Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Feb 22, 2006, 11:42 PM   #1

I am a graphic designer and i need a wide format printer ( 11x17 - 13x19). I really cant seem to find a good article or site that goes in depth about using inkjets for graphic design. I guess inkjets are geared more towards photo printing. I would get a laser, but the price of a large format color printer is out of my range.

I have narrowed it down to the Canon i9900 and the Epson R1800. I was initially ready to buy the i9900 but I have read that it has fading issues. So I looked into the R1800 which uses the Gloss Optimizer and I don't know if i will have a need for it since I will not be printing that many photos (yet). What i liked about the i9900 was that its fast and it also as the extra Green cartridge, but as i said earlier, it seems to have a fading problem and limited paper choices.

I don't know which one I would be better off with. My work has both solid colors and photographs, and also text. I woudl really appreciate any advice that you can give me.

Thanks a lot.

BTW, is there a large format printer that supports postrscipt? thanks again.
ASimmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2006, 12:50 AM   #2

If you might have need for printing anything wider than 24 inches you couldn't use the Canon as it is limited to that. The Epson will go to 40 inches I believe.

If you are producing prints commercially I would want the pigmented ink from the 1800. Canon prints will fade in indirect sunlight even under glass. You might be able to find special UV glass that would let them be displayed where bright indirect sunlight hits them and last a little longer.

Canon has some new inks that are supposed to be more fade resistant, although they are still dye based. But the i9900 uses the old ink. It is about to be replaced and I would wait if you like the Canon better. For what it is worth they aren't listing the i9900 on their products page anymore – at least I couldn't find it. That might be a hint it is about to be replaced with a wide format printer with the new inks. http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...categoryid=103

I have no idea which is better for graphics.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote