Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Mar 17, 2003, 5:57 PM   #1

Default Newbie help for office/photo printer

Hello folks - I'm in the middle of starting my own business and need some advice on printers (of which I know very little). I need to print b&w reports on a daily basis plus daily business letters etc. all of which will go to customers and so must be of high quality.

I also need to print coloured logos/headers and address labels marked with colour logos etc. These need to be of high quality and fine detail too. Down the line it may also be used for printing the occasional photo.

I'm operating from a tiny bedroom and with limited funds so would prefer one printer that can do both jobs, rather than a laser plus an inkjet (though I realise this would be ideal).

In the past I've used a Lexmark Z25 for rough & ready printing. This gives 1200x1200 in colour but no idea what in b&w. Anybody? I was considering the Canon i850 as a possible solution - the inks seem so much cheaper than they are even for old my Lexmark (26 for a Lexmark black cartridge that expires very quickly).

Will the i850 produce good quality text documents (I'm sure it will serve my other needs well) or should I look elsewhere. I note that it gives 600x60 in b&w - will this be an improvement on my old Lexmark for text?

I've tried reading product reviews but frankly I'm more confused now than ever and would really appreciate some impartial and experienced advice.

Cheers for your help folks.

JonKen.
jonken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 17, 2003, 7:02 PM   #2

For an office printer I would suggest an HP 1160 or an HP 2200 either one of these will get you black and white printing for around 2 cents a sheet. For a photo printer hmmmm the canon i850 is'nt bad but as a black and white printer the resolution is lower and the ink cost with black printing is about 4 cents a sheet.

I reccomend buying a dedicated office printer and doing your photos someplace like walmart or costco. Either one of these places can do photos for around .20 to .30 a 4x6 print.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2003, 7:22 PM   #3

Thanks Gregor - but I must confess I'm shocked by the prices LOL. The 2200 is about 400 here, but I can get a Samsung ML-1450 for only 196 - any good mate? I was pleasantly suprised to find such a cheap laser. I now figure I may get a laser for b&w and just keep my old Lexmark for the odd colour label etc. For photos I'll take your advice and use Costco/Staples.

BTW - is laser quality noticeably better than inkjets or is it just the speed and cost where they are superior?

Thanks again.

JonKen.
Old Mar 18, 2003, 11:37 AM   #4

Yeah the 2200 here in the states is 300 american so its not too cheap but the color tanks in it last a very long time.

To your question about the laser printing better than a inkjet. Yes laser printers do print better darker sharper text than a inkjet. But this also depends on the paper used as well. Laser can do sharp printing on any paper. Inkjet might be slightly superior on photo or specialty papers but not on your everyday basic paper like laser printers can.

Also make sure you use your lexmark at least once a month to keep the ink flowing so your ink tanks don't dry up.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2003, 3:08 PM   #5

Are you only thinking about getting a laser?

In the US there is HP 6110 I don't know if there is a similar model in the UK. But this is an inkjet it will do color,photo,fax and scan. It sells for $300 US.

Vimal
vpatel98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2003, 5:44 PM   #6

Thanks again Gregor.

Vpatel - I'm already kitted up for fax etc. mate but thanks for the input anyway.

JonKen.