Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Feb 14, 2006, 7:22 PM   #1

I posted a while ago with no response.

I'm looking for a photo printer. Only interested in Canon.

I don't know much about them, so I'll post my needs.

- budget under $200.00 cdn (about 180usd?)

- mainly using for scrapbooking (so archival ink?)..

- would like matt finishes.. is this avail in home printers?

- print up to a 5"x7".. don't really need bigger.. but an 8x10 would be ok if i'm not comprimising image quality to get it

- Don't need scanning capabilities (have 2 already)

- Equiptment size doesn't matter
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2006, 9:33 PM   #2

I have the Canon IP5200R (wireless) and it's rocking!

Great for photos.

I have three computers wirelessly printing to it.

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2006, 9:42 PM   #3

Super short answers.

1. The new Canon chromalife 100 inks are supposed to resist fading better. But then you buy into the new chipped Canons---go ip4200 or 5200--readily available.--but many say the new ink is largely hype---best fade resistance is found with pigmented ink---but then one is talking Epson and all its other problems. And less dynamic and muddier colors.

2. The photopaper is as important as the ink for fading---look for a swellable polamer paper.

3. If consumable costs are important and you print high volume--go to last years models--the ip4000
or 5000--non chipped---can use dirt cheap third party prefilled cartridges the chipped Canons can't and refilling is easier. But now harder to find---try ebay.

4. Fading is mainly caused by direct sunlight--how you store the prints are a huge factor.

5. Get ye to the nifty stuff forums for more details.---find granddad post on fading.
Osage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2006, 10:02 PM   #4

Osage wrote:
Quote:
Super short answers.

1. The new Canon chromalife 100 inks are supposed to resist fading better. But then you buy into the new chipped Canons---go ip4200 or 5200--readily available.--but many say the new ink is largely hype---best fade resistance is found with pigmented ink---but then one is talking Epson and all its other problems. And less dynamic and muddier colors.
Yea, the old ink was rated at 25 years under glass, the new ink was rated at 30 years under glass on pr-101 paper. It's an improvement but not much of one.

I've heard of Lyson inks claiming to be more archival than Canon OEM, but I get that from the box and not from any sort of reality, testing, or experence. I only bring it up as something to look into. It tends to cost as much as OEM, and isn't yet an option for the new printers unless you manually refill.

But yes, if you limit your choice to canon, and under $180 usd, your choice is limited to the ip4200, ip5200, and the ip6600. there are some lesser models which are not so cost effective per page.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote