Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Feb 15, 2006, 8:35 PM   #1

I am new to the forums so hello to everyone. I am a graphic designer and I have a client who want to buy a printer for their new home office. They will be printing alot of 2" round stickers with their logo label on them so we need a printer that handles not only photos but regular graphics printing as well. I don't trust myself in picking a printer anymore as the last one I bought blows. I used to have an old HP Deskjet 920 I think it was, and the printer did wonderful text and graphics. It was especially good with thin lines in graphics and things like that. It even did well on average paper and that was like 8 years ago! Sadly it's history now but anyway... now I have an Epson R300 which does fairly nice photos but graphics are awful. Even if I print on expensive proofing papers it loses thin lines and detail and colors are all wrong.

Bottom line... I need some of you out there who print alot of graphics to point me towards an inkjet that will do great color and crisp clean text and graphics. It would be great if it did Photos as well but it is more important that it do the graphics well. They are in a hurry to figure this out so any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. It's so hard to know what to do from reviews because I find most reviews vague plus... I bought my epson based on a review and look where that got me. I don't mind if you throw out models from a few different brands. Most forums so far have advised me to buy Canon but I just don't know which one is best.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
jjames5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2006, 9:18 PM   #2

I would think the pigmented ink in the Epson R800 would give more durable stickers. None of them are waterproof, but the Epson inks are a little more water resistant. It is hard to find reviews that spend much time on graphics rather than photos, so I have no idea which would give better graphics.

You might take some blank sticker type paper into a good store and ask if you could print them on the Canon iP6600, Canon iP5200 and Epson R800. The 5200 isn't a pure photo printer but might have better graphics output and definitely does better text than the pure photo printers. If you have a pictbridge camera you could probably download a graphic file onto the memory card.

If I had to make a recommendation without seeing the output I would probably go for the iP5200 if there is to be text on the stickers. I've read the graphics output is good but haven't seen examples. Graphics are pretty good on my iP4000, which has the same 5 ink system but uses different ink.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 1:24 AM   #3

Getting out of something I am experienced with.

But I agree---if going with an inkjet---the short list is basically Canon printers be it a ip4000,
ip5000, or worse from an economy standpoint the ip4200 or 5200.

But this also might be a job for a color Laser---many stores will let you compare before you buy and have demo units set up. Color Lasers have really come down in price--not as adept as inkjets at photoprinting---but logo printing is something else.

Part of the problem is having too many choices---how you pare things down determines if you have made the best choices.
Osage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2006, 1:59 PM   #4

If Graphics are involved the Canon series 'might' be the better bet, more so the ones that has two blacks, a pigment tank for Text which is a larger tank and a dye based for photo.

These will let you print a composite document using black ink for text and the others for the graphics.

You'll see user reviews at Steves Digicams, just click the logo above and Photo-i along with Tom's Hardware Guide.

Think I had the same problem when choosing the ip5000, not sure but was pondering and asking in these pages for quite some while - and never looked back since thanks to the folks here, yep certainly spoilt for choice as someone mentioned.

Davy

davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2006, 2:56 AM   #5

Osage wrote:
Quote:

But this also might be a job for a color Laser---many stores will let you compare before you buy and have demo units set up. Color Lasers have really come down in price--not as adept as inkjets at photoprinting---but logo printing is something else.
I agree with Osage, I do not trust the permancy or waterproof qualities of inkjet,either dye or pigment for printing on adhesive labels . and lasers are improving in quality and price very rapidly.not to mention the speed of printing.lasers allow you to use a much wider (and cheaper) range of paper and card.

I have two Epson R210 for photos and CD printing,and an OKI 5450 laser for brochures and labels,I am pleasantly suprised at the good quality of the photo printing of the OKI,it fools a lot of people who are not too critical. I would suggest that you try a laser printer for your requirements.
fperry is offline   Reply With Quote