Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Feb 3, 2006, 6:14 PM   #1

I want to start selling prints at craft fairs/art markets. For those of you who sell at these venues, do customers really care about ink longevity or are Canon'srelatively short-lived inks good enough? I certainly don't want to lose potential customers!

dvock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2006, 8:46 PM   #2

Its my understanding from various posts at the nifty stuff formus that the photopaer used is at least as important as the ink in terms of print fading---which can be caused by factors such as simple exposure to UV light
and various chemical contaments in the air----especially ozone. Also protective coatings can be applied.

In general, a pigment based ink resists fading better but has less vibrant colors.
The nifty stuff forums tests also cast doubt on if HP inks are much better than Canon inks in regard to fading.

So if you are concerned about customer perceived quality and fade resistance I recommend you go to the nifty stuff forums, read and familarise yourself with the fade report. You could then include some display recommendations with each sold print
and if the customer then refuses to follow that advice its their own fault if the print
fades.-----but if you use a good swellable photopaper, thats half the battle right there.
Osage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2006, 5:43 AM   #3

dvock

If you are trying to sell prints, you should give the customer the best that you can. IF you have prints that fade, they might say some things about your quality of work and steer customers away.

So, my point is, use the print process that you can afford that will last the longest. The Canon's will fade if you use the BCI-6 type inks. I had some fade on me in less than a year, behind glass, with no direct sunlight. I do not use that printer now for my prints that I have for sale. Do some reading on the different printers and their print life.

Bill
Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 2:00 AM   #4

Thanks for your good advice.
dvock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 9:00 AM   #5

When we used to do the art show circuit I displayed print life expectancy posters in our booth.

It did seem to give us an edge when the other people selling prints did not know what their image life expectancy was or their material clearly had an inferior life.

I suspect most people comming to the shows have no clue when they arrive but after reading a bit seem to think it is important. Near the end I did see others start to publish similar lists in their booths.

I know it has changed now, when we did it our Epson pigment prints on the paper we used were suppoosed to last 80-100 years. The next runner up was Fuji Cristal Archive which had a life of about 60 years. Then all the others fell in somewhere below that. I am sure the other brands have improved now.

I no longer print at home it is more cost effective to use a custom pro lab both for customer prints and for fine art images sent to the gallery.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote