Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Aug 20, 2006, 2:39 AM   #131

Dear all,
This topic is very usefull, I'm succesfully refill my cartridge (my printer pixma ix5000) after reading this thread, but someday waste ink pad will be full and have to be send to canon service center. Anybody modified the ink pad that have been did in epson printer, here is the link:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...95&forum_id=40

hope someone will share, and sorry for my english.

erwin
erwinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 5:24 AM   #132

erwinova wrote:
Quote:
Dear all,
This topic is very usefull, I'm succesfully refill my cartridge (my printer pixma ix5000) after reading this thread, but someday waste ink pad will be full and have to be send to canon service center. Anybody modified the ink pad that have been did in epson printer, here is the link:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=51595&forum_id=40

hope someone will share, and sorry for my english.

erwin
Not sure what your language is... otherwise i'd throw in words like "la bomba" "das pumpe".

Anyhow your english is fine... I don't know the ix5000 well enough to say, I have never met the ix5000. But I know the epson r200 use a pump, and I doubt the ix5000 has a pump. Near as i'm aware the ix5000 is like other canons, a termal bubble jet. When water turns to steam it creates much force. Epsons are not thermal but piezo, to clean the heads you need a pump, and it's this pump that make an external inktank possible. Without this pump, there is not enough force to remove clogs.

If you are a german speaker, check with the folks at http://www.druckerchannel.de/ . Good site to find service manuals, usually German.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 6:53 AM   #133

eeprom:

electrically erasable programmable read only memory

It is a small memory chip that can be electrically written to once. Then can be read many times. To change the data it can be erased electrically but which in computer terms means it takes a long time to erase. It is static memory which does not require power to retain its data. Dynamic memory requires refreshing periodically to retain memory, computer core memory. Turn off power to your computer and all data is lost in core memory. Thus the need for hard disks etc.

StanStan
stnkline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 3:16 AM   #134

jrpclive wrote:
Quote:
.If you can reset the printer's eeprom would this circumnavigate the warning system & allow you to refill/use comaptibles?.

Still want to know if anyone out there has tried a chipped cart that "thinks" it's empty in a different printer? Did it show as empty or not :?:?:?:?:?
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 12:52 PM   #135

speedy wrote :-
Quote:
Still want to know if anyone out there has tried a chipped cart that "thinks" it's empty in a different printer? Did it show as empty or not
The "different" printer will interrogate the chip on the cart and find that its been previously marked as "empty" ....It will then go through the normal set procedureand start warnings and eventual acceptance of the cart but with the usual restrictions.

Putting a proper new cart in will instantly give almost everything back, (it will still have your warranty transgression in the memory !).

The Printer can only tell the chip nozzle firings achieved at each printing and then look at the amount of firingsthen remaining. It cannot reset the chip to "now full". I suspect even Canon cannot do that. Each carts chip has a one way journey..... towards empty via a countdown procedure .....being run by the printer, which is as it should be. You cannot stop the printer talking to the chip, its part of the program. It will only stop talking to the chip after it has seen that the chip has become "empty"

I have tried swopping carts around ,new for old , old for new, with no success, the printer can see the correct status of the cart from the chip everytime, regardless of whetherthe machine is switched on or not when the swop takes place. The chip is invincible. The printer has to see a cart with a chip on it even if it is an "empty", or it wont print at all.
headphonesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 4:17 AM   #136

headphonesman wrote:
Quote:
The "different" printer will interrogate the chip on the cart and find that its been previously marked as "empty" ....
...so any talk of re-setting EPROMS is a lost cause!
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 10:45 PM   #137

Thanks for all the research. What a racket.

I got a Canon MP500 in April. It has been telling me to buy new cartridges for over a month, but printed ok until a few days ago. That is 4 months of light duty, maybe 50-75 pages per month.

I'm not going to shell out $210+/yr on ink. This printer will soon be in the trash heap.
joebobbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 6:46 AM   #138

joebobbill wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for all the research. What a racket.

I got a Canon MP500 in April. It has been telling me to buy new cartridges for over a month, but printed ok until a few days ago. That is 4 months of light duty, maybe 50-75 pages per month.

I'm not going to shell out $210+/yr on ink. This printer will soon be in the trash heap.
Can I just clarify a few things about what's happened at your end.

- Is this the same set of carts you bought with the machine?
- Have you been seeing the "low ink" warning?
- Did you ever try refilling the cartridges?

If the answer to that last one is NO then I'd highly recommend you get a refill kit and go that route instead of paying out for OEM carts... You would really be getting ripped off, as you guessed, otherwise.

People are suggesting MIS or Hobbicolors as possibles but look around.

As to the overall shelf life of the cartridges, I did some checking back for laikanuki's posts and found that there may be some kind of time limit for the new Canon chips of around 6 months.

Recent post noting carts refusing to print now:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...584737#p584737

Original post (March 20th) indicating a successful CIS kit install around that time.
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...489713#p489713

... but I guessed before on what was happening and got it wrong so who knows
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 5:21 PM   #139

we
Quote:
Can I just clarify a few things about what's happened at your end.

- Is this the same set of carts you bought with the machine?
- Have you been seeing the "low ink" warning?
- Did you ever try refilling the cartridges?
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, this is the same set that came with the printer.
Yes, we have been getting the low ink message. At this point, we are being told that yellow has run out and the rest are 'running low' (Black, Magenta, Cyan). The only tank that isn't reported as low is the small black tank.

No, we have never tried a refill.

Based on what I've read, the 'yellow' tank won't work again, even if filled. The other tanks may work for a while, but not as long as a new tank which gets topped off periodically.

I used to refill my Epson cartridges (don't remember the model), but never particularly enjoyed the process.
joebobbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 11:17 AM   #140

Canon can not void your warranty by use of a third party ink unless they can prove the third party ink caused the failure. In 1975 Congress passed a warranty law called the Magnuson-Moss Act.

Check out http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/...s/warranty.htm

"Tie-In Sales" Provisions
Generally, tie-in sales provisions are not allowed. Such a provision would require a purchaser of the warranted product to buy an item or service from a particular company to use with the warranted product in order to be eligible to receive a remedy under the warranty. The following are examples of prohibited tie-in sales provisions.

In order to keep your new Plenum Brand Vacuum Cleaner warranty in effect, you must use genuine Plenum Brand Filter Bags. Failure to have scheduled maintenance performed, at your expense, by the Great American Maintenance Company, Inc., voids this warranty.

And http://www.knfilters.com/warrantyletter.htm which says that if they require a particular consumable to protect your warranty, they must provide it free of charge.

Under this federal statute, a manufacturer, who issues a warranty on your motor vehicle, is prohibited from requiring you to use a particular brand of air filter, oil filter, or other service or maintenance item, unless such item is provided, free of charge, under your warranty or unless the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) waives this prohibition against the manufacturer.

Now get out there and start fighting.

TagueTech is offline   Reply With Quote