Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jan 17, 2006, 7:21 PM   #1

I have read all the Raves on Canon printers (vs my present series of Epsons) and decided to buy an ip5200 from Amazon.
So, why the ip5200 over the ip8500?
The ip8500 prints 4800 dpi and the ip5200 prints 9600 dpi.

Isn't dpi the "Holy Grail" for printers, particularly photo printers?

Sure there are more and different inks, but in my Photoshop (the same as everybody's) I deal with RBY or CYMK.

I realize that owners of ANY particular product will shout the praises of that product (Yamaha MC owners think they have the best, as do Honda owners, etc...) but IS the ip8500 LESS detail-quality? The "numbers" say so.

Anyway, with all the PR that the ip8500 is getting, many potential buyers may want to look at the better dpi and less cost of the ip5200.

Y4806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2006, 8:20 PM   #2

Y4806 wrote:
Quote:
I have read all the Raves on Canon printers (vs my present series of Epsons) and decided to buy an ip5200 from Amazon.
So, why the ip5200 over the ip8500?
The ip8500 prints 4800 dpi and the ip5200 prints 9600 dpi.

Isn't dpi the "Holy Grail" for printers, particularly photo printers?

Sure there are more and different inks, but in my Photoshop (the same as everybody's) I deal with RBY or CYMK.

I realize that owners of ANY particular product will shout the praises of that product (Yamaha MC owners think they have the best, as do Honda owners, etc...) but IS the ip8500 LESS detail-quality? The "numbers" say so.

Anyway, with all the PR that the ip8500 is getting, many potential buyers may want to look at the better dpi and less cost of the ip5200.
While yes, the ip5200 and other new pixmas offer 9600dpi... keep in mind that this is not an accurate measurement of resolution, simply the smallest stark dots the printhead can make. These fine dots are pattered into shades, so the actual resolution, as in the actual smallest pixle the printer can make would be in somewhere between 600dpi and 1400dpi (I'm guessing). While the dots are larger on the ip8500, it doesn't have to dither as it offers light cyan and light magenta as well as red and blue IIRC. Also for example I prefered the output on my epson r200 though technicaly lower resolution and larger drop size... it just simply looked better. Smoother shades and transisitions.

But what to buy, that's up to you. I lack any experence with the newer models and haven't taken the time to contrast them with the other models. I'd also look into the ip6600 and the japanese pixus ip7500.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 11:52 PM   #3

ZZ,
I do understand the dithering, etc..., but the ability to spit smaller and smaller dots is supposed to try to get to the millions of grains in regular film.
I have a modern, small, dye-sub (Kodak) and an elderly Fargo Primera Pro dye sub. I know they are "rated" at 300 dpi BUT with the dye and heat they "squish" the dots toward continuos-tone.
My newer inkjet Epsons do 5700-ish dpi and, with a lupe I can see the dots. There is no "squish." I have seen several reports/reviews on the dullness of Epson's prints too. I recall my early (very early) Epsons were MORE vibrant than my current ones. I've had to do a LOT of fiddling with brightness/saturation to get my modern ones up to the standard of my old ones.
My expectations for the Canon ip5200 are MORE dots and, if all the reviews on Canon ink are near-true, more vibrant colors (than Epson/HP). (No squish is expected).
I also "get" that the bigger dots (unsquished) of the ip8500 will have more and different colors of BIG dots. No doubt that the RED-red ip8500 will spit out red-er red and the same for the green tank. The rest of the colors should be about the same as the "normal" colors of any printer.
I would think that for the ip8500 to "deserve" the top-dog position and much higher cost then they should have added the extra ink tanks AND the 9600 dpi print head? Maybe this is next year's plan? If so, this year's ip8500 buyers will NOT be happy campers!
Old Jan 18, 2006, 12:45 AM   #4

Y4806 wrote:
Quote:
I would think that for the ip8500 to "deserve" the top-dog position and much higher cost then they should have added the extra ink tanks AND the 9600 dpi print head? Maybe this is next year's plan? If so, this year's ip8500 buyers will NOT be happy campers!
Then it simply would not be the ip8500. And the ip8500 probally costs more for a good reason... the head is the same as the i9900/i9950 IIRC, an a3 model. As to cost well that sometimes is a function of what it costs to make, not always what is better or worse. Still there has to be a reason the ip8600 is still sold in japan and carries with it a pricetag of greater than ¥9000. [/b]Oddly enough there is no ip6600 pixus, only the ip7500 which I'd seriously consider.

Still your points are valid and I would take the time to compair the ip8500 to the mp950 and the ip6600 and see for you self. But you will note that sometimes the prosumer model costs a heck of alot more than a lesser model though listed as a lower dpi... like the epson r1800 vs the r2400.

Pixus mp950 ¥39,800[/b]
Pixus ip8600 ¥36,800
[/b]Pixus ip7500 ¥27,800 --price by amazon.co.jp

[/b]
zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 12:07 PM   #5

I just re-read Steve's review and MAYBE he has some on the same thoughts I have:

"...The iP5200 is another of Canon's 5-color printers that leaves me wondering why I own and use the 8-color i9900. When I see just how good the photo prints look when using only the three primary colors (cyan, magenta and yellow), I don't know why I need those other ink colors, or the added expense. With the 1-picoliter size ink droplets the prints are virtually grainless..."

Now if the 9900/8500 machines had the FINE print head, THAT would be "top dog."