Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Mar 7, 2003, 10:28 AM   #1

Default Help with poor print quality

This is the first time I've tried printing. I'm using an Olympus D550 camera, HP 89C printer, and Kodak Premium paper. My pictures look great on the computer, but when I print them the color looks bland and you can see the fine lines throughout the picture. I've tried using both the Olympus software and Kodax software. I've also set the print quatilty to "best". Is it the printer causing my poor photos??

Thanks for your help.
diyj98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2003, 11:54 AM   #2

I'm assuming you have an 895c printer. This printer is good for everyday stuff and probably cheaper than anything else for text. BUt if you want photos I would reccomend getting the hi touch imaging dye sub printer to print 4x6 photos at a cost of only .20 cents a print. Any inkjet photo printer out there such as canon, HP, Epson is going to cost you around 88 cents to a dollar a 4x6 photo.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2003, 6:29 PM   #3

Sorry, I'm not familiar with your printer, maybe one of the more knowledgable HP users out there can help you.

- Ivan
Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2003, 6:33 PM   #4

>>BUT if you want photos I would recomend getting the hi touch imaging dye sub printer to print 4x6 photos at a cost of only .20 cents a print.<<

You seem to recommend this a lot, do you have shares in the company or something?

Can the hi touch do 5X7?
Can it do 8X10?
Can it do borderless 8.5X11?

My inkjet can :-)

>>Any inkjet photo printer out there such as canon, HP, Epson is going to cost you around 88 cents to a dollar a4x6 photo.<<

This must be true of YOUR Epson (or why else would you post it) but it certainly isn't true of my Canon i850 :-)

You can believe me when I say, it doesn't cost me $0.80 - $1.00 to print 4X6 photos on my i850 :-)

You'd have to be crazy to pay that much to print a 4X6!!!

I've estimated a 4X6 printed on my i850 is approx. $0.28 cents American (ink and paper cost).

Thats using Canon OEM ink, and Canon Photo Paper Plus Glossy paper.

And the price goes down SIGNIFICANTLY if you use 3rd party ink refills and 3rd party paper, which by all account CAN BE AS GOOD as Canons own, depending on which brand you buy :-)

I hope this sets your mind at ease about printing 4X6's on an inkjet like the Canon i850.

Since I actually own and use the i850, I'll do my best to dispel any rumors or misleading info, or unfounded gossip you might encounter :-)

- Ivan
Old Mar 8, 2003, 5:56 AM   #5

Quote:
BUT if you want photos I would recomend getting the hi touch imaging dye sub printer to print 4x6 photos at a cost of only .20 cents a print.<<
Sorry My mistake I was thinking costco. On this printer it is actually .40 cents a sheet.

Quote:
I've estimated a 4X6 printed on my i850 is approx. $0.28 cents American (ink and paper cost).

How did you get that kind of price for the glossy plus paper and ink. The local price for cannon glossy plus paper 50 sheet pack is 11.99/50=0.24cents a sheet. Then another 33 dollars for 3 colors that if you are correct must get 800 4x6 prints to add the extra cost of 4 cents to equal your 28 cents a sheet.

That number is way too high. Lets say you get a optimistic 200 4x6 prints out of the ink on the i850 thats 16 cents for ink alone on top of the cost of canon glossy plus paper comes out to 40 cents a sheet or if using canon Pro paper it will cost you 63 cents a 4x6 sheet.

Since the canon plus paper is pretty much crap and about 5 out of 10 customers complain about it. You have to buy the Canon pro paper which runs about 8.95 for 20 sheets of 4x6 paper which means that the paper alone is about 47 cents.

Quote:
This must be true of YOUR Epson (or why else would you post it) but it certainly isn't true of my Canon i850 :-)
Also if you are referring to my epson 980 which by the way gives me 2000 pages on a black ink tank that runs for 30 bucks. I've yet to see another inkjet printer print cheaper.

