Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Mar 7, 2006, 11:07 AM   #1

Hey,

Just found this forum. I need some advice on buying a printer that will print on CD/DVDs. I saw that Staples has the Epson R320 on sale right now, but I also read some reviews that it is slow for printing and after about 75 CDs, the tray stops functioning well.

I am ignorant about other options and would appreciate anyone's real world experience and opinions on what other printers there are.

I am in the U.S.

Thanks

M@

mgoodnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2006, 12:05 PM   #2

Hello,

I have the R200 and love it. I use it mainly for printing cd/dvds as i use my laser for text and webpages and stuff. I print photos rarely but am happy with the quality. Its not fast for the photos, but if I have more than 5 its cheaper to get them done at snapfish or whatever.

The tray did stop feeding well after a while, and All I had to do was give it a little nudge in, then it would work fine. Basically the feeder wheels lose their grip from dirt, or whatever. I little clean with alcohol fixed the issue temporarily. I then just took some sandpaper and scuffed the bottom of the feeding tray so it was a little ruff and all works flawless now for over 500 cd's. It was a great deal for 100 bucks when I bought it, and wouldnt hesitate to get another. I would skip the lcd screen version just because I would never print a picture without having looked at it on my computer, so whats the use.....
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2006, 2:17 PM   #3

I have Two R200s-- agree with everthing VAtechtigger says. Treat the CD holder with care,ensure the clear front edge is not bent,straighens with the fingers. remember the CD holder goes a long way out the back of the printer,
fperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2006, 5:35 PM   #4

I have the R310 -- it has the tray problems of the R200, as will the 320.

It's not insurmountable -- as others have said, it's the initial movement that's the problem, once the main drive picks up the tray it's fine.

I also just give it a little nudge at the start of a print, & clean it occasionally with alcohol.

The print quality on CD's is excellent -- usually better than commercial offerings, and it's a fine photo printer as well.

Epson did change the tray slightly during the production run, but I don't know if it fixed the fault.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2006, 8:01 PM   #5

mgoodnight wrote:
Quote:
Hey,

Just found this forum. I need some advice on buying a printer that will print on CD/DVDs. I saw that Staples has the Epson R320 on sale right now, but I also read some reviews that it is slow for printing and after about 75 CDs, the tray stops functioning well.

I am ignorant about other options and would appreciate anyone's real world experience and opinions on what other printers there are.

I had the r200. It was great when it worked, but it failed after a few months of use. I bought a canon ip3000 and hacked a tray from my old epson and never looked back. While I believe photo quality is superior on the r200, ink looks good on most media, and small white text is much more clear, and as a bonus I can get away with printing 14 point type on non printable disks so long as I can deal with the month or so dry time, I have to say the Canon has NOT skipped a beat... well my mp760 did but it at least didn't overflow with ink.

For ease of refilling, reliable operation, and space considerations... i'd lean tward canon and ordering a tray on e-bay. For text or general purpose printer i'd lean tward the current models ip4200 or ip4200. For out right photo quality i'd lean tward epson.
zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote