Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Nov 11, 2006, 11:11 PM   #171

Real or BS?

Anyhoo... used Babel Fish to translate the relevant links. Sounds like you buy their "Geha Tuning Kit" which contains a complete set of catridges and a "free" adapter. The adapter first is inserted into the printer, then the cartridges are inserted into the adapter. The adapter contains an OEM Canon chip so ink levels continue to be monitored. There ismention of a postage free bag to send Geha your OEM Canon cartridges suchthat you will receive a "one to one replacement" cartridge. Maybe they want the chips more than anything in order to make a new "free adapter". Are the Geha cartridges are refillable or must you buy only from Geha to "save" money on ink? Time will tell if the Geha adapter and OEM Canon chip combination will forever circumvent an "empty" signal to the printer while maintaining the ink utility functions and print prettily without leaving puddles of ink from the adapter-thingamajiggy.

Link from Tanzgeist - http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/80889:

The company Geha wants to offer starting from December a Tuning set for current Pixma printers of Canon. The spare cartridges come together with an adapter, which communicates with printer electronics. The adapter, into which one must put the Geha cartridges, uses an original chip of Canon. This guarantees that the ink level announcement of the Pixma devices continues to function. So far the verdongelten ink cartridges for printers from the Pixma row leave themselves to refill, but cartouches empty the level announcement that before criticized afterwards further "tank empty". By the fact the danger exists that the cartridge dries up or the print head is destroyed, if users do not notice the too small level in time. Because transferred to the spare cartridges succeeds only if all ink tanks in the printer come from Geha, the ink offerer exchanges individual original cartridges. Thereby the German hardcopy AG (Geha) arrives besides into the possession of the CAN on original chips. With the alternative cartridges one is to be able to save well 20 per cent of the ink costs. Only once the necessary Tuning-Kit-CT01 with adapter and five cartridges is 45 euro to cost, the Fuenferset without adapter 40 euro and an individual Geha cartridge 10 euro
Fromhttp://www.german-hardcopy.de/news#newsID_210

Many months fiddled engineers, in order to offer an alternative to the chip-protected cartridges of the Canon-CLi-5 and/or 8-Serie. But also this task was solved with Bravour. The result are not only compatible products, but equal a whole compatible concept: the Geha Tuning kit! How does it function? The customer, who wants to transfer to compatible ink and thus a quantity wants to save money when printing (30 - 40 %), buys first the Geha Tuning kit. Hereby it receives a complete cartridge set for its printer as well as a free adapter. These one in-clicks within seconds simply into the printer. Then the Geha cartridges as used into the adapter are clicked. In a back transmission bag free of postage the OEM cartridges can be returned to the German hardcopy AG. We carry immediately 1 out to 1 replacement: for each sent in OEM cartridge we send back a full adequate Geha cartridge to the sender. If the customer acquired once an adapter, this can remain in the printer. No further exchange is more necessary. Only the ink cartridges must be bought in addition. And it - as used - gives in the single luggage or in the bonus luggage. Thus one saves cartridges to even with a sentence up to 40% to the CAN on original product! That cannot! The Geha solution is the ingenious solution and limits the function of the printer in keinster way. In the opposite: with the Geha Tuning kits remain all functions full such as ink condition announcement etc. of the printer! In the printer or in the printer often commodity do not have to be changed attitudes. Everything remains like it is. The Geha solution is a finished High Tech solution. Is not necessary tinkering or changes of chips. And the most beautiful: the more one prints, the more saves one also. We wish much fun with the Abverkauf. Our field service will enter starting from in the middle of November into the active sales. Beside the products it will give many Abverkaufshilfen and action displays. The distribution begins at 01 December in time for the yearly final business
Stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 12:56 AM   #172

Hi guys, I actually run a company who have designed and distribute CISS systems for the IP4200/IP5200/IP4300 and IP5300 printers. Basically we cover all of the new Canon models. I've looked at the forum and can dispel some of the rumors about the Canon cartridges. Once reset the cartridges work fine. We have fully tested them and have uncovered some interesting issues that can interfere with the chips, especially if putting them on third party cartridges. The biggest issues we have established are to do with the signal from the LED on the back of the chip. If this LED light incurs any interference i.e. the LED is covered by double sided tape or the cartridge LED channel is dirty or even if the cover is open when testing, the printer will throw an error. These error messages range from 6502 to indicating the printer has two or more of a certain cartridge installed. If you are unclear as to how to fit the chips etc feel free to visit our website www.rihac.com.au and take a look at our instruction manuals which have a section on chip replacement etc. Also if anyone has any questions you are welcome to email me directly via the website or info@rihac.com.au and I will do my best to answer any questions which you can then post onto the forum (as we don't check it regularly). Regards, Sam Cahir.
Sam Cahir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 1:10 AM   #173

Sorry Guys,

Just saw the CIS system above and thought I'd post a pic of the way we run our tubing. This way the tubes are not likely to be crushed as we run them out the front.

Regards,

Sam Cahir

www.rihac.com.au
Attached Images

Sam Cahir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2006, 3:15 PM   #174

Hi.

Just a passing thought about chips ,reseting, eeproms, e.t.c.

I'm wondering if the Canon led sensors are spectral sensitive.

There was no reason that canon would choose to use RED only led's . Green would have made more sense to tell a person that the cartridge was properly inserted.

Red led's are not cheaper than green or blue. I make led flashlights

I've yet to take apart the cover off my 4200 to see if the led's change spectrum (colour) when the cover is closed and pritner is working.

Akam's razor (SP?) perhaps.

You can reset certain eproms with a uv light.

Some how i doubt this would be true. However if it is true. I'm really going to hate myself for taking so long to realize it.

Enjoy.

chippedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2006, 5:15 PM   #175

Hey Stratman...

