Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Feb 14, 2006, 10:49 AM   #1

Hi

Id like to buy my first photo printer.

I'm looking to spend around £100's, and it would be nice to have a built in scanner as well.

I like the idea of having a built in card reader, and possibly an LCD screen, although I am not sure ifan LCD isvital, after all I am using a PC.

Width is an issue with the small amount of space I have,but im not sokeen on the looks of the traditional wide looking printers anyway, likesome of the Epsons.

I understand that to many of you £100's isn't very much, but this is my budget.

I don'tneed to print anything larger than a4.

It would be handy to have a paper tray but Irealise that might be pushing it for £100's.

Cannon appear to be selling reconditioned models at a good rate on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Canon-Outlet-M...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks for all your help

5hane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2006, 1:48 PM   #2

I have a Canon ip5000.

The LCD displays are OK if you don't want to use a computer to print the photo ie direct printing from a camera, yet again alittle touching is required then you are going to have to use the computer that's the reason I believe the LCD displays are used for.

You'll find printer reviews by clicking Steve's Digi Cams logo above and also at Photo-i, but they'er printers and not scanners as well.

Buying a printer can be a poser, it all depends on what you want from it, top quality photos, family snaps or a bit of everything including text, you may be aware that some photo printers are not really designed for printing text.

This Canon for example, as two black inks on uses a pigment in a larger tank for text and another black using dye based inks photos, as you can probably tell I use mine for everything even graphics a very economical printer.

I much prefer seperate ink tanks then two, one black and one tri-colour and prefer a seperate scanner in case one goes faulty, yet again less space is taken up.

The list is really non stopping, but a £100 you can get quite a respectable printer, what you also need to consider is the replacement ink cartridges, before deciding look through various forums and user reviews on shopping channels and I'm sure you'll make a wise choice.

Davy
davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2006, 3:17 PM   #3

To Shane,

Not that bad deal at that price. The MP130 is based on the ip1500 printer engine and is
Canon's bottom line multifunctional.--but at least its non-chipped. It uses smallish cartridges and is not especially economical when used with OEM cartridges. From what I have read it has very good output and can become very economical using third party cartridges that can be obtained--at least in the US--for a dollar each. And you get a full factory warranty so buy with confidence. But OEM to OEM cartridges, a MP130 will have twice the consumable costs of something based on the BCI-3&6 cartridge line.

But I would hold out for a higher level printer if you are going refurbished. Something like a MP 750, 760,or 780 which are very economical even using OEM cartridges and non-chipped. And dirt cheap to operate if you go third party cartridges.

Beware of the new chipped Canons if you have any plans to use anything but OEM cartridges. Third paty cartridges are not an option on a MP450--at least until a way is found around the chip----and the smaller cartridges are too small to be good refill candidates.-----but many are refilling the larger chipped Canons based on the CLI-5+8 line of cartridges.

My gamble on refurbished was different-----I bought a non-Canon refurbished MP730 for the dirt cheap price of twentysix bucks US---and shipping was a rip off fourty bucks. The guarantee stunk but I got lucky and got a good unit. My advice on refurbished is to go high end---thats where the super bargains are. And a hundred pounds may buy a pretty good unit with careful shopping.----but the guarrantee and exchange policy is super important or you are gambling. I gambled and won--but was prepared to accept a loss.
Osage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2006, 4:34 PM   #4

5hane wrote:
Quote:
Hi

Id like to buy my first photo printer.

I'm looking to spend around £100's, and it would be nice to have a built in scanner as well.

I like the idea of having a built in card reader, and possibly an LCD screen, although I am not sure ifan LCD isvital, after all I am using a PC.

Width is an issue with the small amount of space I have,but im not sokeen on the looks of the traditional wide looking printers anyway, likesome of the Epsons.

I understand that to many of you £100's isn't very much, but this is my budget.

I don'tneed to print anything larger than a4.

It would be handy to have a paper tray but Irealise that might be pushing it for £100's.

Cannon appear to be selling reconditioned models at a good rate on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Canon-Outlet-M...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks for all your help

50 quid will get you something bottom of the line, and even when those bottom of the line printers print OK the cost per page is higher. £67.20 according to amazon.co.uk will get you the ip4200, £94.00 will get you the ip5200. These are printers only but should be considered. The tanks are reasonable in size for the ink, it offers a seperate larger tank for text only if you want a general purpose printer. Not as cool as the older models in terms of accepting aftermarket ink yet.

If your buying OEM expect to spend £9 or so for each tank OEM, and that is actually a reasonable price considering the mp130 takes smaller tanks that are more than 1/2 the price. Even buying aftermarket you'll spend more in ink than the printer. It's best to know how much you're going to print to see if spending an extra 17 to 50 quid will cost you less after one year of use.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 5:22 AM   #5

Thanksfor all of yourreplies, its great that you alltook your time to give me more than a few words of advice.

The ip5200 almostlooks like just the ticket, its a shame it doesn't have a card reader, where as im now in two minds on gettinga built inscanner, although I just know ill regret not getting one with a scanner later on.

