Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old May 24, 2007, 5:26 AM   #241

CPUK wrote:
Quote:

we have the facility to refill and reset the chips on CLI-8 and PG-5 cartridges. I sell cli-8 refills for £5.50 and the PG-5 for £6.50 inc Thanks.
Thank you CPUK for the information provided. Before deciding to avail myself of these services and products I wonder if you could answer the following in more detail:-

Is the facility to re-chip and re-fill... a)at a central Cartridge World Location , b) at all Cartridge World Locations , c) at some Cartridge World Locations.

Is the facility exclusive to Cartidge World ?

The Price of rechipped/refilled carts......I note that the siteI previously mentioned in this thread that was selling genuine Canon carts are today selling at £6.81 for CYMB and £7.99 for PG5 (postage in total for carts is £1.49) .This would give a saving of £1.31 on CYMB and £1.50 on PG5. Is this a normal saving margin against non-chipped items ?

Is it possible at your store to just take in chipped carts and have them re-set (and not re-filled) if so you could you quote a price for this service ?

Is the reset permanent or will the cart after being re-set and refilled act exactly like a genuine Canon cart and eventually give a low ink warning and subsequent need for overide and loss off ink monitor.?

Can one have canon carts just re-filled and the chip not reset?....if so what is the charge for this?

There has been much discussion regarding the existence/use of chip re-setters by various companies, I look forward to some clarification.
headphonesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007, 5:31 PM   #242

Hi,

I have answered below the questions you raised, thanks.

headphonesman wrote
Quote:
Is the facility to re-chip and re-fill... a)at a central Cartridge World Location , b) at all Cartridge World Locations , c) at some Cartridge World Locations.

The resetter was bought for all the stores within the UK and is based at Harrogate. We have the facility to send our empty units to Harrogate for resetting and we then fill them ourselves in store. I see no reason why any store would be unable to offer this service as it is available to all franchises at all stores.

Is the facility exclusive to Cartidge World ?

AFAIK yes it is, I know of no other company who are able to reset these chips.

The Price of rechipped/refilled carts......I note that the siteI previously mentioned in this thread that was selling genuine Canon carts are today selling at £6.81 for CYMB and £7.99 for PG5 (postage in total for carts is £1.49) .This would give a saving of £1.31 on CYMB and £1.50 on PG5. Is this a normal saving margin against non-chipped items ?

We are a retail outlet in a high street location. We sell the OEM carts at £11.95 & £9.95 inc vat. Unfortunately we have overheads to meet and offer a face to face local service, we do not sell thousands of items at minimal margin.

We look to be competitive on OEM and with the offer of a fully functioning refilled cartridge producing equal if not better results, the savings offered I believe are very good.

Other cartridges we refill offer higher savings and in some cases we can put more ink in than the OEM.

Is it possible at your store to just take in chipped carts and have them re-set (and not re-filled) if so you could you quote a price for this service ?

Interesting question, I have never been asked to do this. I personally would probably not entertain this idea, although you may find a different response at another store...

Is the reset permanent or will the cart after being re-set and refilled act exactly like a genuine Canon cart and eventually give a low ink warning and subsequent need for overide and loss off ink monitor.?

The chip is reset and all the functions and warnings you get with the OEM remain, no difference.

Can one have canon carts just re-filled and the chip not reset?....if so what is the charge for this?

We used to offer this before we had the facility to reset the chips (as we already had qualified ink available). I offered this to customers with a set of instructions and based on them signing a disclaimer against any damage to their printhead resulting from not monitoring their ink levels.

I don't see any reason a store would need to sell these refills without a resetted chip now though.

There has been much discussion regarding the existence/use of chip re-setters by various companies, I look forward to some clarification.

I understand this. I was recently at a trade show in Germany called Remax (you may have heard of it). We had an interesting conversation with a company involved in finding a solution to this chip issue and he explained that Canon has a patent on their chip system essentially meaning replicated chips would be a no-no.

Ofcourse I can't be in anyway sure of the accuracy of this information but it was interesting to hear and only time will tell if this is to be the case.

Please feel free to ask me anything else. If it was of interest to forum members I would be happy to offer this service by post and could arrange for some better savings on full sets etc? I see some of you guys are refilling and monitoring yourself so perhaps it may not be.

Cheers.
CPUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2007, 1:44 AM   #243

CPUK wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

Quote:
Please feel free to ask me anything else. If it was of interest to forum members I would be happy to offer this service by post and could arrange for some better savings on full sets etc? I see some of you guys are refilling and monitoring yourself so perhaps it may not be.

Cheers.
CPUK,

Thank you for your very explicit answer to my queries, I now know a lot more than I did before.

You rightly surmise that to those of us that are refilling ourselves , the advantages of chip reset combined with price you have to currently charge would not be beneficial.

However it may appeal to those that wish to make a small saving , it also begs the question in the event the "resetter machine" becomes more widely available to other commercial refillers , whether the refill /resetprice will become more competative,(and attractive !) .

It is surprising that on many Forums the existence and origin of the Chip re-set Machine has remained unknown , including its use by Cartridge World, hence my questions.

Thank you once again for your prompt and full reply , I intend to test out the process on one cart at my local Cartridge World in the near future.

regards

headphonesman

Old May 25, 2007, 1:16 PM   #244

headphonesman wrote:
Quote:
CPUK wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

Quote:

Cheers.
CPUK,

Thank you for your very explicit answer to my queries, I now know a lot more than I did before.

