Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Sep 22, 2007, 10:59 AM   #251

websnail wrote:
Quote:
ashel wrote:
Quote:
And after I refill each cartridge 10 or 12 times and they refuse to work any longer, I will junk my new 6600, since I will not pay $12 per cartridge for 6 cartridges. Canon must be out its f.... mind.
Just as another tip (whilst I agree with you completely) there's considerable information available on nifty-stuff forums about purging and cleaning old Canon carts and re-using them well past their un-cleaned limit.

Nobody's tackled the issue of keeping the chips dry but from what I understand they're removable anyway so it's worth considering.

As to myself, I've just shoved together CIS units using the Canon carts.. working very well and thumbs the nose at Canon.. They are as you say, completely out of their tiny noggins!
While I understand your point here, my question to you is, and I've been doing this for over 12 years; you make mention that you won't or refuse to buy Canon genuine inks at $12 a pop, but on the other hand, have you researched the other printer choices/companies? All the time, I stand at the ink section at the store and look at the amount of ink that comes, in lets say an HP number 22 or 23 color in cartridge (about 5ml), and then look at a SINGLE canon color ink cartridge and see 13ML!! WOW, look at the difference; someone is ripping you off, but it's NOT Canon. Barely 2ml per color in a TRI Tank, or ONE color with 13ml for about $12? And the HP tri-color was about $23!!! So, you're going to say that you refill them and I refuse to do this after having a horrible experience with the pictures that I sell, NOT coming out with the same color tones as in the REAL canon inks. Also, two of my prints faded after two months, whereas the same photo printed on Canon paper using their new CLI8 series with Chroma-life was still fine. So, if you're someone that intends on using only CAnon genuine inks and when you compare that to what the other guys give you (Lexmark does not publish, no serperate colors; HP does now, but they still, per color have next to nothing in them, and Espon also does not publish ml amounts), the only logical choice is the Canon. Keeping in mind that one of the biggest means by which these companies stay in business in from the ink and paper sales; and I don't look at it as a rip off, but rather, "business", and it's "just business", who rips us off (a little or a lot), and who is giving us as much ink as possible and also trying to turn a profit? - CANON

Plus now, not to mention, no current printers, aside from canon, can lay down 1 picolitre droplets at 9600x2400! That's amazing, and we're already into the 2nd years that canon printers have done this, and STILL the competition hasn't caught up.

iSAPS Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2007, 11:52 AM   #252

I have recently switched to an ip4200, because it takes fewer cartridges than the 6600. For my purposes, I find little or no difference in the photos printed and less problems with less ink tanks.

Much to my own amusement, I bought a second 4200 for $39 for the cartridges recently.

SLK
cshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2007, 11:13 PM   #253

Hmm, what can i say

I refill my ip 5200 for less than 0,5 us dollar

and still have a working ink level indicator.

http://www.inkmon.org/Downloads.html

about the 1 Picoliter drop size on canon printers

these dropps are much bigger than Epsons 1,5 Picoliter drop

you cant tell how big or wide a picoliter drop would be

it is different on different printers.

it´s like saying how wide is a gallon.

on Epson R265 (1,5 picoliter)

you can hardly see the droplet even under a magnified glas

on the canon you can easely see it with your eye.

the Piezo head does this much smaller because the ink is cold

when the ink is warm (miezo, Canon) you get a larger drop

even if the Picoliter size is smaler the Picoliter gets wider on Miezo heads.

/inkmaster
Inkmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2007, 9:04 AM   #254

I have a 6600 with 3 cartrigdes currently empty. I actually sent some my digital pics off to York Photo to print and deliver to my home.

It seems that the 6600 uses alot of ink or runs a cleaning cycle so often and wastes ink. No matter what, I always have a cartridge blinking.

Is there a beter choice for a printer? Even the extra expense up front to save money from purchasing ink would be great.

Should I just by aftermarket inks and possibly go the route with the ink monitor mentioned by Inkmaster?

Should the printer be left powered on all the time to minimize the cleaning cycle or does this even work?

Any help to save ink cost is appreciated.
gobucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2007, 9:41 AM   #255

Hi !

Both Canon and Epson printers

runs automatic a cleaning cycle everytime the power turns on

so leaving the always on please than you vill save a lot of ink.

Using Formulab inks on the canon delivers almost or the same quality

as OEM BUT it is´nt waterfast att all also not good for the UV

as the OEM is but if you use Waterfast Glossy paper you can print

with any ink you like and it is Deadly waterfast even better than OEM

And there is also a spray you can use to protect for UV.

as i said down to 0,5 us dollar per refill on a canon cart
if you buy a large bottle.

/Inkmaster
Old Sep 24, 2007, 1:37 PM   #256

gobucks wrote:
Quote:
I have a 6600 with 3 cartrigdes currently empty. I actually sent some my digital pics off to York Photo to print and deliver to my home.

