Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jan 31, 2006, 12:00 PM   #1

Hi i was wondering if any one has any info about re-ink the canon cartrges with the exlectonic in it? My understanding is that if you re-fill the cartriges the it won't tell you that it empty or low? is this correct. :?

Anyone with any info is appreciated.

thanks to all who respond

gean d

gean d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2006, 3:48 AM   #2

My understanding is the printer will see when the electronic cartridge is running low, (and record the fact in its memory). If you then replace it with a genuine, correct color, chipped cartridge.....the printer will continue to function correctly using the electronic chip function and continue to give on screen warnings.

If you introduce a cartridge that is not chipped the printer will say "OK BUT you can use it if you so wish but you are forfeiting the right to have fuure electronic warnings of low ink , do you wish to continue or install a chipped cartridge ?. (all this is presumed it hasn`t happened to me yet.)

This is what I am in the process of doing to hopefully maintain all aspects of ink low warning (in the event i wish to use re-fill ink). (I am not considering 3rd party compatable inks at this time......there are none yet ..that I know of )

Buy an extra set of genuine chipped Canon carts (ouch!). Keep checking the carts in the printer......when one is 2/3 empty in the resovoir (before a warning has been activated hopefully) remove it and replace with a new one from the 2nd set.

Refill the removed cart and continue to monitor the carts until it is needed again,... i.e. when machine cart is 2/3 empty.

Can members of the Forum let me know whether this plan has any merit ? Or have they a better plan instead? I am open to all suggestions !

headphonesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2006, 11:39 AM   #3

headphonesman wrote:
Quote:
If you introduce a cartridge that is not chipped the printer will say "OK BUT you can use it if you so wish but you are forfeiting the right to have fuure electronic warnings of low ink , do you wish to continue or install a chipped cartridge ?. (all this is presumed it hasn`t happened to me yet.)
I haven't heard that you can use the old style cartridges and frankly unless you've actually tried and proven this I wouldn't put any confidence in it working. For one thing the inks are different.

Quote:
Or have they a better plan instead? I am open to all suggestions !
I'm going for a CIS solution by creating a home built ip4200 system using empty OEM cartridges in place of the older Canon carts in an iP4000 unit. This will still result in the warning message and put the printer out of warranty but it will mean that you don't have to monitor the cartridges for levels, just the external bottles.

Of course it's not for everyone so your mileage may vary...

I do know that the prospect of opening up the printer every few days/weeks to check ink levels is going to be a royal pain in the butt.

websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2006, 1:06 PM   #4

Quote:
I haven't heard that you can use the old style cartridges and frankly unless you've actually tried and proven this I wouldn't put any confidence in it working. For one thing the inks are different
websnail... thanks for your comments but I did say iintend using genuine Canon chipped carts to re-fill......not the old style.....I know the ink will not be Chroma but generic.

If the ink low warning is ignored and the chipped cartbecomes empty my understanding is the printer then "cancels " the chip on the cart making it a "foreign" or 3rd part cart when you re-fill it. which is why I want to be ahead of the warning.

CIS is good and in an ideal enviroment I would consider it.......but then:-

Quote:
This will still result in the warning message and put the printer out of warranty
and i want to keep these things at present . The printer fits below the desk quite nicely , needing no headroom.....I mostly use the cassette feed.
Quote:
opening up the printer every few days
this is not a problem I do it anyway with the 4000..... (I`m paranoid about frying the head through dry carts).... many thanks for your suggestions.

gean d......these comments and intentions are based on what I have read in other Forums so far they may yet be invalid or different in the future.
Old Feb 6, 2006, 11:12 AM   #5

Maybe I am confused here------but it was sorta my understanding that if you placed a non chipped cartridge in a chipped Canon printer-----the printer would flat out refuse to use that cartridge. But if you placed a refilled chipped Canon cartridge into a chipped Canon printer and the nozzle fire count had exceeded some preset number in that cartridge----the printer would continue to print using that cartridge after you navigated certain nag screens making dire threats about printer damage and threats about voiding the warranty.

A viable refill option for the chipped Canon user providing they monitor the ink level carefully.

But to address the other question-----will a chipped Canon printer continue to function
if a third party non-chipped cartridge is inserted?-----thats a matter of fact and a yes no binary answer.----since I don't have first hand knowledge I ask other users who do know to clear up that confusion.
Osage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 11:54 AM   #6

Osage...I can definately confirm that refilled chipped tanks function just fine...after the 3 nag screens come up...then the ink monitoring level is simply disabled. I have used a retail tank after the refilled one and the ink monitoring is restored just fine.

Occasionally opening thelid andlooking at the tanks isn't a big deal to me. But apparently a chip resetter is on the horizon (late March according to my supplier).

To my knowledge no one makes a none-chipped tank. Never heard of that.
Jisei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 12:31 PM   #7

Quote:
I have used a retail tank after the refilled one and the ink monitoring is restored just fine.
Jisei

Are you saying that after taking away the ink warning facilities because you used a refilled chipped tank (which had previously ran out and you re-filled), when you replaced this with a genuine fresh (never ever used ) chipped cart, the warning facilities were restored , and everything was as it should be?

If so I was mistaken in what I understood, I thought once ink level warning was taken away it was final.
Old Feb 6, 2006, 12:54 PM   #8

Just to clarify.
The chip on the tank is only for monitoring the ink level, unlike Epsons Intellidge Chip as 'they' call it which counts the number of times the nozzles fires and when a specific count is reached flags to printers cpu to stop.

Problem you may need to bear in mind is that if the head chamber run dry on a Canon you will burn the nozzles out, imagine a electric kettle with no water in, this is why they call Canons bubble jet as opposed to inkjet, they simply boil the ink, the bubble burst and hits the paper, also in a bubble jet the ink serves as a coolent.

If you are into refilling I've learned that it would be feesible to use formulated ink, ink that has been made for that specific brand print head, you can appreciate the ink being composed differently for say an Epson printer which uses a 'cold ink'.

Universal ink, personally I would stay clear of because of the different formulation, keep in mind the nozzles are only microns wide.

Mind you it's ok me to say as I've not yet tried filling the ip5000 yet but certainly would bear formulated ink in mind to avoid clogging etc.

Davy
davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 1:00 PM   #9

Been refilling using ink and cartridge bodies from InkJetGoodies (Media Street) for nearly 3 years, I550, I865, IP3000, IP4000, IP6000d and now an IP8500. Perfect results and at a fraction of the cost of compatible cartridges, costs around 20p (12c) per cartiridge.
phaedra1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 3:46 PM   #10

Davy/Phaedra

I understand both your views. I have been re-filling for the last 3 years . The first bulk ink I bought was "Canon Formulation " and advertisedsold as such)(from Selectafont),, it has had a very good performance in my old S820 , my 4000, and my son`s 950. He insisted on only using Canon formulation (and still does!).

Because I had heavier use than him, (we shared cost50/50).......I had to supplement withSupermarket Tescobought Jettec 30ml C/M/Y (only when on special !)

I only used the "Canon " formulation for special photos, but to be honest side by side I could not see much difference between them , neither did I experience any advantage in the nozzle performance , occasional run throughs with cleaning fluid was needed with both types.

the 820 when it failed was due to a nozzle runnning well dry .......which I should have been more careful about.

I still have a share of the "Canon " ink left and will use that in my first re-fill of the 5200 , which should be some way away (cos I`m keeping it for best !)