Quote:
Can the hi touch do 5X7?
Can it do 8X10?
Can it do borderless 8.5X11?
When did the canon i850 start doing 8x10 prints. Where does canon sell 8x10 paper?? Also what store does cannon have 5x7 paper availible in? Also what paper type is it availible in? Glossy plus crap again.

The HP 895C was rated to print at a cost per page of .02 cents a sheet.

The hi touch printer can do 4x6 prints fast as the i850 with millions of colors vs thousand on the i850. Its waterproof and archival something that the canon is not. Makes a great addon photo printer for the family. The 895c that this person has is a great printer for thier general use or even bussiness purposes due to its low ink cost and speedy printing. Why should this person throw away a perfectly good printer???

Quote:
Since I actually own and use the i850, I'll do my best to dispel any rumors or misleading info, or unfounded gossip you might encounter :-)
I never said the canon i850 cost .80 cents a sheet. I was referring to the photo printers which use 6 colors. Think about it. The canon i950 uses 6 colors at a cost of 12 a piece which comes out to 72 lets at say 200 4x6 prints. Now it costs 36 cents a 4x6 just for the ink. Add in the canon pro paper now its 83 cents a 4x6 to get a lab quality print.
Old Mar 8, 2003, 10:35 PM   #6

>>Since the canon plus paper is pretty much crap and about 5 out of 10 customers complain about it.<<

You really need QUALIFYING YOUR REMARKS, to simply say "canon plus paper is pretty much crap" is (IMHO) in my humble opinion, showing your ignorance.

One only has to briefly read a few OTHER Internet "Printer" forums to quickly understand that certain photo inkjet papers work well with some printers, while other photo inkjet papers don't work at all with certain printers. And as an example, if you read any of the other printer forums (don't take my word for it, go check yourself), you'll see that many Canon users have found HP paper to print very poorly with Canon inks. And BTW, I have never seen any one of them post that HP photo paper is crap :-)

HP photo paper certainly works well with HP inkjet printers.

If you mean that Canon photo paper is crap on YOUR Epson, then perhaps there may be some SMALL merit to your opinion (but you didn't qualify your statement as an opinion).
As I said, some photo papers don't print well with certain inkjet printer inks, and while I have seen a few posts from Epson users who find Canon photo papers to work well, you on the other hand could certainly have had a different experience.

>>and about 5 out of 10 customers complain about it.<<

Again, if you take the time to read a few of the other Internet Printer forums, you'll see that 99% of Canon users find Canon Photo Paper Plus Glossy to be almost as good as Canon Photo Paper Pro, and certainly much cheaper. I don't know where you are getting your statistics from, but I haven't see 5 out of 10 Canon users complaining about it :-)

>>Lets say you get a optimistic 200 4x6 prints out of the ink on the i850 thats 16 cents for ink alone on top of the cost of canon glossy plus paper comes out to 40 cents a sheet or if using canon Pro paper it will cost you 63 cents a 4x6 sheet.<<

So by YOUR OWN calculations, a 4X6 on Plus Glossy is ONLY $0.40 and on the more expensive PPP a 4X6 is ONLY $0.63, that certainly BEATS OUT your .80 cents to a $1.00 you posted earlier.

Depending on where one buys photo paper, and whether one buys pre cut 4X6's or buys 8.5X11 and cuts their own 4X6's, and depending on full retail (which can vary greatly from store to store) or sale price, which again can vary greatly, the price of photo paper can certainly be very expensive or relatively cheap :-)

I guess Canon ink and Canon paper are a bit cheaper up here in Canada. As I only buy 8.5X11 and cut my own 4X6's, and since Canon users don't THROW AWAY ALL the color cartridges when ONLY one color runs out of ink (making it a bit harder to calculate) but certainly making it a better and cheaper use of ink, I still stick with my $0.28 us per 4X6 for my i850

(your millage could vary depending where and how much you pay for paper and ink) :-)

But then again, you only referred to "PHOTO" inkjet printers, not the photo-realistic Canon i850.

