Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Feb 26, 2006, 6:51 PM   #1

I just bought a Canon Pixma IP3000 although I already own an Epson R200 - mainly because I love canon printers and this one was on clearance. I converted it to print on CD's using the information from this forum and all went pretty well. Thanks.

I've searched, but I can't find the answer to my question. It's probably out there though, so please don't flame me. How can I make the printer print higher quality on the discs? I'm using the "recommended discs" and adjusting as high as it will go, but the quality isn't nearly as good and crisp as on my epson. I feel like if I could adjust it to print as though it was printing on "photo paper pro" the quality would probably be much better.

There must be some way to change the regedit information so that when I set the paper type as CD it's actually printing photo paper pro quality. But I don't think it's wise for someone like me to play around adjusting those things.

I realize that this probably isn't the best idea, and I'll probably get lectured about it. but if anyone has the information, I'd really like to try it out.

Thanks
Bone Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2006, 4:21 AM   #2

Quote:
I'm using the "recommended discs" and adjusting as high as it will go, but the quality isn't nearly as good and crisp as on my epson. I feel like if I could adjust it to print as though it was printing on "photo paper pro" the quality would probably be much better.
What are you adjusting as high as it will go ?

What Label software are you using ?

Are you familiar with the "Intensity" control in the Preferences Pane.

In my experience most inkjet printable discs can give a "flat" result with a Canon, the Epson`s (some) have been known to present the opposite effect.....

No registry modifications should be/need be attempted in my opinion, there are other controls in the Preferences Pane that can also be uitilised, Light , Normal, Dark,Quality.......once you have a satisfactory combination save as a Profile.....
headphonesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 4:40 AM   #3

Try this....:idea:

http://fiveeasysteps.proboards2.com/...ead=1129972667

KnightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 8:39 AM   #4

Nice Link , Knightcrawler !

A picture is worth a thousand words, I have copied all those settings and saved them as profile "Knightcrawler" in your honour.

I had forgotten about the Vivid Photo option !

thanks Headphonesman

headphonesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2006, 7:53 PM   #5

thanks knightcrawler. I've tried that, as well as any other setting i can find, and although it makes the colors look better, the image still doesn't look very crisp. I'm not sure how else to describe it - it just seems a little blurry compared to the epson print.

It does great with light colored discs, but poor with dark colored discs.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 9:44 PM   #6

I noticed that in your first post you say you use "reconmended discs" what make are they??
in your latest post you say the print is ok on the light coloured discs and poor on the dark discs.

I have only ever printed on Ink jet printable white or silver, are you sure that you are not printing on printables that are for other forms of printing,such as screening. check that you are using INKJET printables.
fperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 9:58 PM   #7

fperry wrote:
Quote:
I noticed that in your first post you say you use "reconmended discs" whatÂ* make are they??
in your latest post you say the print is ok on the light coloured discs and poor on the dark discs.

I have only ever printed on Ink jet printable white or silver, are you sure that you are not printing on printables that are for other forms of printing,such as screening. check that you are using INKJET printables.
I see your confusion. "Recommended Discs" is just a setting on the printer to print in higher quality than "other discs." I use White Taiyo Yuden or Silver Prodisc or White Prodisc. They are inkjet printable, and I've used them for many months on my epson with great results.

When I say dark or light, I mean the color that I'm printing on them. As an extreme example, if I print some black text on the white disc, it looks great. But if I print the disc black leaving only the white text, it will not look very sharp. (assuming the text is very small).

That's an extreme example just to explain my point. The actual disc labels have many colors and images. But in general, the lighter ones look better than the darker ones when printed.

I hope I didn't confuse anyone.
Old Mar 5, 2006, 3:10 PM   #8

I thought it was comon knowledge that ritek discs have the best printable serface taoyo's have the best data surface.
On ritek cdrs prints look fantastic but on most other brands they can pale in comparison.

But i cant recomend ritek dvd media as it is bassically crap
ChilledoutUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 6:32 PM   #9

ChilledoutUK wrote:
Quote:
I thought it was comon knowledge that ritek discs have the best printable serface taoyo's have the best data surface.
On ritek cdrs prints look fantastic but on most other brands they can pale in comparison.

But i cant recomend ritek dvd media as it is bassically crap
I seem to remember that in contrast to TDK ritek wasn't as good... i'm talking those Costco non-hub printable ones. Prodisc 16x silvers (ProdiscF2) look great as well though sometimes there is an issue with the printer thinking they are mini-disc size and only printing on 3 inches.... an issue that seems to be avoided by using Acoustica IIRC. There is a silver sensor under the disc and the silver disc must confuse the printer.
zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote