Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Mar 27, 2003, 3:04 AM   #1

Default Dye sub / Canon i950

Hello-

I know Steve isn't reading this, but I just wanted to say to everyone, this is by far the best site for cameras/printers on the 'net! When I'm researching a product that fits those categories, I always hope Steve has done a review on it.

The other day I bought a Canon i950 to print out my digital photos...some 4x6, most 8.5x11. Now, I see that CompUSA has the DPP-SV55 dye sub printer on sale for $100. I'm beginning to think maybe that's what I should have gotten...but, the only thing that keeps me from seriously considering returning it, is that I can print 8.5x11 on my i950.

Here's the whole story...

First, I'd like to make it clear that I print "stuff" (the occasional web page, or document) rarely, and print photos a few times a week.

Last January (2002) I bought a S500. I was stunned with the quality of its text output...clear, crisp blacks, as well as color. The photos were good too...far better than the old Canon BJC-5000 it was replacing. A relative of mine was looking for a printer a few days ago, and asked me if I had any...I immediately jumped at this (an excuse to upgrade my printer! ), and bought myself the i950, thinking to replace my S500 with it, and to give my S500 to them. But, now that I'm looking at the poor text quality of the i950, I'm beginning to think what I had was better than what I just bought. Then, on top of this, I see a dye sub printer for only $100. I know it can only do 4x6 prints, but still, the quality is supposed to be a lot better than the i950. Also, I've heard that the i950 is expensive per 4x6. And, the i950 doesn't have a bigger black tank, since it wasn't designed as an all purpose printer, so printing text will be more expensive than on my S500.

Now, I'm beginning to think I should keep my S500, i950 and buy the DPP-SV55 :shock: But I really don't want to do that though, as I could barely afford just the i950.

Is the DPP-SV55 that much better than the i950? I know dye sub won't fade, and are waterproof, but those aren't really that big of an issue with me.

This reminds me of a few years ago when Alps printers were at CompUSA...whatever happened to Alps?

Thanks.

TM
Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2003, 3:47 AM   #2

Well when buying cannon photo pro paper the i950 is very expensive. This can be offset however by the use of epson premium glossy paper which can be had at a third of the cost on buy.com

Although if you were to get a dye sub I would reccomend this http://www.hitishop.com./ It does prints for only .40 a 4x6 which makes it the cheapest dye sub printer on the market.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2003, 10:23 AM   #3
Me

If $ is such an issue for you, how about instead of buying a dye sub printer, you just take a CD of photos to Costco or Sams Club and have them printed on real photo paper for about 20 cents per 4x6? Come to think of it, you would have to print a lot of 8x10's on that Canon until you came out ahead there, too (if you EVER came out ahead). Is it too late to return the Canon and get a more general purpose, less expensive printer?
Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2003, 12:42 PM   #4

Costco is great for high volume stuff but to drive all the way there to print one photo kinda kills everything. Some people like being able to wake in the morning throw on a robe make coffee and print stuff without showering combing hair and driving over to costco. Plus when you can bring your cost per page down to 40 cents a sheet it makes things at about the same cost when you add in the gas and time it takes you to get ready.

Although the other side to it is if you do volume like 10+ then its worth it.

The great thing about dye sub printers though is you can leave them sitting there for six months come back and they still work perfect. Inkjets don't have this ability.
Old Mar 27, 2003, 3:46 PM   #5

"Me",

Even though the text quality is quite poor, I don't plan on returning my i950. The truth is, when I really think about it, I don't print photos that terribly much, and I rarely print 4x6's. The thought of having to go "out" to get my digital photos printed is kind of a pain - especially since I don't have a Sam's/Costco membership. If I bought a dye sub printer, it would probably never get used, since I hardly ever print 4x6's.

Out of curiosity, how is the quality of a "lower" Canon printer, like the i850, compared to the i950?

Thanks.

TM
Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2003, 1:27 AM   #6

Quality output seems equal but there is somethign I notice in the prints between the two. The cannon i850 tends to produces digitization while printing where as the cannon i950 doesn't . This is stuff noticed by me printing between the two.

Although according to cannon. There should be no difference in quality between the two printers however there should be a big difference in color gamut(how many colors) produced between the two printers. Due to the fact that the i850 uses 3 colors and the i950 uses 6 colors.
Old Mar 28, 2003, 1:27 AM   #7

Quality output seems equal but there is somethign I notice in the prints between the two. The cannon i850 tends to produces digitization while printing where as the cannon i950 doesn't . This is stuff noticed by me printing between the two.

Although according to cannon. There should be no difference in quality between the two printers however there should be a big difference in color gamut(how many colors) produced between the two printers. Due to the fact that the i850 uses 3 colors and the i950 uses 6 colors.
Old Mar 30, 2003, 7:31 PM   #8

One thing to consider about the comment about Costo/Sam's Club. Wal-Mart's website allows you to upload and order prints, but have them sent to you nearest Wal-Mart, saving you the shipping fees. Then, the next time you are out running errands, you can then pick them up at the photo center.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote