Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jun 21, 2006, 8:49 AM   #51

laikanuki wrote:
Quote:
According to my sources in Asia who make compatible chips for cartridges, the chips on each of the cartridges in iP4200/iP5200 have 128bit ASIC encryption, and they and nobody else,and as far as they know, has cracked the code, and even if they do, there will be a problem finding a chip small enough to hold all the instructions that will fit on a compatible cartridge. They have been trying to crack them since they were released, and in their own words, they have never come across chips like them before.
That's about what I've heard except to add that one of the additional problems is that the clock speed of the chips is around 4 times that of the Epsons, which means more sophisticated tech is involved.

Quote:
As for discussions about fooling the chips etc, nothing works, when the chip registers ink out, that is it. Trying to refill before the cartridge is empty, swapping chips, covering chips etc.etc. nothing will work. The chips can be disabled, you lose the status monitor but the cartridges can be refilled OK. Even after the chips are disabled, covering them or removing them will prevent tne printer from working.
Correct... nothing works to fool the chips but just to clarify (in case anyone has confused my ideas) my suggestions to date have not involved trying to trick the chip into thinking it's still OEM and full. I've been aiming to stop the system from locking up which so far only a few people have reported and the reasons behind that do seem a little inconsistent...

At present covering the prism at the start may stop some issues with refilling and the lock up but so far absolutely not confirmation one way or the other.

Quote:
That is the bad news, the good news is that setting the printers up for continuous flow is easy, and once the chips are disabled, the printers just keep powering on without any more hassles, just keep the ink bottles topped up and the paper tray replenished. My own iP4200 is up to 15000 pages, most at least 50% coverage and no problems at all, in fact with the continuous flow, head cleans are dramatically decreased. I have done about 20 continuous flow systems and not one has had any problems.
Useful to know... I've done only around 3,000 sheets on each of my two iP4200's to date but it helps to know that you've not hit the problems some refillers have reported..

Keep us posted on how things proceed.. Oh and just out of interest, have you had to change out the printhead yet?
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 10:53 AM   #52

laikanuki wrote:
Quote:
Even after the chips are disabled, covering them or removing them will prevent tne printer from working.

Do you mean the printer won't work unless all 5 carts are installed.. or do you mean removing a cart with a an "empty chip" to refill it will cause a lock out??

Anyone re-filled their carts on the ip4200 more than once yet? I'm only getting low ink warning on my magenta cart and still waiting for an empty / warranty void notice
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 2:39 PM   #53

speedy wrote:
Quote:
laikanuki wrote:
Quote:
Even after the chips are disabled, covering them or removing them will prevent tne printer from working.
Do you mean the printer won't work unless all 5 carts are installed.. or do you mean removing a cart with a an "empty chip" to refill it will cause a lock out??
We haven't confirmed that "removing a cart with an empty chip will cause a lock out or not.. Liakanuki is referring to the fact that you can't go through the routine of "disabling" a cartridge after it's been refilled and then remove the chip or block its contacts. ie: the printer will still look for the chip even if it's supposedly not using it.

Quote:
Anyone re-filled their carts on the ip4200 more than once yet? I'm only getting low ink warning on my magenta cart and still waiting for an empty / warranty void notice
Still waiting for some kind of confirmation on that... I do know my CIS and Liakanuki's are still working without incident so my suggested approach of refilling before the low ink point (with the power off before cartridge removal and power on after cartridge replacement) should work..
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 3:32 PM   #54

Ok - Thanks Websnail.

I'm beginning to think those reports about lock-ups are maybe one-offs... I guess only time will tell. Although it sounds like you're still going a storm with your CIS

Old Jun 22, 2006, 9:49 PM   #55

Post was removed, as I have fixed one of the problems, sorry..
DazNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2006, 7:26 AM   #56

some inkjet printers can be reset by by removing the button battery inside the printer and reinstalling it after 30 minutes.. have anyone tried it on canon pixma printers, like 4200 abd 5200
benl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2006, 7:34 AM   #57

heard some of this cartridge can be reset by just removing the printers button battery and reinstalling it after some minutes. have anyone tried it on pixma 4200 and 5200
benl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 5:52 AM   #58

I've just looked at the CanoniP4200 Service Manual (QY8-13A9-000). There's no on-board battery shown in it; and, none islisted as a replacement part. Seems to indicate no such battery exists as was suggested by Benl. Delete that option.

A possible (last resort) option. - The Manual has details of how to reset the EEPROM on the system board. It seems to indicate that resetting the EEPROM will delete (amongst many other things) the ink useage information. A drastic step, not for the faint hearted, and certainly not to be done if the printer is still under warranty (sic).

I downloaded the manual from http://www.2manuals.com after a Google search; cost was a very reasonable $10. (I have no connection with that site.)
techdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 6:00 AM   #59

techdev wrote:
Quote:
I've just looked at the CanoniP4200 Service Manual (QY8-13A9-000). There's no on-board battery shown in it; and, none islisted as a replacement part. Seems to indicate no such battery exists as was suggested by Benl. Delete that option.

A possible (last resort) option. - The Manual has details of how to reset the EEPROM on the system board. It seems to indicate that resetting the EEPROM will delete (amongst many other things) the ink useage information. A drastic step, not for the faint hearted, and certainly not to be done if the printer is still under warranty (sic).

I downloaded the manual from http://www.2manuals.com after a Google search; cost was a very reasonable $10. (I have no connection with that site.)

I think someone needs toemail that manual to me ?:G

knightcrawler@gmail.com
KnightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 6:35 AM   #60

techdev wrote:
Quote:
The Manual has details of how to reset the EEPROM on the system board. It seems to indicate that resetting the EEPROM will delete (amongst many other things) the ink useage information.
What happens if you remove a chipped cartridge and put it in another printer? Does the ink level follow the chip?? If so, I doubt re-setting the EEPROM will do much good
:?