Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 30, 2005, 9:53 PM   #1

I just received an Epson Stylus Photo R320. The very first picture I printed seems way too red and has streaks in it. I tryed a few more prints, and all have too much red. I have printed these pictures at on different printers and the color is fine. Has anyone else had this problem? I tryed calling the help line, it is all automated, I never got the chance to speak to a real person. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks,
Nette1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2005, 2:58 PM   #2

What does your nozzle check show?
fperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 10:21 AM   #3

I did not check the nozzels. Since this was a new printer and never used before I would think the nozzles would have been clean. I did exchange the printer, hopefully the new one will not do the same thing. I may have to re think the brand that was pruchased. Do you have an epson? Is this something that happens often? Thanks for your response.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 11:59 PM   #4

You should definitely do a nozzle check -- new printers come with the heads filled with a protective fluid -- all this has to be flushed before the machine will print properly.

The fact your picture has streaks in it would suggest this hasn't happened yet.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 6:35 AM   #5

i totally agree with whats been said

u need to go into print prefferences and do print head clean follow by a head print out

it may just bee that one colour isnt functioning properly this will show up on head shot

u keep cleaning till the print out of heads is perfect, also make sure that the yellow tabs on top of ink cartridges are removed as this lets air in and ink out !!!
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 6:25 AM   #6

I tryed cleaning the print heads. I followed the directions, heard lots of noises, (I was expecting it to use the paper and actually print something when it was cleaning). It did not, just lots of noises. I did the print after it was completed, the lines looked great., but they always have. It is the color I am having trouble with. I then printed the same two pictures I had originally printed and they where both still way too red. I believe the printer is going back. I am not sure what I will buy to replace it. If you have any suggestions, I would appreciate it. I just know that I am not happy with this one. Thanks for your suggestions.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 4:40 AM   #7

Maybe you need to look at the settings you're using to print -- my R310 gets surprisingly close to original colour on glossy photo's from the FZ20 camera with Best Photo and Photo Enhance selected -- everything else at default (I mostly print from Photoshop, though.)

It's not perfect, but out of the box it's closer than I've ever been able to tweak the earlier models.

Remember that the printer is a slave device -- it prints what it's told to print (which mightn't always be what you think you're telling it...)

Do pay careful attention to selecting the correct paper type, of course -- if you use a plain paper setting on photo paper your colours will probably be way off.

The brand and type of paper can have un-looked-for effects, too.

Idle is offline   Reply With Quote