Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Mar 10, 2006, 12:43 AM   #1

Hello Fellas, well, this is my story… I started out using a ribbon thermal printer long time ago, and the thing did good presentable work, it took forever, was a pain in the ass… and well it was water Prof. Not scratch Prof.! So i did some browsing, got to buy a EZCd printer, it surprised me to see an epson C60 with a bunch of adaptors printing on cds! It was something until problems CAME! The dam thing was not designed for that purpose, the company adapted some plastic components here and there, and made it work… but the thing was insane, generic ink was cheap so could get away with tons of cds, one by one…. Took for ever…I bought a few epson R200 and R220's and they are fast nice and have no complaints, I can replace just the color needed, I use generic ink… no problem cheap as $2.88 per cartridge, so I have been spraying my cds with enamel clear coat and it worked great! (100 cds per can) But only on silver cds… when i tried it on white surface ink jet cds! I could see all kinds of imperfections, and discovered that…it wasn't 100% water Prof….eventually water brakes in… Then i tried Krylon but… it turns out to be not a 100% clear… it is kina of amber…then I tried Polyurethane clear coat spray expensive as hell… and it happened to take for ever to dry! All of this was bearable with… I did almost 20k cds for different purposes this way, and even got a bit high out of fumes from solvents on the spray cans!! bad head each after! But one day I tried it on DVDs and whoa looked great!! But they got erased! I believe that the solvent on those cans affects the media layer of DVDs and never have been able to make it work…It makes shiny glossy beautiful glossy printed cds that can't be read! Then I have decided to look for a machine that could somehow laminate or place hot clear plastic on the inkjet printed surface…but…all I find is overpriced! And only by Primera printer company that I no longer trust it is worth what it costs those machines are garbage bad investment, hard to repair, cost of printing is higher than using Epson's on generic ink. I looked in to the option of water based clear coats but they all make the printed cds blurry and make the ink jet smudge and run. I ran out of Ideas…

If anyone knows about a machine that can do this process and can recommend it… I'll be happy to hear suggestions!
Xtian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2006, 3:56 AM   #2

Xtian wrote:
Quote:
I looked in to the option of water based clear coats but they all make the printed cds blurry and make the ink jet smudge and run. I ran out of Ideas…

If anyone knows about a machine that can do this process and can recommend it… I'll be happy to hear suggestions!
My issue with water based spray thus far hasn't been that it corrupts data but rather, at least the brand I picked orange peals like sin, though TDK and Canon ink the bluring isn't bad at all.

In theory the pigment r800/r1800 offers a clear coat cartridge. There are aftermarket gloss optimizers but the cost on a good day is about $12 per two ounces. I imagine one *could* buy this somewhat spendy stuff, fill another r200 with refillable tanks, and print away, though I don't know how well the gloss optimizer would work in an r200 or in conjunction with dye based inks.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 1:55 PM   #3

From what i understand the r800 arent waterproof on cd because of the coating and also someone told me the option to use the gloss coating on thecd/dvd is grey out so you cant use it. I just brought dvd from primera.com store imation make a waterproof dvd called aquaguard. I brought some and they work like a charm they are 45.00(not including shipping) for 45 of them. you can try that media along with using the microweave setting on the epson
phillyman is offline   Reply With Quote