There's a discussion of this system going on over on nifty-stuff... but from what I've heard to date this is basically a case of jumping from the frying pan to the fire..

The alternative system is alleged to provide you with the ability to continue to monitor your ink levels and the cartridges are supposed to be cheaper but you will not be able to refill (or that's the theory at the moment).. Instead you pay out a large amount of cash for a new system and then send back your used cartridges for replacements.

In essence you're swapping Canon OEM for a slightly cheaper (well aside from the kit you have to buy) alternative... Not exactly a saving is it :?

@ Sam:

Thanks for some of the info' Sam... In truth we've been relying on guess work regarding a lot of the workings with Canons new chipped cartridges and the biggest problem has been the reliability and accuracy of peoples reports.. ie: we just don't know if they've missed out, overstated, or plain lied about some variable or other than could effect things.

To date though I've found that even empty cartridges can be setup and used as components in CIS kits will work fine so it seems a lot of the potential problems may well come down to the issues you're picking up on.. I'd be interested to see a complete troubleshooting list at some point as it'd doubtless shed a little light on a few problems we've heard of before..
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2006, 3:48 AM   #176

I have found, after doing many CFS on the Canon printers with chips, that a variety of wierd problems can arise in connection with the chips. Sometimes there are never problems with the printer, even after 20000 pages, but problems are not uncommon in other printers. Some chip errors that occur include messages saying ink level cannot be detected, same cartridge installed twice, and the dreaded 6502 error message, I have had a printer give this message, a week later take out and reinstall the cartridges and everything is normal again!! ( This is in connection with iP4200, but it has happened to other Canon printer models with the chipped cartridges)

Sometimes a chip will not release, and after several pages the message to press the resume button occurs again. Usually after going this process several times, the chip eventually releases.

However, the wierdest problem is the printer starts to lose a colour when printing, a nozzle test indicates either light magenta or light cyan has disappeared from the printout, a clean or a deep clean gives a couple of good pages, then the problem surfaces again. Removing the printhead and giving it a good clean does not improve the situation. I then changed the cartridge and replaced with another empty that has not had the chip disabled, and sure enough the exact same print problem quickly surfaces. Put a new printhead in, and shortly the same problem occurs. So then I remove the used printhead and cartridges, including the one giving the print problem, and install in another printer (not new, it was already used and gone through the disable chip process) and hey presto, prints perfectly for 1000's pages after going through the chip disabling sequence for all the cartridges. So it appears to me that there is something going on with the firmware on the printer that is forcing one of the chips to give a print error, how else could you explain that moving the printhead and cartridges to another printer corrects the print problem. Some of my customers who do a lot of printing with these chipped Canon printers have experienced similar problems, always the light magenta or light cyan in the nozzle test has disappeared. Sometimes, replacing the cartridge with a new Canon cartridge corrects the problem, sometimes they also have to do a printer swap, as above, to correct the problem.

Anybody got an answer to the above.

The problem, as I see it, is even if somebody cracks the code on the chips and clones them, what is to stop Canon from programming the printer firmware to counteract this.
laikanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2006, 1:21 PM   #177

websnail wrote:
Quote:
Hey Stratman...

There's a discussion of this system going on over on nifty-stuff... but from what I've heard to date this is basically a case of jumping from the frying pan to the fire..

The alternative system is alleged to provide you with the ability to continue to monitor your ink levels and the cartridges are supposed to be cheaper but you will not be able to refill (or that's the theory at the moment).. Instead you pay out a large amount of cash for a new system and then send back your used cartridges for replacements.

In essence you're swapping Canon OEM for a slightly cheaper (well aside from the kit you have to buy) alternative... Not exactly a saving is it :?
Websnail:

Thanks. That is an interesting system but the unknown factors (how long will it work, how is the quality of the inks, can you refill and for how long, availability of cartridges and ink, etc) make this less than desirable until real user experience info appears. Since I live in the USA, I also am hesitent to rely upon a European distributor forthecontinued functioning of my printer. (http://www.ink4all.de/newsdesk_info....8f1c99e65fb18b)

Wouldn't having a CISnegate the need to monitor ink levels in the cartridges?
Stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2006, 4:50 PM   #178

Stratman wrote:
Quote:
Wouldn't having a CISnegate the need to monitor ink levels in the cartridges?
Yep... and I LOVE it for that ... sorry to rub it in but I've started selling maintained ip4200 and MP500 printers with CIS's installed and they're working great.

The problem is that I haven't found a commercial kit that I could recommend yet... reviewing one soon but so far it's just a bit too fraught.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 4:53 PM   #179

laikanuki wrote:
Quote:
However, the wierdest problem is the printer starts to lose a colour when printing, a nozzle test indicates either light magenta or light cyan has disappeared from the printout, a clean or a deep clean gives a couple of good pages, then the problem surfaces again.
I have a theory as I've seen this myself..

air bubbles.. Don't ask why, I don't know but when I see this in a CIS (and I've only see it twice now), I usually remove the CIS, check the air levels, re-prime if necessary and then replace... I also tend to check for any air leaks around the cartridge nozzle.

Completely inexact wild assed guessing I know but so far it seems to have solved a few problems for me... weird I know.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 5:16 AM   #180

Sam Cahir wrote:
Quote:
...The biggest issues we have established are to do with the signal from the LED on the back of the chip. If this LED light incurs any interference i.e. the LED is covered by double sided tape or the cartridge LED channel is dirty or even if the cover is open when testing, the printer will throw an error. These error messages range from 6502 to indicating the printer has two or more of a certain cartridge installed....
I ordered a cis system, and it worked fine, just wanted to check if there's any leak, so I took out the cartridges, than put them back, and got the 6502 error, and I don't know what to do now Please help me guys
stema is offline   Reply With Quote