Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Mar 27, 2003, 2:37 PM   #1

Default Need a new inkjet printer that pretty fast

I have used the Canon S9000 in the past where I used to work. But since I don't work there anymore, I need a good inkjet printer.

It is mostly for doing forms and brochure style flyers. Normally not high gloss flyers though.

So I want an inkjet printer that prints fast 15ppm would be nice, is 8.5x11 edge to edge and has individual color cartridges.

Thanks for any advice
cgchris99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2003, 1:44 AM   #2

Well if your printing needs only accomandate printing flyers and brochures I really would reccomend getting a laser printer. The cost per page would be far lower than just about any inkjet printer and you still get seperate ink tanks. The only thing you may not get would be the edge to edge part but I see no reason to print to the edge of a brochure anyways since it would look unprofessional.

Although I think the cheapest method of doing what you want to do would be to look for and older printer under the model number of the epson 980 you can buy continous ink systems for these printers that put your cost per page on ink at around 5 cents a sheet while at the same time producing a professional brochure at high speed.

Although there is the cannon i850 that will produce edge to edge results kinda like what you are looking for. The only problem with probably be ink costs since it would be far higher than the two I listed above.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2003, 7:58 AM   #3

I guess I should have specified that I need color printing.
This rules out the laser and color laser is too expensive.

How fast is the epson 980 compared to the i850 or i950.

And how can I calc the cost of running the 980, i850, & i950?

Thanks
cgchris99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2003, 12:00 PM   #4

Well you can get a color laser for around 799 but the epson 980 will run you about half that after buying a continuous ink system for it.

here is a link for it.

http://www.inkjetart.com/cis/

Say If you go all out and spend the money for say an epson 1280 which is a wide format photo printer. I have a friend that did 100 8x10 photo prints and only used 30 percent of his 48 dollars in ink.

Compare that to a cannon i850 or the i950 which would require all new ink tanks at 50-70 8x10s. At a cost of 33 and 70 dollars respectivly.

In the long run the 980 will pay for itself with the higher price.

The 980 is probably one of the fastest epson printers made. It will compare to the cannon speedwise on the lower qualities which sounds like you will be mostly doing anyways since you are only doing brochures.

But on the higher quality levels the 980 takes about 3min to do a 4x6 where a cannon does it in 1min

The biggest problem is your ink costs are very different. The cannon will print faster but it wont print cheaper. I have not found a continuous ink system for the cannon yet like I have for the epson printers.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote