Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jan 3, 2006, 6:23 PM   #1

I've read great reviews on the MP780 but have not been able to find an answer to this question. Can the automatic document feeder be used to scan large numbers of 4x6 photos? I havehundreds of old photos I'd like to have scanned for archiving and would like to find a relatively painless way to do it. Will this work? If not the MP780, is there a different all in one that will do the job?

Thanks,

Brian
Brian2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2006, 6:55 PM   #2

Yes and No.

My mom has a MP780 so I tried it on hers.

There is no option that I have found yet for scanning "photos" with the ADF.

you can scan Color Documents. I put 5 color photos in the tray. Then told the scanner to scan using the ADF and Color Documents. What I got was the picture, but were not quite right, and the document you got was 8.5x11 most of the file being white with the picture centered at the top. I am going to keep trying. Would be a nice feature.
gwheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2006, 7:56 AM   #3

Brian2828 wrote:
Quote:
I've read great reviews on the MP780 but have not been able to find an answer to this question. Can the automatic document feeder be used to scan large numbers of 4x6 photos? I havehundreds of old photos I'd like to have scanned for archiving and would like to find a relatively painless way to do it. Will this work? If not the MP780, is there a different all in one that will do the job
In all honesty I don't think you'll get the sort of quality you want from the scanner for this sort of thing, especially if you've got a lot of photos to scan. The feeder is designed for Letter/A4 to about A5 (half of A4/letter-ish). I haven't tried it myself but I'd guess that the need for the scanner to bend the photo through about 160 degrees would produce a few errors as it's pulled through.

My recommendation for a good quality scanner with doc feeder functionality would be the Fujitsu, ScanSnap fi-5110EOX2. We got one for scanning large amounts of documents for my partner who's a teacher digitising her worksheet resources. The scanner works well but isn't TWAIN compliant and will only output to JPEG format so it's not ideal but it does give you a benchmark to measure things against. It works very well for me and will be used for archiving the familys thousands of photos over the next few years.

Hope that helps.
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote