Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jan 8, 2006, 10:26 AM   #1

I know that Canon's genuine CLI-8 ink cartridges use electronic chips to notify you with blinking lights that they are running low. However, I owned a Canon i950s that used the BCI-6 cartridges. I replaced the i950 with the iP6600D, but I still have several unused Canongenuine BCI-6 cartridges left over. Does anyone know if the older cartridges can be used in the newer printer without problems? Are the inks exactly the same? Would the BCI-6 inks clog the heads of the ip6600D? If they are different in color print characteristics, are they so much different that a new color print profile would need to be created for these inks?

I'm guessing that they are really only different with regard to the electronic chip. Does anyone KNOW FOR SURE?

RDinwiddie
rdinwiddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2006, 10:58 PM   #2

rdinwiddie

I believe the cartridges are of different size/shape too. So, they might not fit properly. Also, with the printer reading the chip on the cartridge, you will be getting an empty or invalid reading with the BCI 6 ones installed.

To my knowledge, they have changed the ink in the new BCI 8 ones. They say that the print life is longer.

Bill
Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 11:20 PM   #3

Thanks, Bill. I appreciate the info.

Ron
rdinwiddie is offline   Reply With Quote