Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jan 20, 2006, 11:22 AM   #1

I am not a professional photographer but want a good photo printer. If I get something like the Canon iP5000 or, if I can locate one, a Canon i960 will I have problems with clogging if the printer sits idle for a couple of weeks or is only used for text printing during that time? Any recommendations?
This is a great forum, I've learned a lot from all of you.
red1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2006, 8:44 PM   #2

To red1,

In general Canon printers are good at sitting idle for months. Unlike Epsons.
But the ip5000 and the i960 are slightly different printers---the i960 is a dedicated photoprinter---it lacks a text black cartridge--and the ip5000 has a BCI-3eblk text cartridge and is more general purpose.

But any ink jet printer will have clog problems if left idle for more than four months.

Its best to use any inkjet at least once a month.
Osage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2006, 8:46 PM   #3

I have a ip5000 and it is all I want in a printer. It makes prints to A4 or 10 x 8 and to me they are as good as commercials ones. My printer is left switched off for a couple of months occasionally when I am travelling with no problems whatsoever.

My daughter has the ip 4200 model (used to be ip4000) and I cannot see any difference. If I were buying again I would save the money and get the 4200.

I aslo use generic inks other than the expensive Canon ones. The difference in price here in Australia is Canon $A24..The generic $A6.50 they are Tonny and I buy them vis maiol order from Sydney. They were recommended by PC user as "top Buy".

It does mean I print mainly 10 x 8 or full page A$ without worrying about the price of ink

Fred
Bootneck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2006, 8:57 PM   #4

I have just read another question on the Canon printers...check forum.

It was news to me that the ip5000 and the ip4000 are different from the ip4200 and 5200 in that they use different ink tanks which at present cannot be replaced by genericks. So be aware
Bootneck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2006, 9:34 AM   #5

Bootneck2 wrote:
Quote:
My daughter has the ip 4200 model (used to be ip4000) and I cannot see any difference. If I were buying again I would save the money and get the 4200.

I aslo use generic inks other than the expensive Canon ones. The difference in price here in Australia is Canon $A24..The generic $A6.50 they are Tonny and I buy them vis maiol order from Sydney. They were recommended by PC user as "top Buy".
As Bootneck2 pointed out in the next post you CANNOT get generic (Aftermarket) cartridges for the iP4200 or iP5200 due to the new chip design..

If you want to be able to use such cartridges at present you need to try and get an older model iP4000 instead.
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2006, 10:57 AM   #6

Thanks so much to you all. Thanks to all the info I'm going w/ the 5000 instead of the i960. I do want to use compatible ink and am hoping the 5000 works, as it says it does, in OS 9 as well as OSX on Macs. I have some classic software I will want to use.
red1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 7:57 AM   #7

I have the ip5000 it's a darn good printer, very economical, it's quite easy to think that the more colours a printer has the better the picture, to the average person the ip5000 series will stand its ground with printer running four or five more colours.

One good site to view is Photo-i and lets not forget the reveiws on this site.

Davy
davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 1:20 PM   #8

red1 wrote:
Quote:
I am not a professional photographer but want a good photo printer. If I get something like the Canon iP5000 or, if I can locate one, a Canon i960 will I have problems with clogging if the printer sits idle for a couple of weeks or is only used for text printing during that time? Any recommendations?
This is a great forum, I've learned a lot from all of you.
If you want something i960 like, as in the extra light cyan and magenta inks, and you want good text printing like the ip5000, you simply have to either go the mp900/mp950 multi fuctional which costs a pretty penny, or go the pixus ip7500 which near as i'm aware is only sold in japan. I'm on the ip3000 my self and it does a pretty fab job, the ip5000 I imagine even more so.

The printer is pretty good about self maintance. I have a friend with an older model who goes for months without printing, and his only issue is having to do a manual cleaning from time to time. It's a thermal inkjet so clogs are not as deep as micropiezo technology, and the head can be removed for more agressive cleaning. For example, my niece has a very old canon that has gone years without cleaning and all that was required to get it operational again was windex. But let's assume the worst, typicaly speaking the head costs 50% to 66% the value of a new printer. This isn't great, but could be worse.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote