Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Feb 2, 2006, 3:34 PM   #1

I own a Canon ip5000 (UK version) which I use for printings on dvds and printing photos and until it just wore out an HP printer for general use (text and non critical pictures). It also had a film reader which I used alot. Now I'm needing a general purpose printer which will mainly be used for text so would the ip4200 be sufficient for this or if I got the ip5200 would it be alot better at printing photos than my ip5000? Also since neither of these have a built-in film reader would there be some other brand and model out there (with a film reader) that would work for my non critical use and be close to the above printer's quality?

Can anyone recommend a good 3rd party ink for my ip5000 (I don't want to refill) that would be close to Canon's OEM that wouldn't require tweeking the settings, just click and print?
mccoady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2006, 6:20 PM   #2

I have the ip5000 and they are very good printers as is the ip4000 and their newer models.

The ip5000 guess will have a slight edge over the ip4000 series when it comes to photos and text.

The text on a standard setting is as good as the laser printer I have and once the fuser has warmed up the Canons just as fast.

I can't say for the newer models, but the ip5000 will only print at the 1pL - the highest resolution when photo paper pro is selected, other wise it prints at the standard 2pL setting or whatever the user selects for the other printing media.

They are very economical to use, if using third party ink or want to refill, which is easy with the Canons I was told to to use formulated ink, ink that is made for Canon printers as opposed to 'Universal' inks.

You can appreciate, say an Epsons ink jet and the Canon's bubble jet uses different type print heads which requires different ink contents for the delivery system, ones a cold ink the other has to boil the ink, the hot air expands and pops the bubble spraying the ink in the correct place.

Had my ip5000 since last June/July and not one manual head clean has ever been needed.

Maybe you have seen Steves printer reviews on this site, just click Steves Digicams on the top left, also Photo-i does good review's as well.

Davy
davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 6:39 AM   #3

I have an ip4200 - only used it so far for printing photos. Must say that I am 110% impressed. Quick, quiet, & stunning pictures.

The only drawback is that there are no 3rd part cartridgess yet, & if you refill them you loose the ink monitoring capabilities, as the cartridges are chipped. Refill ink is starting to come available, so I'm hoping that either a chip resetter or 3rd party cartridges appear soon.

Jim
yrurdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 7:40 AM   #4

yrurdj wrote:
Quote:
Refill ink is starting to come available, so I'm hoping that either a chip resetter or 3rd party cartridges appear soon.
Don't bet on it... Reliable sources I've spoken to in the aftermarket cartridge industry are saying it's likely to be as much as 9 months before the chips are understood well enough to create alternates.
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 4:37 PM   #5

guess they got to learn the coding that is used to programme the chip and what the commands are, programming is easy enough once you have the code.

Davy
davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 3:58 PM   #6

I don't know how hard it would be to find another ip5000 to avoid the new chipped cartridges but if I could is it even possible to have two installed on the same computer? I mean how could you (or the computer) differentiate between the two ip5000's, is there a way? I wouldn't mind having another one to do most of my everyday printing and save my UK one for disc and photos. I'm going to try 3rd party inks and this would certainly be more economical using them in both Canons than the more expensive HP carts I have to buy for my HP printer (I would just retire it).
Old Feb 6, 2006, 5:22 PM   #7

Quote:
possible to have two installed on the same computer? I mean how could you (or the computer) differentiate between the two ip5000's, is there a way?
I think its fairly simple .....I was going to do the same with 2x ip4000`s, In fact the sole 4000 I have on their is stillnamed Pixma4000A in preparation for installing the second which would have been installed calling it Pixma4000B. The computer knows that A is connected to port X and that B is connected to port Y (viaUSB) . You can call a printer what you like........Caxton perhaps ?.......... (control Panel /printers/rename)

I am not a teccie person ......please shoot me down if I am wrong !
headphonesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 6:59 AM   #8

headphonesman wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
possible to have two installed on the same computer? I mean how could you (or the computer) differentiate between the two ip5000's, is there a way?
I think its fairly simple .....

I am not a teccie person ......please shoot me down if I am wrong !

*puts gun away*

Nope, you're right... the computer will differentiate between your printers and it's relatively easy to rename them so you know which is which.

If it helps I have 4x C84's, a C86, a D88, plus 2x iP4000, an MP750 and an iP4200 all installed on one machine and in the end the hardest part was thinking of a short name to help me ID which printer was which.
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 11:12 AM   #9

Well I guess I learned something today now to find a new ip5000. Searching on Ebay there are some ip5000's but they are factory reconditioned, would these be a gamble?
Old Mar 13, 2006, 7:22 PM   #10

Hail Websnail,

Is there a big difference is the print speed and photo print quality between the C84 and the iP4200?

I am considering to replacing my C84.

Thanx a bunch. :-)
ulric is offline   Reply With Quote