Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 29, 2005, 9:13 PM   #1

I've successfully modded my IP5000 to print DVD's, but like others here I'm frustrated by the limitations to Canon's CD LabelPrint.

I recently got a copy of Discus RE3.06B (it came bundled with Toast 6), and I'm trying to figure out how to configure this program to work with the IP5000. When I first opened the program and selected 'CD/DVD' under 'New Projects', there was a long list of possible label formats for various different printers or label sheets. However, the Canon wasn't listed. Furthermore, the print dialogue box doesn't seem to offer any options for adjusting the x/y coordinates. Do I just design the label, hit 'print', select 'cd tray' under 'quality and media', and the printer magically knows how to position everything? Or am I missing a step?

Also, there was a reference somewhere else in this forum to using Discus to design a label, saving that label as a Jpeg, and then opening the Jpeg in CD-LabelPrint. However, I can't find any option in Discus to save as a Jpeg (it's not an option when choosing 'Save as' from the 'File' menu), and the file which Discus creates can't be opened in Photoshop (so I can't use Photoshop to convert it to a Jpeg). Again, am I missing something?

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,
Zack
Mac OSX 10.3
Zack23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2005, 9:30 PM   #2

Update: I've found the option to adjust X/Y coordinates under the 'print' menu, but I'm still mystified by which template to select (I confusingly referred to these as 'label formats' in my previous post), since no Canon printers are listed as options.

Thanks,
Zack
Old Dec 30, 2005, 12:35 AM   #3

You have to get version 3.31 to get the canon template. The new version is included in toast 7 or you have to buy it seperate. There is no other way.
weapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 9:32 AM   #4

Hmmm. There MAY be another way. What about making my label in Discus RE, saving it as a PDF through the OSX 'Print' dialogue box, then opening the PDF in Photoshop and saving it as a Jpeg, and then importing the Jpeg into CD-LabelPrint?? This seems to work, in that the final result within CD-LabelPrint appears to be the same as in Discus (I tried this using a simple test design which just included a few lines of text). However, I'm temporarily out of blank media to print on, and would love to confirm that there are no weird scaling or print quality issues before spending the time to do a real design in Discus.

Has anyone successfully tried doing something like this?

Zack
Old Jan 3, 2006, 2:03 PM   #5

Actually..
I use Discus ver 3.13H. and have access to the direct CD label template.

How is this possible?
The answer is the Discus Art file --- the database file with all the artwork and TEMPLATES for direct CD printing.

get the updated from magicmouse.com Version 3.13 is the lastest version of the software from MagicMouse -- the authors of the discus software.

I had a version of Discus from my purchase of Roxio Popcorn.

Good Luck!
TVuongPham

supported direct CD printing:
http://magicmouse.com/h_paperlist.html#printers

TVUONGPHAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 2:15 PM   #6

Go to www.magicmouse.com and click on the upgrade link.
you have DiscusRE (bundled version) a couple revs older .. just upgrade to get CD direct printing function.

TVUONGPHAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 5:30 PM   #7

Thanks for the tip -- it took a while to figure out how to make it work, but it does!

The thing is, the 3.13 update is apparently not supposed to work with the stripped down Discus RE version shipped with toast. After downloading the update, it refuses to open because it can't find the "Discus.ART" file.

The trick, as I eventually realized, is to rename the "Discus RE. Art" file "Discus.ART"! The update now works, the Canon Pixma templates are now there! And, as a bonus, some though not all of the features not present in the Discus RE version (canvas flip/invert/roate, text glow/shadow/outline, probably some others as well) are now available!

Still don't have any blank media to experiment with, but unless something screwy happens at the printing end looks like I'm good to go.

Neat.

Zack