Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old May 21, 2006, 3:48 PM   #11

I have new Canon 6600 printer that uses the CLI-8 series cartridges. I did refill them after they said that they were empty. The printer kept telling me to install a new cartridge with each print saying I had no ink, but let me print. After some 10 prints a mesage came up saying that I was using 3rd party ink and that my warranty was void. The message " replace ink cartridge" then went away and I was off and running with replacement ink. A small price to pay for cheap ink. The prints are great. It is a great printer with rebate at Circuit City it wa $140.00.
TWFitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 12:17 AM   #12

If I remember reading correctly Canon uses some pretty strong encryption in the chips to ensure that 3rd party companies can't crack it.

It might also be the legalise with the DMCA.

KnightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2006, 9:10 AM   #13

I have an ip5200R and did the same thing as TWFitzy... I refilled the carts and got the warning messages that 3rd party carts are being used and I had to confirm to continue printing (with now a void warranty). Sometimes I have to press the printer "resume" button down for 5 seconds to continue. Not a big deal, really, when you look at the retail cost of new carts, especially in Canada ($23.00 per cart at Staples).

All is well except I get intermittent strange warning messages now and then and I have to reconfirm that I want to continue using non-Canon cartridges. It is very annoying, but the printer still works great and I am saving tons of cash on ink. Like other members in this forum, I make sure I check the ink levels on a regular basis.

I would LOVE to get my hands on a chip resetter... maybe the coolsat satellite guys should have a look at this market opportunity!
javaman1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2006, 10:23 AM   #14

javaman1963 wrote:
Quote:
All is well except I get intermittent strange warning messages now and then and I have to reconfirm that I want to continue using non-Canon cartridges. It is very annoying, but the printer still works great and I am saving tons of cash on ink. Like other members in this forum, I make sure I check the ink levels on a regular basis.
Just to note that will stop happening once your last cartridge is triggered as "empty" by either the chip or the prism and you accept the 3 warnings spiel again.

It disables the ink levels for only those cartridges you've emptied (or reached a finite - empty point according to the chip) and makes you repeat the "yes I'm sure" process 3 times for each...

So, it will shuttup sometime soon
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2006, 3:41 PM   #15

And after I refill each cartridge 10 or 12 times and they refuse to work any longer, I will junk my new 6600, since I will not pay $12 per cartridge for 6 cartridges. Canon must be out its f.... mind.

SLK
ashel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2006, 3:55 PM   #16

ashel wrote:
Quote:
And after I refill each cartridge 10 or 12 times and they refuse to work any longer, I will junk my new 6600, since I will not pay $12 per cartridge for 6 cartridges. Canon must be out its f.... mind.
Just as another tip (whilst I agree with you completely) there's considerable information available on nifty-stuff forums about purging and cleaning old Canon carts and re-using them well past their un-cleaned limit.

Nobody's tackled the issue of keeping the chips dry but from what I understand they're removable anyway so it's worth considering.

As to myself, I've just shoved together CIS units using the Canon carts.. working very well and thumbs the nose at Canon.. They are as you say, completely out of their tiny noggins!
Old Jun 3, 2006, 7:54 PM   #17

The question in my mind is not that Canon is out of its tiny noggin---its a matter that the entire ink jet manufactering community---with the possible exception of brother is pulling some variant of the same stunt.

The best available statistic I have seen to date suggest that the world wide sales of ink jet ink is a 21 billion dollar industry---and that non-oem sellers occupy a surprising large 16% share of that market.

If present trends continue, higher priced OEM cartridges will be the only game in town for any new future inkjet printer. A clear case of antitrust and the hijacking of an entire technology to benefit corporate greed.--and also a clear case where the free enterprise system fails.

We end users are the ones out of our collective noggins if we are not writing our lawmakers.
Osage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2006, 8:01 AM   #18

At the end of the day Osage, if the trends continue then you can guarantee that home users will simply stop buying inkjet printers and move on to something that works...

As you said though, if this continues then it will be something that only law changes can resolve..
Old Jun 6, 2006, 1:21 PM   #19

:? Thanks for the info, websnail. But the saga continues. Once I had refilled all 5 cartridges in my ip5200R at least once, accepted the void warranty via on-screen prompts, and printed stuff for about a week, the printer decided to not print anymore. I got a printer error dialog on the desktop and could not continue or do the 5-second resume button.All I could do was cancel the print job.The error said "please replace all cartridges that have their lights off" and when I opened the printer top, lo and behold, all 5 had their lights off. So it looked like Canonwas going tohave the last laugh.I broke down and bought a new set of 5 cartridges ($120 thank you very much) and installed the Cyan first. To my joy the printer started working again after installing only the cyan. Therefore, it looks like the printer prefers to have at least one factory cartridge installed. If anyone has experienced this same thing, let me know.

Also, I went digging through the registry settings for any clues as to what the Canon printer driver might be doing and ran across a set of registry entries in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionPrintPrintersCanon iP5200RPrinterDriverData

There is some interesting stuff in there, such as CnmSLM_CIR which appears to record the ink tank levels. Before I installed the new cyan, all 5 showed as 'UK' which I assume means 'unknown'. After installing the factory cyan, the C=UK changed to C=100. I may try messing with these settings to see what happens on refilled tanks...
javaman1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 1:39 PM   #20

javaman1963 wrote:
Quote:
:? Thanks for the info, websnail. But the saga continues. Once I had refilled all 5 cartridges in my ip5200R at least once, accepted the void warranty via on-screen prompts, and printed stuff for about a week, the printer decided to not print anymore. I got a printer error dialog on the desktop and could not continue or do the 5-second resume button.All I could do was cancel the print job.The error said "please replace all cartridges that have their lights off" and when I opened the printer top, lo and behold, all 5 had their lights off. So it looked like Canonwas going tohave the last laugh.I broke down and bought a new set of 5 cartridges ($120 thank you very much) and installed the Cyan first. To my joy the printer started working again after installing only the cyan. Therefore, it looks like the printer prefers to have at least one factory cartridge installed. If anyone has experienced this same thing, let me know.
That is NOT good news and if it's true then I think Canon can expect to receive a class action lawsuit against them in short order...

Unfortunately I haven't yet reached that point as I still have ink left to go in my dyebase photo black ink cartridge so you'll be sure to know when I reach that point.

If it's true, I will be hitting the roof as it would tick every box in the realm of anti-trust that I can think of..

Quote:
Also, I went digging through the registry settings for any clues as to what the Canon printer driver might be doing and ran across a set of registry entries in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionPrintPrintersCanon iP5200RPrinterDriverData

There is some interesting stuff in there, such as CnmSLM_CIR which appears to record the ink tank levels. Before I installed the new cyan, all 5 showed as 'UK' which I assume means 'unknown'. After installing the factory cyan, the C=UK changed to C=100. I may try messing with these settings to see what happens on refilled tanks...
That's worth knowing and if you develop anymore info on this please let us know..

Thanks..