Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Aug 31, 2006, 6:19 PM   #141

hmmm... seems the CHIP died, / disabled/ become unusable after using the it for a certain period of time/ or a certain number of nozzle firings.... so we better start looking for a replacement chip... its theCHIP that we need to replace .. not the ink nor the cartridge... some epson compatible cartridge manufacturer did it on epsons cartridge... why not a COMPATIBLE CANON CHIP... that can be use perpetually.. without limitations....where can we find it.
benl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 5:12 AM   #142

benl wrote:
Quote:
hmmm... seems the CHIP died, / disabled/ become unusable after using the it for a certain period of time/ or a certain number of nozzle firings.... so we better start looking for a replacement chip... its theCHIP that we need to replace .. not the ink nor the cartridge... some epson compatible cartridge manufacturer did it on epsons cartridge... why not a COMPATIBLE CANON CHIP... that can be use perpetually.. without limitations....where can we find it.
I suggest you re-read the entire thread properly.. The question has been answered a dozen times and it's pointless wasting time repeating what's already been noted.

No such chip exists at present and there's a slew of reasons why...
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 11:52 PM   #143

I have been keeping my eye on this thread for quite a while now and it seems that a lot of people are continually asking can they refill, what happens when they do etc etc.
Well I have refilled the carts in my 5200i about 5 times now and never had a problem. Yes the printer no longer monitors ink usage but when something prints and is missing a colour then I know what is going on!

Just a thought, I have only a simplistic understanding of how the carts chip responds to an encrypted handshake with the printer in order to prevent unauthorized cart use, but has anyone tried masking off the write contacts on the cart to prevent and empty cart flag being written to it? I just wonder if the cart could then be used in a different printer if this was effective....

Or may be I am just being hopeful/talking crap.

Finally for those people who don't want to refill carts I have used with success third party ones that require a "chip transplant" to activate. One of my friends (ip4200r) successfully attached the chip TO the printer so he simply clicks the third party carts in and out - obviously there is no ink monitoring but it is far easier (and less error/mess prone) than refilling.

btw I still don't understand something : how on earth does canon get away with preventing the use of a feature we pay for (ink monitoring) if we don't use their cartridges? It is like buying a BMW then being told if BMW don't service it the low oil pressure warning light will never come on - I mean if the engine blows up (or in this case the printer head overheats) BMW would claim that it was a result of not servicing it with them and failing to act on a warning light (that was disabled), not a fault with the engine failing to pump oil around! I have already written to Canon Australia pointing this out and guess what? I never got a response (to a letter, not an email so it wasn't spam canned).

....70ml of ink (5 cars) = $120. 70gm of silver = $71.90, 70gm of Saffron = $88.90. Justify that for me Canon, please?!

babbelSchmitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 8:47 AM   #144

babbelSchmitt:

Youraise valid issues. As I remember, people have tried your masking tape suggestion and it didn't work. I think the printer wouldn't work until you removed the masking tape.

A small number of people report that their printers stopped functioning (refused to print) after a period of time using refilled OEM cartridges. It is unclear if this behavior is due to a firmware revision by Canon, if it will happen to all Canon chipped printer's or even if this behavior was peculiar to those specific printers and caused by some other events they triggered. For now, the gestalt is that Canon's chipped printers may only allow a limited period of use to refilled catridges and then you must use new OEM cartridges to get your printer working again.

I would like to know more about your friend's printer with the "attached" chips. What do you mean? I am aware of transplanting OEM chips to different cartridges but have not heard before about chips attached directly to the printer.

Lastly, I agree that Canon's behaviour seems to fly close to violating Magnuson-Moss Act "Tie-In Sales" Provisions. It's one thing to warn against using 3rd party cartridges, and invalidating a warranty on certain components directly related to3rd partycartridge/ink use (ie the printhead) seems perjorative and possibly a violation of law, but it's a whole other ball of wax to completely disable the printer's functioning if 3rd party cartridges or refilled OEMcartridges are used. This would be akin to buying aCD playerand only being able to play the CD's of Sony recording artists on the player.

Stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 10:50 AM   #145

To Babbelschmitt:

my guess-I am not a lawyer- is that the BMW argument is completely correct. If they turn off a feature and the result is a printer that fails because of it, they would be liable. I suspect that is why you have received no answer to your inquiry.

I think that if challenged with a class action suit, Canon will be paying out millions of dollars for their actions.

SLK
ashel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 5:46 PM   #146

Have just discovered this "Gotcha" with printers.
My answer is to give the story to the Newspapers, it is the only way of making these ratbag manufacturers wake up.
How Dare they!:evil:
Inksave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2006, 1:22 PM   #147

ashel wrote:
Quote:
To Babbelschmitt:

my guess-I am not a lawyer- is that the BMW argument is completely correct. If they turn off a feature and the result is a printer that fails because of it, they would be liable. I suspect that is why you have received no answer to your inquiry.

I think that if challenged with a class action suit, Canon will be paying out millions of dollars for their actions.

SLK

This is a little off-subj but for those of you not aware of it, Staples was giving a $3 discount coupon on any tank purchase for ANY empty tank brought in. Just went in a few days ago and they are now accepting ONLY empty HP, Lexmark, & Epson I believe for the $3 discount coupon. I think they are taking a cue from the film & mucic people to put the pressure on all third party ink sources to keep their hand in our wallet. You can be sure the game will continue if they are not stopped in court.
vandyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2006, 5:43 PM   #148

Ive been following this subject since unknowingly buying an IP 4200 and thinking I could happily refill cartridges to my heart's content. I have been refilling and ignoring the warnings for about a month but now i'm getting 15 flashes, "The Inktank cannot be recognised" error and I cant print. I've swapped cartridges but it made no difference. Any suggestions?
Ken.
golddigger159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2006, 7:33 PM   #149

just found this ad on ebay, can it really be true, a chip resetter for the ip4200/ip5200 or is it just another set of instructions on how to turn off the ink monitors ?????

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...%3AIT&rd=1

i've asked for pics of this resetter but the seller says its in the box
no1baggiesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2006, 7:56 AM   #150

I just have one question, Why is everything else shown, but not the resetter? :?when ever thing else is there? Just my observation.....If they have one.... great.

geand

GeanD is offline   Reply With Quote