Regarding the non existent memory card slots, I did notice it has something called Pictbridge, and Canon say thatpictbridge is almost industry standard!,that being the case my Sony H1 should be compatible.

I like the idea with theip5200 that it can be a front loader, but im confused about the cd/dvd draw; Surely theip5200 would need an LCD in order to see what's on the disc's, unless you view the disc on the computermonitor, but that would then make the drive on the printer pointless.

Old Feb 15, 2006, 6:01 AM   #6

5hane wrote:
Quote:
The ip5200 almost looks like just the ticket, its a shame it doesn't have a card reader, where as im now in two minds on getting a built in scanner, although I just know ill regret not getting one with a scanner later on.
This depends on whether you are the sort of person who enjoys the ability to scan to paper without the PC being on. It is handy, it does save cables and space. Having memory card slots is pretty handy but jacking your camera into the printer and printing from it is the next best thing. It's up to you whether it's worth spending more money for an all in one printer.

There is always the ip6600D, but that is less of a general purpose printer. It does have the card slots but no scanner. It's cost per page for plain text on plain paper would be higher, and because it uses 6 ink tanks it's color photos will be higher as well, but you at least get something for the extra money.

Quote:
Regarding the non existent memory card slots, I did notice it has something called Pictbridge, and Canon say that pictbridge is almost industry standard!, that being the case my Sony H1 should be compatible.
Pictbridge is an industry standard, just not offered on all models of printers for some reason. But Canon does offer it on most of their models and the Sony H1 I believe supports it as well. I have an older Fuji camera that doesn't support pictbridge.

Quote:
I like the idea with the ip5200 that it can be a front loader, but im confused about the cd/dvd draw; Surely the ip5200 would need an LCD in order to see what's on the disc's, unless you view the disc on the computer monitor, but that would then make the drive on the printer pointless.
The printer prints onto CDs, but does not read them at all. This is a nifty feature I use on my ip3000 on a regular basis.

Still to illistrate a point... my old HP950 had no LCD to speak of except a small display for text. It permited the use of cards and offered a proof sheet where it would print off what was on the card and allowed you to select which pictures you wanted by the use of a pencil where it rescanned and provided the hard copy. The Canon in contrast isn't so spiffy but is a good solid printer.

CD printing isn't a feature on north american models out of the box, but it can be enabled.

Old Feb 15, 2006, 6:23 AM   #7

Hi zakezuke

Quote:
The printer prints onto CDs, but does not read them at all.
Doh, silly me!

NowI see the SonyH1 does support pictbridge I have no use for a card reader

So if I can just be convinced I don't need a scanner, I think this will be the printer for me.
Old Feb 15, 2006, 8:55 AM   #8

To Shane,

Just remember that the ip5200 is chipped---the highly similar ip5000 is not.
Both should be available refurbished---take the time to learn what you gain
or lose with either-----but both are super good photo and general purpose
printers.

The main advantage of a multifuntional with its own scanner is to save desk top
space-----a better option is usually a printer and a seperate scanner. With the possible exception of a MP760, most scanners in multifuntions are not good enough to scan small objects like 35 mm film negatives.

So get the printer first-----add a scanner later and a super cheap one will be all you need for most things.---used or refurbished is also a scanner option.
Osage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 9:10 AM   #9

5hane wrote:
Quote:
Hi zakezuke

NowI see the SonyH1 does support pictbridge I have no use for a card reader

So if I can just be convinced I don't need a scanner, I think this will be the printer for me.
Well I don't honestly know if you need a scanner or not, or can live with an external one. The problem is what I own the mp760 fetches a pretty penny and technicaly is an older model replaced by the mp800 IIRC... more like the ip4200/ip5200 but having spiffy features.

Card readers are still handy even if you already own a camera that supports pictbridge, or even a camera that jacks in via USB. Your friends might have cameras but not bring the cable. But we are talking USD$20ish or less handy to get one on the PC. Not as cool as a scanner based one, but acceptable.

But to get as decent a printer as the ip4200/ip5200 and a scanner you simply have to buy the the mp800. at over and about 200 quid, or the mp500 at there and abouts of 140 quid. It's up to you whether to buy a scanner after you buy a printer and live with the fact that you have to use the PC to copy and odds are get a better quality product or spend the extra money for an all in one unit, or go with a cheap lesser model that will cost more per page. A good rule of thumb is think you'll spend more on ink than you ever will on the printer, and the cheaper printer most often costs much more than the average priced consumer model.

There is also the mp760/780 which are 300quid and 200quid respectivly or so. they are older, technicaly lower resolution, but take aftermarket ink which is 1/2 to 1/4 the price.

Old Feb 15, 2006, 10:23 AM   #10

Gawd, what shall I do.

Iv lived without a scanner for the last 10 years, so I think perhaps I can live without one for the time being.

Iv got an external card reader attached to the PC, albeit the cards don't always get read due to the fact that for some reason hardware I plug into my USB2 card in my PC doesn't always come to life, but thats a whole other issue that could bedue to a dozen reasons.

Perhaps I should just keep things simple.

Osage, I need to look up the definition of chipped as well:-)

I think you have given me all the info I need (thank you), so now I just need to decide.