Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jun 6, 2006, 1:55 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
websnail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 475
Default

By the way..

I just checked the Canon support pages and they've only made one notation that has anything related to refilling ie: that multiple page printout can take longer..

There's no indication that you can't print with no Canon carts in use... If you're feeling particularly bored one day would you please try contacting their tech support and asking if this is "expected behaviour" and whether or not they have a "fix" beyond buying their cartridges...

If nothing else it'd be useful to know what they're playing at or if you just hit an aberation..


EDIT: Sod it... I contacted them myself using your error report as the basis for my query... I guess we'll find out soon enough what's going on.
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 2:30 AM   #22
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15
Default

Interesting stuff. I had a brain storm and gave my i5000 to my daughter to replace her worn out i560. I had been using the 5000 with generic inks at $A6.40 each with as good results as the Canon inks.

I bought a ip4200 without appreciating the ink problems.

Latest price locally for the ip4200 complete with inks etc is $A140. Price for Canon inks about $A24 each totalling $120....Something is screwy!

One set of inks and there is only $20 difference! I guess thelocal tipswill have an awful lot of printers to dispose of
Sandgroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 3:10 AM   #23
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 51
Default

Sandgroper wrote:
Quote:
One set of inks and there is only $20 difference! I guess thelocal tipswill have an awful lot of printers to dispose of
Why not just get a refill kit? I got one from hobbicolor in the states. They delivered it to the UK in less than a week for only $28. The kit includes everything you need & enough ink for about 10 complete re-fills.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 4:16 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
websnail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 475
Default

speedy wrote:
Quote:
Sandgroper wrote:
Quote:
One set of inks and there is only $20 difference! I guess thelocal tipswill have an awful lot of printers to dispose of
Why not just get a refill kit? I got one from hobbicolor in the states. They delivered it to the UK in less than a week for only $28. The kit includes everything you need & enough ink for about 10 complete re-fills.
Well at the moment it looks like Canon may have made it difficult to have completely refilled cartridges.. I'm still waiting to hear back from Canon or anyone else though..
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 5:17 AM   #25
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 51
Default

websnail wrote:
Quote:
Well at the moment it looks like Canon may have made it difficult to have completely refilled cartridges.. I'm still waiting to hear back from Canon or anyone else though..

:shock:NOT liking the sound of this. Fingers crossed it's a one-off fault / coincidence.

Even if you have to run it with only one new cart it's still bad news. Must go against some sort of trade / fair play / monopoly law??? :?

Why can't Canon just supply us with OEM ink at a fair price? £10 a cart is just extortion and greed.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 5:33 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
websnail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 475
Default

speedy wrote:
Quote:
:shock:NOT liking the sound of this. Fingers crossed it's a one-off fault / coincidence.

Even if you have to run it with only one new cart it's still bad news. Must go against some sort of trade / fair play / monopoly law??? :?

Why can't Canon just supply us with OEM ink at a fair price? £10 a cart is just extortion and greed.
Well for what it's worth there's some good news on the horizon for a change..

I've been chatting to a supplier for CIS kits, parts, inks, etc... and the word is that the Canons may, let me stress this may have an alternate available soon.

At this point I have no idea if these are likely to be an autoreset chip or just standard throw-away jobs but I'm being kept in the loop on developments.

As to the legal position, my contact was quite clear that if they've tried to do something deliberately that locks in their consumables then they'll have hung themselves out to dry... It won't be pretty... but we'll see on that score.. It's hard not to immediately opt for the conspiracy/tabloid theories as a knee jerk reaction so patience and hard facts are required.

Yep... bloody hard ain't it :-)


websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 5:40 AM   #27
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 51
Default

Thanks for keeping us posted Websnail.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2006, 1:38 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
websnail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 475
Default

javaman1963 wrote:
Quote:
:? Thanks for the info, websnail. But the saga continues. Once I had refilled all 5 cartridges in my ip5200R at least once, accepted the void warranty via on-screen prompts, and printed stuff for about a week, the printer decided to not print anymore. I got a printer error dialog on the desktop and could not continue or do the 5-second resume button.All I could do was cancel the print job.The error said "please replace all cartridges that have their lights off" and when I opened the printer top, lo and behold, all 5 had their lights off. So it looked like Canonwas going tohave the last laugh.I broke down and bought a new set of 5 cartridges ($120 thank you very much) and installed the Cyan first. To my joy the printer started working again after installing only the cyan. Therefore, it looks like the printer prefers to have at least one factory cartridge installed. If anyone has experienced this same thing, let me know.
It's occured to me that I may have forgotten a very simple check with this..

Was you cyan cartridge or any of the other cartidges empty (the spongeless part of it I mean) when you got that error?

I ask because the printer may still protect you from printing with an empty ink cartridge if the prism has detected that there's no ink left in the tank.

It's a long shot but I just got a response from Canon where I got the standard "We only support Canon products installed with Canon consumables" so they're refusing to confirm or deny anything at this point..




EDIT: I've also managed to "empty" all my cartridges now so if this issue is a worse case "design limitation" then I'll know in a week or so..
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2006, 2:05 PM   #29
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3
Default

websnail wrote:
Quote:
Was you cyan cartridge or any of the other cartidges empty (the spongeless part of it I mean) when you got that error?
I had just finished topping up a couple of them so they all were at least 1/2 full in the 'tank' section (non-sponge side).
javaman1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2006, 2:16 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
websnail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 475
Default

javaman1963 wrote:
Quote:
websnail wrote:
Quote:
Was you cyan cartridge or any of the other cartidges empty (the spongeless part of it I mean) when you got that error?
I had just finished topping up a couple of them so they all were at least 1/2 full in the 'tank' section (non-sponge side).
Hmm... curiouser and curiouser..

Ah well.. I'll either confirm it or it'll remain a mystery...

If you're feeling "daring" you could always try replacing the refilled cyan again and see if it locks up again.. I'd also check that the chips on all the cartridges were clean too..


Anyways, I've emailed Canon tech support with a follow up and asked them point blank if there's a design limitation of this type or not.. If they continue to evade and I get the same error I'd say it's time to hand it over to trading standards.
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 9:28 AM.