Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 31, 2005, 7:15 PM   #1

Hello,

When I print the ink looks more gray than black. From what I can tell, the ink cartridges are totally full. The only thing out of the ordinary that happened was that my daughter printed to the Canon Pixma 780 by accident when it was off. Not knowing this, I turned it on and it took several minutes to warm up, after which it grabbed a sheet of paper and printed out the saved document. Could this be the problem? And if you think it is, how should I go about fixing it? Bear in mind I have not selected grayscale printing. Thank you for your consideration.

John
lenfini is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2006, 9:35 AM   #2

lenfini wrote:
Quote:
Hello,

When I print the ink looks more gray than black. From what I can tell, the ink cartridges are totally full. The only thing out of the ordinary that happened was that my daughter printed to the Canon Pixma 780 by accident when it was off. Not knowing this, I turned it on and it took several minutes to warm up, after which it grabbed a sheet of paper and printed out the saved document. Could this be the problem? And if you think it is, how should I go about fixing it? Bear in mind I have not selected grayscale printing. Thank you for your consideration.

John
I've never heard of anything stored up in the print queue causing any problems with the print quality so I think you can safely discard your daughters queued print job as being a problem.

I'd take a look at whether you are using the correct cartridge(s) in your printer or more accurately whether your choice of cartridge provider means you're getting shoddy ink quality. Are you using OEM (Canon brand) or a generic aftermarket (non-canon) type? If the latter, which type?

That might give a few clues to what's going on.
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 11:27 AM   #3

You're right. The problem is that automatic duplexing causes the ink to print out grayer than it otherwise would. If you ask me, I'd rather do two-sided printing manually. This also cuts down on paper jams. See you.

John
Old Jan 6, 2006, 11:44 AM   #4

I ran across a similar thread in another forum---turns out the problem was someone was running the Mp78- from a USB-1.1 port.----the printer worked but the software driver did not get the right instruction to the printer.--and color balance was off.

So check that printer is hooked up to a USB2.0 port using a USB2.0 cable. Not saying
that is the problem but its something to eliminate as a possibility.
Osage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2006, 2:16 AM   #5

Okay, I have a 2.0 cable. However, as for the type of port, I have no clue how to determine that. Any suggestions? I use a Windows XP operating system. Thanks.

John

PS

I suppose this shouldn't matter, for I'm not about to start fooling around with the ports on my computer.:?Guess I'll have to start a whole new thread.
Old Jan 7, 2006, 5:19 PM   #6

To lenfini,

There are two types of usb ports-----the older usb1.1 ports and the newer usb-2.0
ports-----examination by the eyes shows no difference-----the newer usb-2. ports differ in hardware and drivers. And of course, to get usb2.0 to function as usb-2. requires a usb-2.0 cable as well.---although a usb-2.0 port is backwards compatable to usb-1.1-----so a usb 1.1 device will work fine plugged into a usb-2. port.---the reverse is not true----a usb-2. device will often not work at all or function improperly
when plugged into a usb-1.1 port---even if a usb-2.0 cable is used.

And the MP780 is a usb-2.0 device.

There are two basic ways to tell if your computer has usb-1.1 ports or usb-2.- ports.

1. Haul out your computer documentation----it should specify if your usb ports are 1.1
or 2.0------but still a gotcha there----even if you do have usb-2.0 ports, if the software for usb-2.0 is not properly installed they will acts like they were usb-1.1.
At a minimum your Xp has to be patched up to service pack 1.

2. Check your device manager in win XP----left click start---left click setting---select control panel-----select system-----hardware tab----device manager----at which point a list of devices on your computer should appear----and hopefully all devices will have a plus sign to the left of them indicating proper function-------click on the plus sign
for universal serial bus controllers------see if you can find the word ENHANCED.--if you find enhanced it means at least some of your usb ports are 2.0.

Even if you don't have usb-2.0 ports on your computer you can add usb-2.0 ports with cards costing $25.00 or less.----$25.00 is the last price I saw at Wal-mart. Not hard to do at all----if you lack the experience you probably have a friend who can do it in less than fifteen minutes.

Hope that helps.
Osage is offline   Reply With Quote