Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jan 21, 2006, 7:48 PM   #1

Just bought a fairly cheap one off ebay for my r300.

1) Earlier today, all the smaller tanks were about half full - now some of them are empty and haven't refilled. The large part of the tank is full. Is this OK?

2) Sometimes the tubes are not full of ink - I ran head cleaning to refill them, but I've wasted a lot of ink (and send the pad protection to maximum in the process). IS this Ok? Will it suck through the ink when it needs it?

3) I have rubber stoppers in one part of the tamks (bigger hole) and filters in the other part (smaller hole) - what do they do? Does it matter if I take them out and puct them back in whilst the tanks are full?

Thanks
Stuart
sidneysides is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2006, 3:19 AM   #2

It looks like all the air hasn't been removed when the system was primed, and the air is moving back and forth from cartridge to tube.

This isn't necessarily a problem -- so long as the bottle levels keep going down, you can be sure ink is being drawn through.

My own system does exactly the same thing, I've refilled all the bottles once so far and have yet to experience any difficulty with it.

I'd just go on using the printer in the normal way -- head cleans won't pull the air through in any case, you must position the cartridge so the air can rise through it and use a vacuum pump (needle-less syringe) to do this.

You should not remove the large rubber stoppers unless you need to refill the bottles, and before you do so you should remove the filters and replace them with the seals that were in the openings when the system was delivered (I hope you carefully put them away -- if you discarded them you'll have to find another way to seal the openings.)

Replace the large seals before removing the smaller ones and putting the filters back, so that ink doesn't fill up the breather tubes.

If ink does appear to be part way up the breather tubes, you can get it back into the main body by tipping the bottle assembly on its back (do not do this unless both the large and small rubber stoppers are firmly home!) -- you'll see ink go in and air bubble out until the breather is almost empty (note a small amount of ink in the breather side of the bottle is normal), you can then re-install the filters, which are only there to keep dust out and allow air in.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2006, 1:50 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply

Tipped the bottles and sure enough, air bubbles appeared etc. Now the small part of the tank is full to the top. Is this what you meant by the 'breather side'? Shiould I have this bit full to the top or should most of the ink be in the larger part of the bottles?
Old Jan 22, 2006, 8:16 PM   #4

The small part of the bottle is the breather tube -- it should have as little ink in it as possible -- the ink storage is the large part.

The bottles are used in this manner to keep the ink pressure in the lines and cartridges as even as possible -- to see how this works, Google for "Mariotte Bottle".
Old Jan 23, 2006, 4:39 AM   #5

Is there a way of getting the ink back into the main part of the bottle? The small part is full now, the main part is about 1/4 full
Old Jan 24, 2006, 3:35 AM   #6

Seal both openings so ink can't spill and lay the bottle with the small part upwards, then raise the lower end until you see bubbles rising in the small part -- you might have to raise and lower it a bit -- until the ink has transferred through the slot in the bottom of the small part.

Then stand the bottle upright and replace the filter in the small part.

Some kinds of bottles (JLW Sales, for one) have no opening in the main part and have to be filled in this manner.