So I guess because my i850 only uses 3 colors the prints that are ejected from it aren't REAL photos? Maybe you consider my prints as pseudo-photos? Or even non-photos? Fake photos?

Whatever YOU want to call them, they are simply STUNNING!! And the people I've shown them too can't tell the difference between the i850, and ones done at a REAL photo lab!!!

>>When did the canon i850 start doing 8x10 prints. Where does canon sell 8x10 paper??<<

Who says you need 8X10 paper to make 8X10 prints :-)

Maybe your Epson is restricted to print size, but my i850 can print ANY size up to 8.5X11.

I can print 4X6, I can print 3X5, I can print 3X3, I can print4X4! I can print 5X7, I can print 7X9, I can print 9X9, I can print 8X10, I can print 9X10, I can print 10X10!

I can print ANY SIZE that I can think of, up to and including 8.5X11 BORDERLESS :-)

>>Also what store does cannon have 5x7 paper availible in?<<

I believe Canon announced at the latest PMA they will have Canon 5X7 photo paper on the store shelves within the next couple months :-)

But again, I don't need to buy PRE-CUT 5X7 Canon photo paper to print stunning 5X7 photo's!

>>The hi touch printer can do 4x6 prints fast as the i850 with millions of colors vs thousand on the i850. Its waterproof and archival something that the canon is not.<<

Again, you don't seem THAT well informed. I just took a 4X6 printed on Canon Photo Paper Plus Glossy, printed with Canon ink and ran it under the tap.

Guess what?

It sure seems water proof to me!!

It didn't smear, it didn't run, IT DIDN'T DO ANYTHING BUT GET WET!!! :-)

How much MORE water proof would you like it to be?

As for archival, Canon is suggesting the PPP paper will last 25 years, I'd have to go look for the stats on the Plus Glossy, but heck, if its ONLY 10 years I won't complain :-)

And again, if you read any of the other Internet Printer forums, you'll quickly see that print longevity is a bit complicated. Put your hi touch photos on the coffee table in full sun and they won't last a week without fading. But put ANY inkjet print in a plastic sleeve or behind glass (as in a frame) and keep it out of the sun, it could last anywhere from 1 year to 20 years depending on the ink, paper, humidity of the room, amount of ambient UV, and a dozen OTHER variables. Plus for those that are REALLY concerned, there are varnishes and sprays that will preserve most inkjet prints regardless of ink, or type of paper :-)

So really, print/photo archival/longevity is simply a non issue :-)

- Ivan
Old Mar 10, 2003, 11:46 AM   #7

Default Greger: do you mean HiTi?

Greger,

This thread has gone a bit overboard, but I think that the dye sub you were referring to is probably the HiTi.

Chris
Chris R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2003, 12:46 PM   #8

Yeah I actually had another nice long post to respond with but somehow it dissappeared. My biggest thing is he writes much like someone from cannon would.

But I know I could blow this one outa the water but I dont feel like spending another 20 min writing again.

Yeah chris you are very right the printer I was referring to was the hiti 630.
Old Mar 11, 2003, 6:21 AM   #9

Default HiTi 630

I am an inkjet man myself but I have seen very good things said about the HiTi on other forums. Seems to be well worth considering if you only really want 4 x 6. Personally I normally print at 8 x 10.

Chris
Chris R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2003, 8:16 AM   #10

yeah chris I like the inkjets but the manufactures are making it more and more expensive to use them. Epson had the right idea with the introduction of the epson 980. But I feel that they kinda reversed themselves with the c80 and especially with the c82. The ink cost is higher than the 980 the plain paper quality has gone up but the photo paper quality has suffered a little along with speed. My 980 spits out pages that have color on them at a pace of 8 pages a min. My epson cx5200 does black faster but color much slower. But on the bright side I can color copy and scan rather well.