Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Aug 17, 2006, 3:43 AM   #121

davidw89 wrote:
Quote:
Does anyone have a slight hint when the ip 4200 chip resetter will be released? Is it a program or a chip you have to manually install?
No one has a slight hint when this will happen. There is no indication as to what form such a product would take. Epson for example has manual chip resetters which you attach to your cartridge, as well as 3rd party chips which either reset them selves at a certain number or reset if powered off. Older epsons could be reset via commands issued by software. It may be possible that a hacked rom upgrade could resolve the issue but canon does not offer a rom upgrade for their printers.

The only thing known for sure is there presently isn't a solution.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 5:13 AM   #122

Do you knwo whos making them i wouldnt mind helping out/beta testing.
davidw89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 6:49 AM   #123

davidw89 wrote:
Quote:
Do you knwo whos making them i wouldnt mind helping out/beta testing.
There presently isn't a solution. If someone actually has a working prototype they are keeping it under wraps.

I understand where you are comming from... what you are looking for, at present, does not exist.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 9:43 AM   #124

Iam starting to think that no one is actually taking this project of chip resetter..and if they did succeed how would Canon counter it?
Old Aug 17, 2006, 10:29 AM   #125

davidw89 wrote:
Quote:
Iam starting to think that no one is actually taking this project of chip resetter..and if they did succeed how would Canon counter it?
LOL

Trust me there are quite a few companies and individuals trying very hard to try and find a "solution" to the Canon chip problem but a few things you should realise.

1. These chips are 2 generations more advanced than the original Epson chips.

2. The technology involved has been specifically developed to make it both
a) very difficult to duplicate (small size, very fast clock speed, etc..)
b) very difficult to crack (ie: encryption of the data between the chip and printer is very high!)

Add to that the simple fact that all of this will be patented and you have a very difficult problem to crack. So, the key here is patience.. It's also worth noting that really what Canon have done is close the door on 3rd party cartridge manufacturers... Refilling is still possible, CIS's can still be created (and are being) that will work... What nobody can do is get around the "warranty" message and in fairness I don't think that's such an unfair thing...

it could have been a whole lot worse!
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 2:16 AM   #126

This should be illegal. What they're doing is monpolistic practice, by effectively locking out inkjet refill companies/compatiables. This is unfair to the consumer as well as the 'competition'. Any legal stuff related to this?

If the chips were 2nd generation why dont we get one of those guys who made the chips to personally crack em ($$ involved)
Old Aug 18, 2006, 3:30 AM   #127

websnail wrote:
Quote:
it could have been a whole lot worse!
I quite agree, but I am now more interestedin what Canon are going to do with the next generation of their printers . They have the following options open to them , in my opinion :-

1. Revert back to the unchipped cart no restriction on compatables, or re-fill

2. Maintain the status quo, chipped carts , refill possible but with restrictions ,nounchipped compats.

3. Keep carts chipped but now with no refill or compat capabilities, i.e. Genuine Canon Chipped carts only, no 3rd party in any shape or form.

4. Drop the price of their carts (chipped or unchipped) to be comparable with 3rd party ink providers.

I think 1and 4 are extremely unlikely. I would be happy for it to be 2, (but then I have learned how to refill (or CIS) on a regular basis), I suggest others do the same.

If they take option 3, ............bye- bye Canon Printers ! (pun not intended)

I said I am only "interested " in their future actions not "concerned". because of their Chipped carts action I have , (and I`m sure many others), now have sufficient spare equipment in place to prolong the life of my 5200 and 4200 printers, using3rd party ink ,......its likely I will not need to buy another printer from any Manufacturer , for some considerable time.

In the short term Canon made an awful lot of money on their ink with this generation of chipped printers........in the long term they willhave lost a lot of future custom, for ink and machines.
headphonesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 11:28 AM   #128

I realise that this news item refers to Epson and not Canon, but the outlookMAY notbe good for compatible sellers.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/91636/up...-reseller.html
jimmypriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2006, 2:40 AM   #129

Apologies if this has been posted already but stumbled accross this info on another forum.

If you can reset the printer's eeprom would this circumnavigate the warning system & allow you to refill/use comaptibles?

----------------

Refilling can be done with no warnings. It will be need to reset IP4200's EEPROM. Please read carefully the indications below. Do that only if you know what are doing!!!-

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) With the printer power turned off, while pressing the Resume/Cancel button, press and hold the Power button. (DO NOT release the buttons. The Power LED lights in green to indicate that a function is selectable.)

2) While holding the Power button, release the resume/Cancel button. (DO NOT release the Power button.)

3) While holding the Power button, press the Resume/Cancel button 2 times, and then release both the Power and Resume/Cancel buttons. (Each time the Resume/Cancel button is pressed, the Alarm and Power LEDs light alternately, Alarm in orange and Power in green, starting with Alarm LED.)

4) When the Power LED lights in green, press the Resume/Cancel button the specified number of time(s) setting)

.----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Time(s) LED indication Function Remarks times Green (Power) Power off When the print head is not installed, the carriage returns and locks inthe home position capped.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 time Orange (Alarm) Service test print .

2 times Green (Power) EEPROM information print

3 times Orange (Alarm) EEPROM initialization

4 times Green (Power) Waste ink counter resetting

5 times Orange (Alarm) Destination settings After entering the destination settings mode, press the Resume/Cancel button the specified number of time(s) to select the destination. For detail, see"Destination settings procedures" below.

6 times Green (Power) Print head deep cleaning (Cleaning of both black and color)

7 times Orange (Alarm) Reserved

8 times Green (Power) CD / DVD check pattern

9 times Orange (Alarm) CD / DVD print position correction (horizontal direction)

10 times Green (Power) CD / DVD print position correction (vertical: Y direction)

11 to 13 times Orange, Green, Orange (Alarm, Power,Alarm) Return to the menu selection

14 times Green (Power) Left margin correction Not used in servicing.

15 times Orange (Alarm) Return to the menu selection

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Time(s) LED indication Destination CD / DVD print

0 times Green (Power) No change of the destination

1 time Orange (Alarm) Japan Supported

2 times Green (Power) Korea Not supported

3 times Orange (Alarm) US Not supported

4 times Green (Power) Europe Supported

5 times Orange (Alarm) Australia Supported

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To turn off printer (getting out of service mode), push Resume/Cancel button - 15 times Orange (Alarm) Return to the menu selection and the Power Off button.

jrpclive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2006, 3:06 AM   #130

Is this a way to bypass the chip by refilling and reset the ink level?

What is printer's eeprom