Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jan 5, 2006, 6:43 PM   #1

I`m looking to buy a new printer but i need some help.

I`d prefer a multifunctional (i`d like to print my old dias and negatives and need occasionally the copy mode) but my biggest concern is photo quality and it`s costs.

I`d like to print excellent quality pictures on A4 and 4x6 formats and it is very important that the cost in ink consumption is at it`s lowest because i`m planning to print a lot.

Will a CANON MP800or an EPSON RX620/ RX700 produce as good and cheap prints as a CANON IP5200/IP6220D or an EPSON R220/R320.

Reading comments on forums i notice that there are more subjects and preferences in Canon products then Epson,why do you think this is so ?

From what i read ...CANON IP8500 and EPSON R800 are probably the best for colour printing and cost....i`d then have to make a compromise....or can i have the best of both worlds???

I`ve got 2 days to make up my mind..help me please
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2006, 10:32 PM   #2

First, the top dedicated photoprinters don't tend in multifuntional formats.
By dedicatd photoprinter, I mostly refer to the six or eight color inkjet printers
that lack a basic text black.

One reason Epsons don't have such a great following as Canon's is the tendency of Epsons to have head clogging problems if not used very frequently.---and to add injury to insult Epsons heads are not user serviceable or cleanable.--factory service only. But there are some Epsons users who will disagree.

And now you want ink cost consumable economy also because you antisipate high printing volume!--and got two days to make up your mind.

In terms of any brand inkjet printer, Canon offers the lowest ink consumable costs when using OEM cartridges.----the new chipped canons can be refilled afte navigating some nag screens and you lose ink level monitoring.--forget using third party already filled cartridges---at least until a chip work around is found---which is unlikely to happen in the next few days.

I would personally recommend you get a MP780----which was canons non chipped flagship multifuntional----on sale this week at Fry's for $200.00 cash and carry. Based on the ip4000 printer engine the unit prints, copies, flatbed scans, and faxes. Great for refilling, can use cheap third party cartridges, and rated as a very good photoprinter.----maybe not as good as the ip5000----its printhead has more nozzles
and uses smaller 1pl drops, but many see little difference between the two by judging output.

Another option might be the MP760 if you can still find one-----same as the MP780
except you lose the fax and get a better scanner---a scanner just good enough to do a decent job of 35 mm film scanning.

So if you go Canon those are the tradeoffs-----to get a dedicated six or eight color printer that only does a debatable marginally better job of photoprinting or to stick with a high end five cartridge printer with multifuntional capacities----and then to decide if you will tolerate a chipped Canon or go with the one generation older non chipped Canons that make ultimate inkconsumable cost economy so much easier.
Osage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 5:35 AM   #3

Thanks for the advice,

I might be going for the Canon MP760 because i don`t really need the fax....
Do both MP760 & MP780printers print on cd/dvd ?

I still have a couple of questions...

The purpose for such a printer is those third party inks...how much cheaper are they from the original Canon inks ? will the colours be as good and reliable and will they last through time ?

Where can we get these ? do you have a couple of makes in mind ?
I once sawa guy selling refills for printers wherehe used a seringhe to fill the cartrigde...are these compatable?.

Thanks again....hope i can still find one ?

Old Jan 6, 2006, 8:18 AM   #4

Im just back from the shops....no more MP760`s

I noticed that the Pelikan ink are half the price of the Canon,hope that the quality isn`t half as good ?

Do you know if we will be able to get cheaper inks (pelikan..) for the new MP800 ? I`m sure canon are trying everything possible to avoid this.
Old Jan 6, 2006, 11:33 AM   #5

To try to answer some of your questions.

1. Any of the chipped Canons can be refilled but the original OEM cartridge with a chip must be used-----there is a good thread on this forum on exactly how to do it. But the jist of it is---the chip counts nozzle fires and when it decides you are out of ink it quits printing---even if you add extra ink---you then have to go into software and navigate some nag screeens---and tell the printer to ignore what the chip says.---and you lose ink monitoring as a result.

2. Sorry---misssed your plain post that you are in Belgium--us folks in the USA often have better supply channels----but if you want a MP760 or MP780 you may have to look on the internet--local shops will often be out of stock---in terms of cd printing,
the Canon USA printers were too cheap to pay some royality to phillips and hence cd printing is not a factory stock option---see numerous threads on this forum on how to do it your self add cd printing----however many European Canons have cd printing as a factory stock option.----so being in Europe, check the printer you buy--it may have cd printing as a factory option--if not you can add it with some work.

3. Refilling can be at least a 10-15 x reduction in ink consumable costs---using third party cartridges probably no more than a 7x reduction in cost.-----if you refill or use third party cartridges its important to check user experiences---why buy a pig in the poke?-------I recommend the "nifty stuff forums"----google name without quotes, for good recommendation in terms of European supplies of ink and third party cartridges.
I am not familar with Pelikan ink but have heard alot of good things said about MIS inks------many prefer it to Canon OEM in terms of color balance.-----in terms of fade resistance of prints-----OEM ink is probably better but the photopaper used is also a factor.----as well as how you store the print.-----but high ozone levels or high levels of UV light will fade any dye based ink over time.-----and Canon printheads are designed for dye based color inks----so be carefull and make sure some cheapo ink refill kit does not have pigment based inks-----get something Canon compatable.

4. Refilling and third party cartridges are just so much easier with the non-chipped Canons.---maybe a work around for the chip will be found soon.---until that workaround is found I personally feel the cnon-chipped Canons are a better choice.
Osage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 8:02 PM   #6

The Epson RX700 is a 6 color all-in-1 that scans slides and negetives,and is a very good photo printer.As for the Epson head clogging, it has not been a problem on any of my 6 Epson photo printers in the past 18 months.I sold my Canon i9900 about that time,because of head clogs! I now own Epson R800,R2400,7800 Pro.I have also owned the 4000,4800 and R1800.I sometimes go for more than a week without printing on them, as I am often out of town! Still no clogging.

I also install systems and networks.In that line,I have recommended several Canon multifunction units.None of the Canon units can match the RX700 in scanning capabilities or tops it in photo printing! It is not cheap, but I would check it out,if I were looking for an all-in-1 !
jeepers94 is offline   Reply With Quote