Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Feb 12, 2006, 1:22 AM   #1

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help... when I print from this one document I have, my MP500 ignores the feed switch and goes straight to the auto sheet feeder - its like it doesn't recognise that there's any paper in the bottom paper tray. I don't have this problem with any other documents - they all print to the tray thats selected by the feed switch.

I was wondering if its a setting issue or if anyone has any advice.

Thanks
Burgsmondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2006, 4:35 AM   #2

Probably it's getting a feed command from the document that over-rides the manual switch.

If so, you'd need to remove the instruction.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2006, 7:13 AM   #3

Nope, the document is set to feed switch aswell. Even when I set the document to print from the cassette it still prints from the sheet feeder.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 1:19 PM   #4

To bugsmondo,

Seems to me this is a question Canon support should be answering---its likely to have a manufacuring defect
and should be in warranty----could be as simple as a loose or broken wire---but its Canon's baby and if its not working right exchange it for something that does work right------in any manufacturing process there are always some defective units--thats why good faith manufacters offer warranties-----to prevent customer ill will when a defective unit slips past quality control.

And if its user fixable--like some loose piece jamming something---do it under Canon support supervision.to keep it under warranty.
Osage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2006, 9:04 AM   #5

What confounds me is that its just the one document...thanks Osage, I'll give Canon a go.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 7:03 PM   #6

Still think you'll eventually find it's the document that's doing it -- printer is a slave device that does (mostly...) what it's told.

Somewhere in the initialisation header, or possibly the early part of the document, there will be a character or series of characters that the printer interprets as a command to switch the paper feed.

Time was that most printers had a list of such commands in their manual.

That doesn't seem to happen any more, but they're still controlled in the same old way -- by command characters embedded in the document that are executed instead of printed.

Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 4:07 PM   #7

open up that document - click file/page setup/papersource. Set to Feed Switch.

ripparubberlips is offline   Reply With Quote