Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jan 19, 2006, 1:54 PM   #1

I bought an Ink Republic system for my new R2400 and have not been able to get it to work. The cartridges don't fit tightly and the fill tubes jam when the print head moves to the far left, causing the motor to screech. My emails to Ink Republic have gone unanswered. The instructions and videos are terrible and don't offer any solutions.

Any tips?

sdelaet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2006, 4:54 PM   #2

sdelaet wrote:
Quote:
I bought an Ink Republic system for my new R2400 and have not been able to get it to work. The cartridges don't fit tightly and the fill tubes jam when the print head moves to the far left, causing the motor to screech. My emails to Ink Republic have gone unanswered. The instructions and videos are terrible and don't offer any solutions.

Any tips?
Hmm... had a feeling we'd see one of these one day... The problem is that Ink Republic pay naff all attention to the tube pathways and you end up with a plug and pray approach... so here's a few tips that should work.

1. Spacing out the buffers..
I used some paper which I'd folded multiple times and then popped between them so they space out properly and hold each other up... You could use some foam, bubble wrap or something similar. It just stops the buffers tilting and losing their seal. Whatever you do, don't use something you can remove if you need to reseat the buffers.

2. Create some tube clips/guides.
For this you need a glue gun, sharp blade and some patience. Cut a small segment of the tube guide stuff they give you (about half an inch or slightly more). Scrape off the glue backing as it won't be strong enough and file the edges to remove any sharp cutting parts.

3. Get the instructions from MIS
I kid you not... these will help enormously.
http://www.inksupply.com/instructions/r2400direct.doc

4. Look at the images in the above doc.
The bit that you particularly want to pay attention to is the way the tubing is controlled and fed back so it runs along parrallel to the length of the printer. It's up to you how you do it but my recommendation would be to try something like I did here:

You'll need to experiment but if you can get the tubing to line up properly you'll be getting there.

You may end up having to remove the cover for the carts (as per MIS) and tacking a thin piece of plastic over to act as a mount point. Remember that when the carriage travels far left the tubing will be bent over and will need to have enough room to avoid crimping too much and damaging the tube at the bend.

5. Mount a clip at the designated point
As per the "MIS doc-Step 4" you need to mount a clip the will hold your tubing up and out of the printer so perhaps use a piece of plastic, a broken ruler or something to create a bridge and glue another bit of the tube guide on it to hold the tube in the correct place. The measurement on the MIS doc is particular as it should stop the tubing dropping and catching under the head.

Note: Try mounting the clip on top of the bridge and see if that'll work but if not glue it underneath. Whichever way you go, you need to put some electricians tape (it's easy to peel off if you go wrong) over the tube and clip to hold it tight in place (once you get it in the right position - see below). You don't want it to flex.

6. Adjust the tube slack
Run the print head carriage back and forth and adjust the tube slack so it'll run all the way out to the left side and all the way back to the right. Check the bend in the tubing when it's all far left under the printer cover and make sure it's not crimping.. Adjust as in point 4 of this list until you're happy.

7. Secure and test
Secure the tubing in place and run the carriage back and forth a few times manually to check your positioning and to be sure the tubing doesn't drop into the print well in a way that would catch under the printer.

Adjust as necessary...

Frankly speaking if you are in any doubt about doing this at all, I'd seriously consider getting a new kit from MIS assoc' and doing it properly... After all the 2400 is a printer you don't want to damage.. That said, if you are confident and willing to experiment you should manage to get it all fixed up properly..

If you want any other help and/or to review the whole experience please feel free to post up on http://www.continuousink.com/ as I'm sure someone else may find themselves in the same position.

Hope that helps...

Martin

websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 5:12 PM   #3

Thanks. I think all that may be over my head. I ordered a refillable cartridge system from MIS Supply. Hopefully that will work. Any idea how I can get rid of an almost brand new Ink Republic system?

Old Jan 20, 2006, 11:35 AM   #4

sdelaet wrote:
Quote:
Thanks. I think all that may be over my head. I ordered a refillable cartridge system from MIS Supply. Hopefully that will work. Any idea how I can get rid of an almost brand new Ink Republic system?
Well you could try requesting a refund based on your experience or ebay it...

I'd offer to buy it off you but (a) money is so tight it squeaks and (b) I don't have an R2400 to fit it in

Sorry I couldn't help more...
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 12:09 PM   #5

I've read some threads talking about InkRepublic's email server cannot communiate with AOL andd some other servers, maybe that's the reason why they did not reply you, do you want me to forward your problem to them? most of time, I got their reply in one or two hours. not saying they have good customer service, but one to two hours lead time is pretty reasonable.
steveanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 10:13 AM   #6

I did get a replyl, two in fact that were very helpful.
Thaniks very much for following up.

Steve
Old Jan 25, 2006, 6:31 PM   #7

sd,

I am using Inkrepublic as well on my Epson printer. For me, the installation was a breeze (pretty detailed installation documentation, including videos, and helpful customer service. They replied my email quickly.

The ink carrier cover on your original Epson R2400 has to be replaced to prevent the tubes being pinched by the cover. Did you do that? Other than that there are NO modifications done to the printer (keep the old cover of course) so you can easily revert if you need to send the printer to service.

I took some cycles of nozzle tests+head cleaning to get to a smooth printout, but the nice thing about it that now the cost of wasted ink during this process is negligiable. Once this is done you'll need to profile the printer again based on the new ink/paper combination. This is it.

On their knowledgebase, they suggest people to use hair dryer to make a smooth printout at the first few prints. I did not do that, but several clean cycles would improve too.

Other than that, I dont have any major problem with InkRepublic system. Perhaps you need to check their knowledge base that has more information.

http://www.InkRepublic.com/KnowledgeBase/index.asp

Old Jan 26, 2006, 11:18 AM   #8

Thanks for this info. They did reply. I did change the cover but I think the problem was that Idid not have the 12" long tube holder placed at an angle (as they recommended). I haven't reinstalled it but will this weekend.

How do you find the quality of the ink?

Steve
Old Feb 2, 2006, 1:35 PM   #9

SD, that's great.
You can request a longer bridge from them.
The ink I am using now is from InkRepublic, the quality is good to me. I am going to buy more ink from them as they seemed to lower down their price. plus it is free shipping.