It seems that the 6600 uses alot of ink or runs a cleaning cycle so often and wastes ink. No matter what, I always have a cartridge blinking.

Is there a beter choice for a printer? Even the extra expense up front to save money from purchasing ink would be great.

Should I just by aftermarket inks and possibly go the route with the ink monitor mentioned by Inkmaster?

Should the printer be left powered on all the time to minimize the cleaning cycle or does this even work?

Any help to save ink cost is appreciated.
Exactly, yes, that's what I do, is leave the power on all the time; it does go into sleep mode and then I think like once, every 72 hours the machine does a slight purge to keep the nozzles clearned. I've never ran through as much ink as you talk about; I love my ip6700d, I mean, no other printer puts down 1pico litre ink droplets at 9600x2400! I love it when friends and family think I got them printed elsewhere, like at the local sams or something, then I tell them I did them at home. If I recall, I did a test, unofficial of course and on my first batch of inks, before running out of one ink (saying it was empty), I ran nothing, but 4x6 pictures and got 212 4x6's!!, borderless and beautiful. Those were 5mp imagines at standard mode without vivid photo or anything "extra" turned on that may take up more ink. And those still were amazing!

Old Sep 24, 2007, 1:46 PM   #257

Inkmaster wrote:
Quote:
Hmm, what can i say

I refill my ip 5200 for less than 0,5 us dollar

and still have a working ink level indicator.

http://www.inkmon.org/Downloads.html

about the 1 Picoliter drop size on canon printers

these dropps are much bigger than Epsons 1,5 Picoliter drop

you cant tell how big or wide a picoliter drop would be

it is different on different printers.

it´s like saying how wide is a gallon.

on Epson R265 (1,5 picoliter)

you can hardly see the droplet even under a magnified glas

on the canon you can easely see it with your eye.

the Piezo head does this much smaller because the ink is cold

when the ink is warm (miezo, Canon) you get a larger drop

even if the Picoliter size is smaler the Picoliter gets wider on Miezo heads.

/inkmaster
That doesn't make sense, because the industry as a whole, uses this measurement as a "standard" for putting out the specifications of each respective printer companies. A pico litre is a meansurement of one trillionith of a litre and the Canon print head is made a lot more finer than the Epson head (which is made through parts being "bonded" together. The Canon printhead, as explained in their enginerring document, is done through a semiconductor/photolithography process whereas the head is a silicon chip and the rows of nozzles are essentially "etched" into the wafer, and through this, they are able to attain droplets as low as 1 pico litre in size. Epson actually takes a 3pl droplet and essentially "slices" it in two, that's where they get their "1.5" droplets from. I have been printing on Canon ever since the i950, and now with even the ip4500 (new model), making sure of course the machine's head alignment is done/calibrated, I cannot see any visible droplets unless I use a loop. This has also been said in many of the reviews, such on here with Steves, Tom's Hardware, Lumunious Lanscape, i-photo review in the UK and so on. And now that this is the second year that Canon has been putting out printers that can achieve 9600x2400 dpi, these droplets are closer together and more uniformly laid down. Both Epson and HP have introduced their new models for fall, 07 and no one else, yet, has achieved 1pl droplets at 9600x2400dpi.

Old Sep 25, 2007, 6:40 AM   #258

Is there a current printer by Canon that is known for using minimal ink with great results? And possibly a current Canon that does not use chips in the cartridges?

gobucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2007, 7:29 AM   #259

Hi !

APicoliter is a measure of capacity

like : gallon Litre ets

The diameter of a picoliter is a measure of length

like :mile meter centimeter ets

So how big the droplet of an single ink is Measured by the diameter

and NOT on Picoliter size.

its like saying :a gallon of gasolin is 10 meters wide.

i was wrong it is not that easy to see the single drop from Canon

but under a magnifying glass it is easy to see the droplets.

And hard to see on Epsons R265 with 1,5 Picolitre.

I would say that Epson older Modell R200 with 3 Picolitre

has almost the same Diameter as Canons 1 Picolitre

And for the Rekord the dpi has no value what so ever

it is the Diameter of the Droplet that says how fine a printer could print

to bad they only say how high resolution is

and sometimes the Picolitre size.

10 out of 10 of my friends was holding Epson R265 for a smaller drop

than Canons when looking magnifying glass , try yourself

you will see there is no Doubt.

/inkmaster

Old Sep 26, 2007, 7:13 AM   #260

If your trying to say that the Epson is better then the Canon because the end result is the drop sizes that hit the paper are smaller I will have to strongly disagree. Looking at the latest review of the Canon IP4500 for it seems to produce a sharper picture.

http://druckerchannel.de/artikel.php...empo_fotodruck

Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the 4 eyes comparison.
KnightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote