see if I can find the article and will ge back to you. I have a friend (semi pro) in Carson City and he uses a Epson R1800 with the CIS and dye inks. Says he cannot tell the difference. The Pigmented inks do act up on certain media papers. I will get back to you
tmcnevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 11:55 PM   #5

Whether modern dye inks will last 70 years is something most of us will never know -- I'm 81 already, so for sure I won't...

Ask for a sample print on photo paper, cut it in half and leave one section in the sun for a week, then compare it with the other half.

If you can't tell them apart, then maybe there's a chance.

Idle is offline   Reply With Quote