Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 17, 2006, 7:09 PM   #191

Websnail:

Although I have absolutely no ideas to help you out with your problems, I just wanted to say thank you for informing the rest of us of your experiences.

You have boldly gone where few havebeen before (with these new Canon chipped printers)! If this were an episode of Star Trek, you would NOT be the newguy that gets killed by the aliens before we get a chance to know him.

Keep hanging in there. We appreciate it.
Stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 5:16 AM   #192

Stratman wrote:
Quote:
You have boldly gone where few havebeen before (with these new Canon chipped printers)! If this were an episode of Star Trek, you would NOT be the newguy that gets killed by the aliens before we get a chance to know him.
LOL.. Oh I dunno about that... I reckon I'd be causing the writers headaches trying to keep me alive I'm that dumb :?

I guess I learn by scr*wing up things and then trying to fix things... Worth noting that in the process I managed to fry yet another printhead (which brings my count to about 5 this past 6 months) so it's not a cheap approach but heck if nothing else it's informative.

Quote:
Keep hanging in there. We appreciate it.
No worries and I'd just like to add my own vote of thanks to people who've shared their own input and solutions over the past few months, especially Sam who seems to have resolved problems that were baffling me for a long time. It's all good..
:idea:
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 6:06 AM   #193

Hi! Please help me! I have error 6502 and everything works fine even if I use the ciss cartridges without the tubing, but after installing them (front or back, doesn't matter) I get error 6502. I spent a lot of money on this system, so I wouldn't like it to go to waste. Thanks for your help!
stema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 10:11 AM   #194

stema wrote:
Quote:
Hi! Please help me! I have error 6502 and everything works fine even if I use the ciss cartridges without the tubing, but after installing them (front or back, doesn't matter) I get error 6502. I spent a lot of money on this system, so I wouldn't like it to go to waste. Thanks for your help!
Do you mean that the error only occurs after you hook up your CIS tubing?

Found an IP4200 Service Manual online which states that error 6502 is an ink tank position sensor error with possible solutions to be replacement ofPlaten unit (QM2-2202) and Logic board bottom'y (QM2-2670)*1. (*1: Before replacement of the logic board bottom'y, check the waste ink amount (by service test print or EEPROM information print). If the waste ink amount is 7% or more, also replace the ink absorber kit (QY5-0146) when replacing the logic board bottom'y.)

See the installation guide on Sam Cahir's site, page 19,for an explanation andpossible solution: http://www.rihac.com.au/instructions/canon/IP4200.pdf.Thanks to Sam!

Stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2006, 9:18 AM   #195

Newby frustrated with Canon's methods, I've decided to start collecting information about the chip; with enough info, maybe there's a workaround?

Some rudimentary multimeter results[img]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/MATTHE%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/img]:

The chip has four contacts, with one longer than the other three. I oriented the chip so that the longest contact is third from the left (call it position "C", where "A" and "B" are the contacts to the left and "D" is to the right), I checked a two new cartridges for continuity (resistance) between all contacts. The results were the same for each:

New cartridges:
A - B: Infinite resistance (no continuity)
A - C: Infinite resistance (no continuity)
A - D: Infinite resistance (no continuity)
B - C: Infinite resistance (no continuity)
B - D: Infinite resistance (no continuity)
C - D: ca. 1 ohm

The infinite resistance on all but one pair seems to indicate a physical effect (fuse? shunt?).

I did not rigorously test an empty cartridge; however, the resistance for each contact pair was NOT infinite, and varied with each test. To me, this indicates current flow through the chip gates (flipping bits). I am no electronic person - anybody have an alternative take on this?

I would love more input. I'm running refilled cartridges right now with the typical Status Monitor complaints - I was a loyal Canon buyer (five printers, three cameras) but this really ticks me off...

CLi8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2006, 12:09 PM   #196

I actually carried out a deep dive on these new chipped cartridges and can give you some more info. There are four terminals on each chip: PWR(3.3v), GND, CLK (1Mhz), Data.

I used a high end scope to capture the entire communication bit- stream on the data line but could not verify the direction of communication. Long streams of data come across the bus on power-up and shutdown. A small burst takes place before each print.

It appears as if the printer sends a ‘request data' type packet on power-up and sequences the five chips. I.e. it sends a command to the ‘Cyan' chip to provide it's status, the chip replies and acks the request, then a command goes out to the ‘Magenta' chip, etc. In this manner if one of the five chips is missing the printer can inform you as to which one didn't reply. Vice versa if you have duplicate cartridges installed then both will attempt to ack the request data command and confuse the printer and you will get an error requesting attention to the ink tanks.

I presume that the short burst of data before a print is some sort of nozzle firing count being written to the chips but again I could not verify this.

In analyzing the data stream I quickly came to the conclusion that some sort of encryption was in the works as the ‘request data' packets were constant and the pattern of communication was constant ie specific timing breaks between data on bus - but the reply from the chip was lengthy and had no obvious pattern. I assume that the reply from the chips is encrypted and no simple encryption as I needed a scope with a significant buffer (8mb) to record the entire stream.
vkakula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2006, 2:03 PM   #197

vkakula - can you specify orientation on the contacts? Is the long contact ground?

CLi8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2006, 1:44 AM   #198

I have spent 3 days reading this thread and trying all the suggestions. My Canon Pixma 4200 is on a hunger strike, we are on total lockout. Have refilled the carts twice, and now it will not allow any more.

The info on this site is superb and very helpful, unfortunately, ya can lead a horse to water but ya can't make the dirty rotten thing drink. (The Cis is just to much for me to cope with) Not that I'm a dummy, my expertise just lies in other areas.

I loved the quote "Canon, meet my hammer" and I just happened to have one handy.:|

Having wasted enough time on this darned printer, I have just gone out and bought a new one (Epson), cheaper than the cost of a set of replacement canon carts. So there Canon,:blah: you lost this customer for good. At the cheap price of an epson, I can just buy a new one every time the ink runs out.Face it Canon, aren't there millions of everyday people like me out there with everyday printing needs?

Anyone want this pixma? Will I have to pay somebody to take it away?
Attached Images

iliketokillmypixma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2006, 1:47 AM   #199

I have spent 3 days reading this thread and trying all the suggestions. My Canon Pixma 4200 is on a hunger strike, we are on total lockout. Have refilled the carts twice, and now it will not allow any more.

The info on this site is superb and very helpful, unfortunately, ya can lead a horse to water but ya can't make the dirty rotten thing drink. (The Cis is just to much for me to cope with) Not that I'm a dummy, my expertise just lies in other areas.

I loved the quote "Canon, meet my hammer" and I just happened to have one handy.:|

Having wasted enough time on this darned printer, I have just gone out and bought a new one (Epson), cheaper than the cost of a set of replacement canon carts. So there Canon,:blah: you lost this customer for good. At the cheap price of an epson, I can just buy a new one every time the ink runs out.Face it Canon, aren't there millions of everyday people like me out there with everyday printing needs?

Anyone want this pixma? Will I have to pay somebody to take it away?
iliketokillmypixma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2006, 10:00 PM   #200

Hi,

What about this http://www.re-inks.com/Canon-classic...PASS-MP500.asp

They seem to sell the refill kit and guarantee that it works. Iwould assume they would include the chip resetter, otherwise what is the point to sell the stuff which won't work. I have MP500 and wondering what to do when the ink is out.

armani is offline   Reply With Quote