Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jan 4, 2006, 12:41 PM   #1
LTR

Hello i want a photo printer and im looking at the Canon Ip4200 or Ip5200 Icompared some prints of the MP500 Wich is the same print head as IP4200 and i thought it put to much redish skin tones on the prints compared to my hp 1350 all in one does the Ip5200 compare as to the IP4200 when comparing skin tones i dont want prints that make people prints look like there blushing or sick looking any info thanks.
LTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2006, 6:32 PM   #2

LTR wrote:
Quote:
Hello i want a photo printer and im looking at the Canon Ip4200 or Ip5200 Icompared some prints of the MP500 Wich is the same print head as IP4200 and i thought it put to much redish skin tones on the prints compared to my hp 1350 all in one does the Ip5200 compare as to the IP4200 when comparing skin tones i dont want prints that make people prints look like there blushing or sick looking any info thanks.
Lots of variables here:

1. What paper was used ?

2. Were the settings at default or did you use a profile ?

3. Was it the same picture used with the HP 1350 ?

4. Was the MP500 a store DEMO ?

In general I have not had any problems with bad skin tone, these printers like all printers come with lots of settings and controls.

PS: Maybe you could scan both pictures and put them up, we could then actually see the differences between them.

====
KnightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 7:57 PM   #3
LTR

I used Canon photo paper plus and i used a freinds MP500 he had just bought it, itwas set to the fine print setting, on the HP printer i used Hp premium paper i printed the same pictures on both printer and i noticed that the cannon just seemed to have to much red skin tone a not natural look, i just like the cannon's because of the easy refilling, i know know the canon's new cartriges are chiped but i can get around that . one thing i did notice about the canon MP500 that it dosent quite have the detail in printing as compared to my HP printer the MP500 prints about like my IP6000D which has a bigger pecoliter droplet i would have thought it would be just as good, the hair in the photos of the couple in the picture that i printed was sorta blured to were the HP shows each strand of hair, I like how the HP Printers print photo's but are a PITA to refill and there software Suck's and if i cant refill then it aint worth it thats why i was wondering how the IP5200 or MP800 prints compared with the IP4200 Or MP500 because the ip5200 MP800 have a 3500 print nozzles, I used to have a Epson R200 that was the best photo printer I have ever used even refilling until the 3rd refill and resetting the cartrigde that it just stopped printing I order some printer freindly refilling cartrigeds from MIS after 3 months of setting and i Guess it just got clogged up and i ended up burning the print head up doing cleaning cycles it was almost there then it just went to streaking but i still have the cartriges and they have been sealed up so i may just get another epson I was looking at the RX620 it takes the same cartriges just hate to get it and have problems again so i dont know what to do.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 10:43 PM   #4

The 5200 is great and I highly recommend it. The 5200 is closer to the IP8500 in terms of photo quality.

I haven't messed around with a MP500enough to judge the photo quality but the red skin tone is something that could be easily solved by adjusting the settings.

Depending on what software you used as well, it could be the factor in to much red. Canon software is of course designed and intended for their printers and most of the time works great.

Others however use Photoshop or Qimage to obtain better pictures if they know what they are doing.

KnightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 7:33 AM   #5

I have seen identical 6x4 test prints printed on the 4000, the 4200 and the 5200.

The test print was a Jpeg that I uploaded to the Canon uk site to print for me on a 4200 for approval that they then posted back to me via land mail.

I then compared this with the 6x4 I had made myself on my 4000. It was a bit brighter (they had used Chroma inks in the 4200) but in all other respects they were equally as good in the rendition of the orginal as it appeared on the monitor.

I then went ahead and purchased the 5200 (I paid less than the High Street was asking for the 4200 ). (Also Canon had a free paper offer worth £28-£30 for purchasers between December and January..I received it 5 days after I got the machine)

I then tested the 6x4 Jpeg with the 5200 using identical (Canon Pro paper and inks).I compared this with the 4200 Canon UK print and it was identical.

If the 5200 had not had the price incentives I know I would be quite happy with the 4200. NB Please note all printers behave differently with each paper type across brands and small adjustments may be required to correct to an acceptable level where colour masks occur

headphonesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 12:08 PM   #6
LTR

thanks for the replies i will have to think about all this