You rightly surmise that to those of us that are refilling ourselves , the advantages of chip reset combined with price you have to currently charge would not be beneficial.

However it may appeal to those that wish to make a small saving , it also begs the question in the event the "resetter machine" becomes more widely available to other commercial refillers , whether the refill /resetprice will become more competative,(and attractive !) .

It is surprising that on many Forums the existence and origin of the Chip re-set Machine has remained unknown , including its use by Cartridge World, hence my questions.

Thank you once again for your prompt and full reply , I intend to test out the process on one cart at my local Cartridge World in the near future.

regards

headphonesman

No problem, i'm sure when you try out our cartridges you will be pleasantly surprised )
Old May 25, 2007, 6:37 PM   #245

I called Cartridge World in the USA and they don't appear to be resetting the canon carts. At least nobody there has been told yet. He said that laws are different in different countries so UK may be able to do it while the USA won't get it.
KnightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 3:15 AM   #246

The original Canon cartridges, PG-5 & CL-8, are easy to refill (same as BCI-3e & BCI-6) and the chips are easy to disable which does mean the status monitor is no longer active and no low ink warning is indicated. However, this is not is not a problem at all, the black print will start to slowly fade as the ink runs out, simply refill all of them at the same time and recommence printing. I have refilled the same Canon cartridges about 15 times now and actually refill them without taking them out of the printer. Why bother getting the chips reset, with all the inconvenience and cost, when they can be refilled in less than five minutes when the ink is running out. And what is to stop Canon reprogramming the printer firmware or the chip to make the chip resetter useless. Until chip resetters are like the ones for Epson, cheap and easy to use at home, I cannot see them being commercially viable at the costs and inconvenience indicated for a simple chip reset.
laikanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 6:15 PM   #247

headphonesman wrote:
Quote:
, I intend to test out the process on one cart at my local Cartridge World in the near future.
I have now purchased an exchange cart from Cartridge world , the price and procedure were exactly as described by CPUK.

The price charged was £6.50, I had to exchange with an empty CLI8 cart, the cart had been refilled (blob of glue from a glue gun covering an insert hole), the cart lit up ok when placed in the head cradle. The cart had a label on stating the local area the cart had been provided for . It was not shrinkwrapped . It did not have an orange twist -off exit cap, it had a small blue clip on Cartridge World cap....(nice fit)

I was assured by the salesman that it would perform exactly as a normal cart , eventually running out and being made dead. Because of the way the re-set works the serial number of the cart cannot be changed , if my machine sees it again after a reset/refill it will remember and not work .... He said that they try to avoid this by recording wherethe cart came in from and making sure it does not go back to the same area , (hence the area label on the cart I bought)

On checking the Status Monitor it shows that the cart is good and full (the only one that is !)

CPUK says that the proper Canon is sold by him at £9.95 and £6.50 for a refill shows a good saving .....I have always believed that CLI8`s were overpriced at that price and should be the same price as BCI6`s were......£6.50 approx...so the saving is not then so wonderful.

I am in complete agreement with Laikanuki`s comments, I shall not be abandoning my home re-fill of CLI8`s for the luxury of ink monitoring status being resumed.

I shall continue to be intrigued by what the full story is behing this scenario .......Why is the machine only apparently with one major aftermarket ink supplier ?

Is the price high because Canon are players in this re-cycle operation ?

The Truth Is Out There!....If someone can add some verifiable facts that widen our understanding , please let us know.

Old May 26, 2007, 7:52 PM   #248

I have been told that the restters for these Canon chips are being sold for around A$1000 each. The suppliers are trying to get them into refillers like Cartridge World, this is the situation in Australia apparently. I suppose the reason is that the resetter is so expensive that only a large organisation would be interested in buying them. I consider them a complete waste of money, as the simple option of refilling the cartridge yourself is available, and the ink for one refill (CL-8) would cost about A$3, way cheaper than the cartridge supplied by Cartridge World. Until a small chip resetter worth around A$20 is available that allows the same carridge to be reused in the printer, the option for restting is not viable as there is (so far!!) the free option of disabling the chip to continue refilling the cartridge and use it in the same printer.
laikanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 12:26 PM   #249

headphonesman wrote:
Quote:

CPUK says that the proper Canon is sold by him at £9.95 and £6.50 for a refill shows a good saving .....I have always believed that CLI8`s were overpriced at that price and should be the same price as BCI6`s were......£6.50 approx...so the saving is not then so wonderful.

Hi,

The CLI's I sell at £9.95 / Refill at £5.50, the PG-5 I sell at £11.95 / Refill at £6.50.

If you have paid £6.50 for a refill CLI, I would personally suggest that is overpriced (Each store is responsible for their own pricing).

How have you found the quality though?
Old May 27, 2007, 1:19 PM   #250

CPUK wrote:
Quote:
The CLI's I sell at £9.95 / Refill at £5.50, the PG-5 I sell at £11.95 / Refill at £6.50.

If you have paid £6.50 for a refill CLI, I would personally suggest that is overpriced (Each store is responsible for their own pricing).

How have you found the quality though?
Thank you CPUK , I have checked my receipt again and I was indeed charged £6.50.

I apologise for misquoting your price , which in all your previous was£5.50 , this price should appeal to light to moderate users that cannot trust themselves to manually monitor and re-fill carts and are willing to pay the extra , but not Canon`s extra !.

The quality of the ink seems fine, (although I am quite a stranger to Canons quality ink , you understand) , I ran the cart printing 10xA4 color photgraphs (ink is no object), with no tweaking to color strengths necessary.