Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Mar 8, 2003, 8:04 PM   #1

Default Just bought my almost new s900

I have really enjoyed this this website. I have purchased an Olympus SLR, and now a Canon s900 with the help of Steve's reviews and the discussion forums. My local Best Buy did not stock the s900, so when an "open box" model showed up, I bought it.

Here's the deal: when I took it home, the ink was probably 30% gone, so I assumed it had been used a fair amount. I had dismal results using Kodak Ultima paper. I was ready to take the thing back, and I decided to try Canon Photo Pro paper first. I performed a deep cleaning on the nozzles and used the Canon paper. The prints were razor sharp, but the greys had a pink hue to them. The prints color was different than the color on the monitor. All ink cartridges have plenty of ink in them. The Kodak paper still doesn't work.

1. Do I always have to use Canon Paper?
2. How do I match the monitor color to my prints? or do I have a problem with my printer?
3. Are there updated drivers available that might fix this?

I also noticed the printer was much louder than my old HP inkjet 770(?) printer. Is the s900 a fairly loud printer?

I am willing to take it back and get the s820, or wait for the i950, but I really hope to work things out with this one.

Thanks for your help,

Jack
Dawgcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2003, 1:57 AM   #2

Hey Jack, I've got the S820, which I love, but assuming the S900 is pretty much the same, I suggest this:
Use the Canon paper, I've tried HP, Kodak and Epson papers, but none of them gave the same excellent results that the Canon paper produced. As far as the pink hues, maybe one or more of the cartridges are old or have been replaced with the wrong cartridge or an inferior off-market cartridge.
So, if you buy new cartridges, that will tell you if your problem is the printer or the cartridges...the cartridges will fit the S820, so no need to waste money, if you decide to change printers...blessings, Johnny
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2003, 9:40 AM   #3

Johnny:

Thanks, I have checked the cartridges, they are all stock. I actually got an acceptable monitor/print color match with the Kodak paper! (the quality was still unacceptable) I switched the color source in the driver properties to a Kodak color (from the recomended Canon color source in the troubleshooting guide).

I have printed over 20 test prints adjusting the colors themselves, and the driver settings, and I still can't get the Canon paper to match the monitor. The resolution on the paper is awesome, just pinkish purple.

I'm going to call Canon when I get home this evening. If I don't have any luck, I'm afraid she's a goin' back!

Any other suggestions?

Jack
Old Mar 10, 2003, 12:12 PM   #4

Jack,

If you haven't already done so, you might want to try downloading Easy Photo Print from the Canon site. This program overrides most of the driver settings so it is fairly fool proof. If you don't get the pinkish hue on Canon paper it indicates that you have a wrong setting somewhere in the driver or in your normal printing program.

Chris
Chris R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2003, 2:24 PM   #5

Thanks Chris, I'll try anything at this point.
Old Mar 10, 2003, 4:39 PM   #6

I'm curious which cannon paper are you using. The glossy plus or the Pro paper. This can make a difference on the color output.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2003, 8:24 PM   #7

I'm using the Pro paper.

FYI for all you guys that have been helping me: I spoke with Canon this afternoon late, and they are Fed-Exing me a new print head and ink cartridges. I was missing one very small line in my nozzle check (black only), and the rep seemed to think that was my problem - even after I told him that I was successful with the Kodak paper color match.

Oh well, we'll see, but he said there was a printer problem, I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks for all the input, and if you have any more suggestions, I'm all ears. :?

Jack
Old Mar 11, 2003, 1:45 AM   #8

Hi again Jack, sounds like you're getting the Epson and Canon reknowned 'magenta caste'...I've been using an HP Photosmart for a few years, so I was thrown off by this 'caste'. I never could get rid of it on the Epson's I tried, and my first prints with the Canon S820 had the same caste...I finally worked it all out in the software settings, let's see if I can remember them correctly...First of all, use the Photo Paper Pro, enable 'ICM' under manual color adjustment and then under 'effects', choose only 'image optimizer'...of course, you can play with selecting different combinations, but those are the 2 adjustments that worked for me.
Blessings, Johnny
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2003, 8:04 AM   #9

Thanks Johnny:

Been there, done that. I tryed every conceivable combination. Since the printer would not print well on the Kodak paper (and I bought a 100 pack) I was using it for the tests.

After reading the troubleshooting guide, I learned that there were various "color drivers" if you will, found in the properties section of the printer driver interface. I tried several, and hit gold with one of the Kodak colors. I was stoked! I then put a piece of Canon Photo Pro paper in, and - poof - pink again.

I wonder if this new print head from Canon will help?

Thanks again for your interest and input!
Old Mar 12, 2003, 9:55 AM   #10
MK

Kodak paper is a known no no for Canon and Epson printers. Stay away from them for your Canon. Good papers to use for Canons: Canon Paper, Epson Paper (heavyweight matte and glossy), and Office Depot glossy. Both Epson glossy and OD glossy are made by the same company, Konica.

As for you purple caste, you may want to try to use some profiling files that someone generated for the S9xxx series of Canon printers. When I got my S820 it would print with a greenish caste and I would drive myself crazy tweaking all the color parameters. It was nearly impossible to get right w/o going crazy. Once I used the correct profile files, BINGO! The colors were right one. This may be your problem. Go here and get the correct files for the type of paper you'll be using:

http://www.wandb.com/icc.htm
MK is offline   Reply With Quote